Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
KillItNGrillIt

Yak choice

I am looking for a Kayak to use in So Cal. I was looking at the Cobra FishNDive and Navigator XF and the Malibu Mini-X and X Factor. I have kids so I liked the capacity of the FND and ability to add the gatorseat to the X factor. Any opinions?
Dave
KillItNGrillIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
fishyak
Going deeper!

Re: Yak choice

i have the navigator and am i big fan except it is slow. otherwise its great, alot of storage and very stable.

-Gabe

"You gotta watch out if you don't know where you're goin', you just might not get there." -Yogi Berra
fishyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Robbert

I had used Kayaks before on some long paddles so I had decided I wanted somthing that was a bit on the faster side. After a lot of research I determined that fastest out there were the Hobie Mirage with the pedal system and the Wilderness System Tarpons. I ended up getting a Tarpon 140.

The reports of speed seem to be true - it seems quite fast and easy to paddle. The other report I heard quit a bit was a lot of hatches don't seem to be all that dry. The Tarpons have a unique hatch system that I was a bit skeptical of at first but they have proven to be very dry.

I think the perfect Kayak depends on where and how you are going to be using it. If your not paddling long distances it's a moot point.

I did seriously consider the Hobie with the pedal system and after taking out my Tarpon several times now might still recommend it. I only have two issues with it - I go through a lot of kelp and every once in a while the pedal system can get hung up. Also, a Kayak can get full quite quickly and the added "stuff" of the pedal system was not appealing to me.

I also have kids but only the youngest boy at 14 would be the only one going out with me sometimes. I assume your kids are younger and a Gator Hatch might be a fun option for those once in a whiles when you want to take the kids out. I'll be getting my 14 year old his own as he seems to like it a lot. I have had to rent him one several times now.

If you have any more questions let me know.

- Robbert
Robbert@Speartrips.com

Last edited by Robbert; 06-14-2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: verbage
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

I guy i know will not use a yak without a mirage drive. when its early, freezing and rough he loves that he can pour himself coffe and drink it while his buddies are paddling their asses off. the only thing is they suck through any kelp.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Pirate Dave

try an outrigger canoe
http://www.hobiecat.com/adventure-is...re_island.html
http://www.riotkayaks.com/v3/fw_nalu.asp
Pirate Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:35 AM   #6
keyone

KillItNGrillIt
www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/index.html
This is what I use in the Atlantic and Keys. No kelp here, but the guys I know in Cal peddle out to the kelp and then lift out the peddle system [Mirage] and paddle as any other yak. I can easily cruise at 5mph with the Mirage drive while doing other things with my hands like working the GPS and Hummingbird Piranah 215 fishfinder or binoculars. Before I bought my Hobie Adventure I did a sea trial with the Mirage drive and never looked back. I take my paddle along, stowed down in the hatch, just incase. Please do yourself a favor and try out the Hobie before you buy. Go to the Hobie web site and click on the tug-of-war, peddle vs paddle. I've spent months fine tuning my yak and accesories and would be happy to answer as many questions as I can. I am no pro by far, just willing to offer my 2 cents. Gregg
keyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:30 AM   #7
BreathlessSight

You can also upgrade the pedal system with better flaps for more propulsion.
BreathlessSight is offline   Reply With Quote