Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
Charles dT

Advice on repairing an epoxy track?

Hello my friends,

I recently acquired for a good price this Tuna gun but there is no mech and the epoxy enclosed track has 2 issues:
-it's pretty rough where the shafts slides, it nearly feels like it was not cut out but somehow molded. I can live with that but just curious as I have never seen this technique on this forum.
-there's roughly 1 inch that tore away right at the beginning of the track. see pictures

I'm hoping you can offer some guidance on how to fix this?
Can I make a local repair without having the take all the epoxy out?
If I need to take the epoxy out is that done with a router, I guess so?

I don't have access so far to a router etc but I'll be trying to find a neighbour that has one (I'm close to San Francisco, if ever a spearo wants to help out...)

Any suggestions most welcome!

Also if anyone can ID the wood that would be awesome. It's super heavy so I'm thinking Padauk but am no expert.

Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180213_194634.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	236973   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180213_194655.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	236974   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180213_194704.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	236975   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180213_194447.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	236976  
Charles dT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #2
Xylophone

Re: Advice on repairing an epoxy track?

Looks like teak to me. It's heavy cuz it's probably already ballasted.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #3
Orbayburak

It does look like teak. During my gun build i cut the track too big and to fix it i re poured it and re cut it with smaller router bit. You don’t have to take the existing epoxy out just pour more on top.
Orbayburak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
Wood Guy

Probably teak, but the pics aren't clear enough to see the grain, so it's a little hard to tell. Look for where the ballasting is because that will give you an idea where and how much it might be ballasted.

As for the broken track, it's weird that that much track would just break away, especially where it did. I would suggest mixing a paste of epoxy with graphite or an epoxy thickener with some graphite for color, and applying it in a way that builds out the track without completely filling it in. Then re-route it if you have a router and table available. If not, use sandpaper (80 grit at first) around a smaller shaft, then around the shaft size you will use to get the final shape you want. Patience, lots of patience! If all else fails, you are out lots of time and a little epoxy, and you can always route out the track and re-pour it.

Just my thoughts.
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
Charles dT

Thanks everyone!

Patience I have some (remember the Ikea speargun...). I will do as you guys suggested and keep you posted.

I'll post in the local california section a note to see if there would be anyone in my area OK to lend me a router...

Thanks again!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:25 AM   #6
Behslayer

Looks like a serious Chunk of teak.

If it's straight you got a nice slab to work with maybe consider doing a some shaping?

To fix that part of the Epoxy Track, I'd plug up the mech opening using something like caulking or that putty which is used to keep drafts out of windows. then plug the track just forward of the missing part. Then fill with graphite Epoxy mix. then hog out with 7/32" straight bit then re route the section with Ball bit to match. Then file the opening flush and wrap a shaft with some sand paper and make the join in the track flush.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
Charles dT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Looks like a serious Chunk of teak.

If it's straight you got a nice slab to work with maybe consider doing a some shaping?

To fix that part of the Epoxy Track, I'd plug up the mech opening using something like caulking or that putty which is used to keep drafts out of windows. then plug the track just forward of the missing part. Then fill with graphite Epoxy mix. then hog out with 7/32" straight bit then re route the section with Ball bit to match. Then file the opening flush and wrap a shaft with some sand paper and make the join in the track flush.
Thanks so much Behslayer. I'll do exactly that!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:26 AM   #8
manoa matt

I'd just buy a sharp chisel or Dremel and make it symmetrical. The track is not doing much there, and the shaft will align and engage in the mech as is (once you smooth it out)
manoa matt is offline   Reply With Quote