Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
stubbie1111

Kinda New....Kinda Not!

Hello,
Kinda New here to the NW pertaining to Diving as I just got certified....kinda not as I have lives here in WA for years! Kinda new to the spearfishing up here because I just got certified scuba, but kinda not new to spearfishing as I lived in South Florida and speared alot down there on the rock patches (reefs). Anyone up for some spearing and gathering? I have one dive buddy, and he and I both have boats. Not looking to mooch off of anyone, we are just looking for some more friends to hunt/gather with as we seem to be a minority up here in the Pacific NW.
Kevin
stubbie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Samik
Nature Laughs Last

Re: Kinda New....Kinda Not!

Welcome to the PacNor!

we do quite a bit of spearfishing just north of you in BC, but none of my crew hunts on Scuba. maybe try the local dive clubs? be prepared though, as most of the scoobies I meet arn't to keen on spearing...
Old 10-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
stubbie1111

Amen to that! I joined a dive club up here and mentioned the word spear, and you would have thought I chewed out the Pope. Needless to say I am no longer part of that club......I have no liberal in me! What are the best tasting fish here in the PNW? Of course Ling and Rockfish, but I was told kelp greenling is also very good too. Any others? The Puget Sound seems pretty scarce of fish......seems like the Straits of JDF are more abundant. Anyone else had luck in the sound?
Old 10-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
aquamarine

Hey All!! I'm Stub's partner in crime! He's originally from Florida and is NAVY here; I'm from Nebraska (yep... - we DO have fish, and spearfishing tournaments in NE) which is where and how I whetted my skills. Things are just reverse in NE from what they are here... - if you're on a rancher's land, particularly in the presence of other hunters... - and you start talking skank about hunting... - you'll leave the property - one way or the other! Seriously!

The Stubs speaks of occurred a couple of weeks ago; I'm gonna post a separate thread about it because as an ex attorney - I really do want to know what he and I are dealing with up here. In the mean-time, remember... - united we stand ...

Both Stub's and I look forward very much to getting to know as many of you fellow 'predators' and gatherers (scallops, clams, etc.) as we can. We're both very easy going, but as you'll learn from conversing with Kevin, and following my thread - we don't bully too well, and we suspect... - neither to YOU guys!!! Therefore- it's truly a pleasure to know ya!!! We've got your backs!
aquamarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
North Star
Max

Stub and Aqua - Good to have some fellow fish killers up here. I am in Oregon, so probably won't see you anytime soon, but glad to have you around. The Washington guys can hook you up with good spots in the Sound and Straits. Start by reading all the old posts in this section - lots of Washington posts. Good hunting!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
stubbie1111

North,
Let us know ahead of time and we'll take a road trip down to OR. to see what you have down there. Ofcourse, I would have to clear that with the BOSS (wife), and if you ever come this way we would be more than happy to show you around the Puget Sound. We know a few spots here and there.
The green freaks up here drive us nuts... Aqua and I are both just a couple of old boys that love to dive, and provide meals for our family too. Give us a shout sometime..... I feel we would get along just fine!
Stubbie
Old 10-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Samik
Nature Laughs Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbie1111 View Post
Of course Ling and Rockfish, but I was told kelp greenling is also very good too.
Greenling is delicious, and you get a lot of meat off of them. I prefer them blackened on a bun as a fishwich

don't chase them, lie still on the bottom and let them come to you, very curious fish.

an oldie...

YouTube - Greenling Aspetto
Old 10-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
stubbie1111

ALL,
Thanks to all for your replies and PM.....Keep them coming as I feel you can never have enough dive buddies.....If a couple of you Skinners want to hang with some Scubbies we can scope out where the fish are on the bottom and maybe point you guys on the surface in the right direction. Who am I to say though??? Maybe you might point us in the right direction! Either way I think it's great to broaden your circle of friends, because sometimes people have plans or can't always go....for instance this weekend I was down and out, and I bet my buddy would have loved to go, I was sick however and in no shape to go diving. So if there are divers, scuba or not that are iterested in diving and spearing with a couple of good ole' boys...drop me a line.
Stubbie
Old 10-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
aquamarine

North:

Thanks for the warm welcome; we both appreciate it! I have fond memories of traveling up the Coast Highway some years back with my Son. I recall the sea-mounts, which fascinate me to this day. Do you guys dive those? Both Stub and I can see the many benefits of harvesting in the Sea, as opposed to The Sound. Are there Scallops (I'm the Scallop hound he's a rootin' around for...)on those structures? Will you share a bit more with us about how and where you guys dive in OR?? Thanks much! Ask any questions you have of us; although we're both new to diving the PNW - I've spoken with a couple of Biologists and several other (closet) harvesters of shellfish. - Bob
Old 10-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
aquamarine

Samik:

Hey! Thanks for the info.! I grilled some Greenling over charcoal, seasoned only with Lawry's seasoned salt and pepper... - didn't even saute' or baste it in butter as I often will fish and shellfish - and WOW - what a surprise! You're right. It is delicious. I'd put it right up there with Blue Hake - which is my favorite fish! Your recipe sounds intriguing; I'm gonna try it. Hope we can all get together and fish sometime, and then have a "fry"! Thanks again, sincerely for your comments and advice. -Bob
Old 10-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
stubbie1111

I agree! We just fried some greenling! Wow very moist and flakey white meat w/o the fishy taste! Very delicious!
Old 10-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarine View Post
North:

Thanks for the warm welcome; we both appreciate it! I have fond memories of traveling up the Coast Highway some years back with my Son. I recall the sea-mounts, which fascinate me to this day. Do you guys dive those? Both Stub and I can see the many benefits of harvesting in the Sea, as opposed to The Sound. Are there Scallops (I'm the Scallop hound he's a rootin' around for...)on those structures? Will you share a bit more with us about how and where you guys dive in OR?? Thanks much! Ask any questions you have of us; although we're both new to diving the PNW - I've spoken with a couple of Biologists and several other (closet) harvesters of shellfish. - Bob
We dive both the north and south reef out of Newport Oregon, (Yaquina Harbor) and there are scallops out there, and we harvest them. Check out my trip reports on this section. There is a lot of info on them. TTYL
Old 10-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
stubbie1111

ALL,
Heading out tomorrow! Bob and I are going to blow some bubbles (Scuba) in the Puget Sound, and maybe bring back some Fresh seafood!!! I will let you all know how we did tomorrow evening! Anyone else heading out?
stubbie1111
Old 10-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
Samik
Nature Laughs Last

Good Luck, Dive Safe. and take some pictures!
Old 10-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
stubbie1111

Well,
Man the weather stunk! We were going to take the boat out and launch at Salsibury point, but the dock was removed (I believe for the winter season). So we drove upto Mats Mats bay and got it launched....soon as we got out of the marina we hit 2-4 foot chop. Terrible! We did not want to anchor out by rock out croppings especially with those kind of seas in a 22' cuddy, and leave my son who is nine onboard alone. He's pretty good, and one heck of a fisherman, but I do believe it would have scared him today. So as we got just back inside of the marina break wall I jumped in the water to see if we might beable to stay just inside the walls.....nothing! A couple of starfish, and that was it. Bare rock, and a little sea weed along the bottom. Not a single fish, crab, nope there was nothing. So we loaded the boat back up, and discussed trying a shore dive, up in Port Hadlock. By the time we got everything done and arrived in P.H. it was getting late, we were tired, and chilled, so we decided not to spend an hour below the surface. The weather moved in on us pretty quick today...about 3-4 hours sooner than expected. So we called it a day and will prob. try again this next week. As Samick said...be safe, and thats what we felt we accomplished today! Will keep you updated with what we find, the next time we go.
Kevin

Last edited by stubbie1111; 10-30-2010 at 09:41 PM.