Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
Rhodyhunter
My Life for Freedom

Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15 Angler initial review

Prowler Trident 15 Angler initial review
Hello All, I just purchased a Trident 15 angler and wanted to share my review of this kayak. I was told that there might be a few people on this board that would be interested in this information. I have searched and didnít see an all inclusive review of this product with the Spearfisherperson in mind, and thought I might give some insight into the product. Seeing as I committed to buying one.
First and foremost I will give you a brief back story leading up to the purchase. Last year, while I was sitting in the desert, I decided I was going to take up the lifestyle of spearfishing. I had dabbled with this when I lived in Rhode Island, in my youth, shooting Tatoug and stripers with friends during the summer.
My wife decided she didnít want to live in the cold any longer so she moved all of our stuff to Miami. Great, new town, didnít know anyone, didnít know what the town had to offer for recreation. Except to spend a lot of money in clubs with rich twenty somethings that I have nothing in common with. So, like the man said, when dealt lemons, make lemonade. So, the idea of Spearfishing came to mind. Awesome! What better place to undertake this sport? I had heard of the clear visilibilty of the waters here. 50,60, 100ft. of visibility and warm water! I had grown up diving in water that, on a good day, would only be thirty feet max and during the height of summer would possibly approach seventy degrees.
It took me a while to find places to go out here. I had zero knowledge of the area. I didnít have a boat. I didnít know anyone with a boat. So I was pretty much stranded. I tried beach diving once at Miami beach solo, and I wonít do that again. I wonít dive solo. During my tenure in the middle east I had internet access and had been lurking In the shadows reading the daily entries on Spearboard trying to glean any information I could.
I had visited a few places that had been recommended to me and see what they had to offer. I found some very good yaks online, but nothing that looked like it would easily accommodate a heavy spearfisherman. I looked over the offerings of a few manufacturers and decided that the Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 would be it. I found authorized dealers online and went to go check it out. When I got there I found that nobody had the prowler 15 in stock, only the 13ís. No problem I tried to fit the guns in the 13. It worked. So, after a brief deliberation (one day) I ordered one. I got a call from the dealer a day later saying that the distributor didnít have any in stock, so I would have to wait for another run. So, another week went by and I finally got the kayak. So here we go.
I am 6 feet 2 inches and 248 pounds. So, a shrinking violet I am not. The Ocean kayak touts itself to carry a maximum capacity of 550 pounds. It doesnít disappoint.
The first launching was at Meade street. All my gear fit inside the kayak. The ďrod PodĒ facilitates my putting my 55Ē Wong hybrid, pole spear, mask, water, etc. A problem that I encountered with all this room is that things tend to shift. It is open from stem to stern. So if by chance any of your gear tends to shift aft under the seat, then you would be hard pressed to retrieve it under way. (this happened with my water bottle). Other than the aforementioned situation, I feel that, because of this feature, this is what nudges this model above the rest.
The weight of kayak is 60 lbs. and easily carried by one person due to the handles that come standard with the angler edition. I havenít yet purchased the trolley, so I was required to drag it across the beach to the waters edge. This was no problem.
Again, everything, with the exception of the anchor and anchor line, which was in the rear cargo well behind the seat, was stored inside the yak, so it wasnít able to be lost if the kayak tipped over in the surf. The surf was 1 to 3 ft. sets and with a few strokes of the paddle I was through the surf zone without incident. I didnít have problems with the acceleration, as I have read in previous reviews( Iíll chalk it up to nervous energy or the two cups of coffee I drank before I got there) and it tracked straight. I am not going to purchase the rudder system. The molded in foot rests afforded plenty of leverage to ďdig inĒ if need be.
We decided to go South to second reef I canít remember how far it was but, it was at a leisurely pace. And the yak performed really well. It tracked straight didnít take a lot of energy to keep it going. I can say that this kayak will not turn on a dime. Itís more like a battleship than a PT boat. But what it gives up in maneuverability it more than makes up in capacity and smooth ride. I might add that this is a very dry yak. You sit rather high in the saddle compared to a Hobie that I usually borrow and the bow entry carves through the chop. It is also very stable laterally. I dare say if the seas were calmer I would venture to even stand up in it. The brochure says that it is 29 inches wide. That is a plus for me beingÖahemÖ. Big boned.
Now after we had arrived at our destination, and anchored I unbuckled the rod pod to retrieve my gun and essentials. This is when I found out that my water bottle had moved to the rear of the kayak.
Again, the stability of the yak afforded me to easily to don my fins mask and retrieve my gun from the yak. After I was set to go, I moved up from the seat to sit directly on the rod pod, It held my weight and didnít buckle at all. I was worried about this. But it came through with flying colors.
I would like to comment about mounting and dismounting. There are some modifications I will be making to this yak. I would remove and fill in the holes to the port paddle keeper.(you can choose what side, I get on and off the yak on the port side.) I previously caught my wetsuit on a ďnubĒ and got a small tear in my wetsuit. (I am very careful now to look out for these). So I will fill in any port side protuberances that might tear my suit.
During the time we were out there the seas had deteriorated and we were seeing a solid three foot chop with whitecaps. The visibility was crap so I decide to go in.
Getting back onto the kayak was as easy as getting off. I mounted on top of the rod pod and slid back into the seat. Easy.
It took a few moments to store everything back inside the kayak and I was ready to go.
On the way back in it really cut through the waves. (it helps when the wind is at your back) and kept momentum fairly well when you stopped paddling.
The entry to the beach was uneventful keeping the pointy end in the right direction wasnít much trouble at all. And a quick egress and it was up on the beach. I pulled it up on the sand near to the parking lot and unloaded and cleaned the kayak to get ready to leave.
Putting the kayak up on the truck was not a chore. It took a few minutes to Tie it down and it was ready to go.
Some of the modifications I will be making to this kayak to make it more spearo friendly:
1. Remove hardware and plugs holes that may catch on wetsuit.
2. I will purchase the seat with the bag on the back to carry water and snacks.
3. I am going to fashion an anchor line system to move the fairlead of the anchor line from the bow, to amidships and vice a versa to facilitate easier deployment/retrieval
4. Fashion a dive flag holder out of a teak cylinder to make it more secure in the rod holders.(I have on attached to an old fishing rod.)

I hope this helps any potential kayak buyers out there. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Pain is Weakness leaving the Body.
Rhodyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
hau
peskadot

Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15 Angler initial review

Rhodyhunter---great detailed informative review of your new yak. I'm sure your review will be helpful for others. Please report back after you have accumulated an amount of sea hours on your new vessal.
I'm sure it will give you many hours of enjoyment
Old 03-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Rhody, sorry I missed you guys on sat, if it looked more inviting I was gonna swim out and say hello, but when ozzy told me all he saw were grunts, i hit the marine flea market instead

Great write up!!!

congrats on the new craft, now go get some fish blood on it(keep away bad mojo)

I have a lot of yak rigging and yak rigging experieince, as does hau and a few others on here..ask/pM before buying anything cos we might be able to give you some extras.

are you going to be using this yak for R&R fishing as well? if not, you might want to not do a full anchor trolly, maybe just one from stern to bow...the ability to face either way in the current is more of a plus if you're fishins, for diving, as long as the yak is oriented straight into the current, front or back makes little difference and the long trolly rope on the side of the yak can be a bitch.

we're here to help so don't hesitate to hollar.

dive safely and may the yak serve you well for many many healthy years to come
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
steepNdeep
Wet spears

Thanks, great review! I've been debating about buying an ocean yak and top of my list was the Prowler 13 - rod pod was the clincher. How was it for speed relative to other yaks? Regardless, I'm sure it will be a laser relative to the inflatable or river yak that I've owned...
steepNdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Rhodyhunter
My Life for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by steepNdeep View Post
Thanks, great review! I've been debating about buying an ocean yak and top of my list was the Prowler 13 - rod pod was the clincher. How was it for speed relative to other yaks? Regardless, I'm sure it will be a laser relative to the inflatable or river yak that I've owned...
I have been using a Hobie that Hau has let me borrow and it is a great yak. Now, being new to the yak scene I haven't been in an all out race with another yak. So, It may be my improving technique or the weight capacity of the yak. but I feel that it seems to be able to hold it's own in the speed department but I will let you know. I can say that I am very satisfied with it's performance to date. I will keep you posted.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Rhodyhunter
My Life for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkerBuster View Post
Rhody, sorry I missed you guys on sat, if it looked more inviting I was gonna swim out and say hello, but when ozzy told me all he saw were grunts, i hit the marine flea market instead

Great write up!!!

congrats on the new craft, now go get some fish blood on it(keep away bad mojo)

I have a lot of yak rigging and yak rigging experieince, as does hau and a few others on here..ask/pM before buying anything cos we might be able to give you some extras.

are you going to be using this yak for R&R fishing as well? if not, you might want to not do a full anchor trolly, maybe just one from stern to bow...the ability to face either way in the current is more of a plus if you're fishins, for diving, as long as the yak is oriented straight into the current, front or back makes little difference and the long trolly rope on the side of the yak can be a bitch.

we're here to help so don't hesitate to hollar.

dive safely and may the yak serve you well for many many healthy years to come
Thanks for the support. I will take you up on your offer.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
Rhodyhunter
My Life for Freedom

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03108.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	124145   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03107.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	124146  

Old 03-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Rinaldo
Extreme Freediver

Send a message via AIM to Rinaldo

Why don't you tow the Kayak as you swim?
Rinaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Rhodyhunter
My Life for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinaldo View Post
Why don't you tow the Kayak as you swim?
Uuumm...... I do.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
Ancient Diver
Life is Good !

I have a Trident 15, an older version Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160, and a OK Prowler 15. I too did a lot of research before buying, and have no regrets with the Trident 15. I wish I had bought a second Trident at 13 feet, since it would be easier for my 12 year old to handle by himself. The Trident holds more, carries more weight, and has a great hatch for guns and gear, and is my favorite when I am going out to spear. The Tarpon 160 is a half-foot longer, and is faster, and a great boat too. Any yak 15 feet long is a pig to turn, regardless of who makes it. I plan on adding a rudder to my two boats that don't already have one to make them easier to handle, and a fish finder/GPS to the Trident. All in good time. Best of luck to you with your new boat.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
Rhodyhunter
My Life for Freedom

Thanks,

Old 03-31-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
Fis_Hunter

I have the Prowler 15 love it Great review. I think the rudder is not so much to help you go straight as to help you turn. I was thinking of getting a rudder but have been going without for a while now and it is fine. I went out with a couple of my friends and the prowler appeared to be faster then the other boats.

I have added several short ropes with clips to attach gear to. I attach the ropes when not in use to the line attached to the pod cover it keeps them handy.