Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #16
FreediveCA

Re: Technique TELL ME (Your Success Secrets)

What kind of fish would you say react to the rattling and tapping? For the bottle idea, is it an empty bottle?
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:24 PM   #17
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Carrying anything except your gun underwater is unnecessary. From my experience all fish react positively to simple small raps of a swivel and small scratches of other substances. As with everything too much is no good especially strumming of bands. I will give a couple small rubs on occasion but thats about it. Too much band movement actually scares fish. K.I.S.S.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #18
Puerto Beach
Puerto Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
Only fish in pacific where midwater swimming is done are macks, dogtooth and occasional GT. The midgun extension is for midwater free swimming fish only. The majority of pacific reef fishing spearing is done laying on the bottom. I always have my gun extended while on bottom. I orientate myself towards where the fish come from. Fish as a norm, will come towards where you are pointing. Depending on the species, thats where the spoon or flopper tip flashing comes into play. Its not a big flashing your muzzle but nothing more than a flick of wrist or two. Some species are extremely skiddish much so that if you look at them they will not come close enough for a shot. Other than when those fish are present, you must be looking to moment you arrive on bottom. If you wait for a minute you are missing out on many fish. When you hit bottom, fish will make one close run in towards you and then after that their passes wil get further and further away with each pass. If you wait before looking, imagine how many fish have left?
Most of the time I have to imagine fish because their are none. (lol)

I take your point I look around before I duck my head down because it seems the few time I have spotted one from a far he sees me see him and game over but in truth a couple of weeks ago using that practice I open my eyes and two huge trivially were right on top of me. I panicked and lost them both. It's hard to curse underwater.

After reflection the reason I do the I am asleep drama is because I fear moving my head around to quickly will alert them and put them on guard.

When I have my eyes closed I conserve oxygen better and can do the zen thing giving fish I could not see in the visible area when I hit bottom more time to approach with comfort. I do peek. I find if I relax all my muscles and let the gun lie on the bottom while I am prone it also help me conserve o2.

However you make a most excellent point. I will keep my radar (eyes) on alert I can'T honestly tell you how many fish I have missed because I didn't see them

Last edited by Puerto Beach; 04-14-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Puerto Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #19
anthropisces

Quote:
Carrying anything except your gun underwater is unnecessary. From my experience all fish react positively to simple small raps of a swivel and small scratches of other substances. As with everything too much is no good especially strumming of bands. I will give a couple small rubs on occasion but thats about it. Too much band movement actually scares fish. K.I.S.S.
I like it when the bulls have you covered and then one of your "buddies" on the surface starts strumming his bands for all its worth. It really gets the sharks both above beside and below you good and agitated.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #20
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

~~ "Buddies" ?
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #21
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Great stuff 2fishing2! Thank you.
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #22
Ryanfish

Nothing I love more then crushing a water bottle right when Tom reaches the bottom of the flasher.
Ryanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #23
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Grouper hunting....when looking at a grouper straight on from the head watch his outstretched pectoral fins. When he is about to swim away, he wil "drop" the pectoral in the direction he will turn. When he stops this pectoral fin, he is going to turn in that direction and swim away.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:45 AM   #24
parker

Quote:
Grouper hunting....when looking at a grouper straight on from the head watch his outstretched pectoral fins. When he is about to swim away, he wil "drop" the pectoral in the direction he will turn. When he stops this pectoral fin, he is going to turn in that direction and swim away.
Hmmm, didn't know that one.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #25
Andrew Makely

I just wanted to comment on this thread because it has such good information and it should be read by anybody looking to improve their technique.

It was mentioned before but always fish where the fish are, not where yo think they will be. I have wasted so much time swimming over areas that look great but have no fish, instead of areas where the fish were congregating.

Much is made of tweaking your gun for absolute power, but do you have to be in perfect position to control it when you pull the trigger? Hence the comment before about sometimes under-powered is better (for reef fish).

Thanks for all the good information!
Andrew Makely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #26
Marco

Good stuff here.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #27
ZacharySmall

Where are you hunting at? I am also on the China Sea, if you are close, I will take you out with me.
ZacharySmall is offline   Reply With Quote