Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #46
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt
Re: JBL Pole Spear Modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMITLESS View Post
Ling- i can admire that! im a Mech engineer (still in school) but i love to play in the machine shop, the hardest thing is cutting a personal part without the shop boss coming over and asking too many questions... we don't have any wire EDM's but we have a bunch of lathes, an old CNC, and some drill presses..
Yep, trying to run a side (G-job) thru a shop can be difficult. Most bosses don't mind letting you do side work, as long as you are not selling them for cash. If you ask and make the part on non-work hours, and also share some fresh fish with him, you be surprised what he will let you do.

My dive buddy built a house, some 10+ years ago and I talked him into digging out one side of it for a basement with side entrance. Made a great Butcher room.
But anyway we wanted some long Stainless butcher tables. We needed to use the shop's brake that had some 15 foot capability. We asked and he was ok with it as it was for a home project that was free to end user for home use only. Ordered material and had it delivered to shop and then we went in on a Sat and bend up the back splashes and Doug (el_pedorro) on SB, did the welding and fab work... It worked by asking.

You get hurt or something making a side part is a boss's main concern, he's on the hook for that.

Making parts without asking will get you in hot water real fast. I recall them making some machined parts for a Ferrari once, All of them were Car types, so this went thru as well.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #47
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

The machine shop I referring to is on campus at school so it's a whole other ball game... Lol but you don't want to do something without permission that's for sure...

https://youtu.be/Dkqo-KWsjfQ
matthew7stall(at)gmail(dot)com
LIMITLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #48
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMITLESS View Post
The machine shop I referring to is on campus at school so it's a whole other ball game... Lol but you don't want to do something without permission that's for sure...
I took some Classes at local Jr College and they were open to side jobs. Not been over there in a while, but I still have access to making parts over there. I have to sign a form for liability each time, but not a bad deal at all. Got access to their Metallurgy Lab as well.

I did fix one of their heat treating ovens for free and that helped. I knew the Dept head as well. He let me skip the basic course work and just do the advanced classes, but I had the shop experience already.

He used to run a local shop sharpening End mills, he knew all of us at the old company as we were a big customer of his.

Sounds like I got a good deal with them, more than I realized.

3 to 1 odds says someone there took advantage of the them, so it's tighter.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #49
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

Ya, I agree with your conclusion....

https://youtu.be/Dkqo-KWsjfQ
matthew7stall(at)gmail(dot)com
LIMITLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #50
VincentNJ

That's awesome. How is it holding up for anyone that is using this set up? The original setup puts so much stress on the part of the band that comes out of the shaft and stretches over the metal...my first band started to fret where it stretched over the opening and within a few more loads it would of snapped...so I went back to the dive shop where I bought it and they gave me a new band for free but said if it happens again I'll have to take it up with JBL.
VincentNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #51
VincentNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
You guys are making it way more work than it needs to be and adding a new fail point in the process . Unless its cross pinned that plug could pull out when fighting a fish .
It can be like this

Phil
Did you actually use this setup? How did it work?
VincentNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:39 AM   #52
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentNJ View Post
Did you actually use this setup? How did it work?
yes that is how i have always done my band on my jbl , never had any problems

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #53
pozofreediver

Can I order one from someone? Really need a new cap.
pozofreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #54
pozofreediver

Can you tell me where to get a cap?
Old 10-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #55
Trautfel

Id be interested in one also if there is any available.
Trautfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:59 AM   #56
pozofreediver

I ordered the part from this guy on ebay, fits well and works fine, but pretty steep on the price. I suggest talking him down or finding someone else.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket-...-/251481867833
Old 10-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #57
geofri
Ectothermic member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozofreediver View Post
I ordered the part from this guy on ebay, fits well and works fine, but pretty steep on the price. I suggest talking him down or finding someone else.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aftermarket-...-/251481867833
$16 shipped is steep? For a small run of custom parts that isn't bad at all.

Maybe if it were MIM cast in China by the thousands..
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:50 AM   #58
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

John makes many custom to semi custom parts, that you’re just not going to find anywhere. At one time in this country, most men had jobs that made things, today those jobs are few and fewer are the people that can machine, weld, bend, grind, fab metal into usable stuff from their own ideas or ideas from others.
Not too long ago, you could walk down any city street in the US and find a half dozen guys who either could make that part over a couple of beers or at least take your drawing and have it machined and back to you the next day.

I have to walk 8 houses down, two streets over and then 5 houses down to find someone that can make that part. Out of 300 homes in my neighborhood I bet there are less than 10 people that can make that part and only 3-4 that can do it out of their garage.

Ever price a simple CNC lathe plus tooling? Anything decent and new is going to run $30K plus tooling. Just really to get your toe wet is $5-$12K in tooling. His machine has C axis so there is $15k in live tooling and this isn't even consumables. I've been to Johns garage and he has invested a pretty penny on his equipment.

To me he undercharges, for him, he is comfortable what he sales his time for. His prices on most his stuff really is under market value but high in quality. All his gear is made in the USA by him, all of it. That is rare these days.

Thanks John, for burning the candle late into the eve and early in the AM bent over your machinery trying to get a rush order out to friendly fellow spearos around the world.

Multiple times I've conversed by text, phone or email at 0100 and I ask him what’s he doing up, and his typical answer is "oh I got a guy who's heading out on a trip and he wants such and such custom made and sent tomorrow so he'll get it in time." Then again at 0530 the same day I’m headed into work and I'll get a message about something he came up with or something we were working on together and he figured it out. And I know he still had at least an hour to complete the custom order and here he is up and out to meet a new day with no complaints.

The spearo who got the custom part, probably doesn't even know what he put into it.

And John isn't the only one. I've talked to Dustin form Gatku, Brad from Headhunter, and Andy from Foldspear at odd hours and they have been doing the same thing. Filling orders for us spearos who procrastinate
And I’d bet there are a lot of custom gun guys who do the same thing without any fanfare.

Just thought you'd like to know how that part got on the back of your spear.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #59
Trautfel

Thank you pozofreediver for providing the link but I agree with Aaron ... for such a great improvement the price is more than fair. I feel lucky someone took the time and effort to make this part. I just ordered one from John's ebay store and cant wait to try this set up. Now I need to find a better sling to go with it ....any suggestions where I can order one with more "umpfff" ?
Trautfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #60
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trautfel View Post
Thank you pozofreediver for providing the link but I agree with Aaron ... for such a great improvement the price is more than fair. I feel lucky someone took the time and effort to make this part. I just ordered one from John's ebay store and cant wait to try this set up. Now I need to find a better sling to go with it ....any suggestions where I can order one with more "umpfff" ?
Tie your own bands, in place, to get the maximum band stretch using 1/2" outside diameter (13mm) with 1/8" inside diameter latex tubing cut to 3:1 stretch ratio (100% static band + 200% elongation) and your JBL pole spear will come alive. This will give you ~55 pounds of band force. If that is too much, use the 1/2" (13mm) outside diameter with 1/4" inside diameter latex tubing cut to the same 3:1 stretch ratio to get ~45 pounds of band force.

Add a 12" AB Biller Shaft Tip http://www.abbiller.com/products/spear-points-tips/ and you will have a serious fish killer. I have the double flopper version with the 1/2" band setup on my 6 ft JBL pole spear and it slams fish hard.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote