Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 04-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
SeaSick2

Fishfinder/GPS recommendations

My 10+ year old Garmin 186 finally decided to quit working this weekend, so now I'm in the market for a new machine. Since I hadn't bought one in a while I thought I would get some insight on what people are using and how they like them in the area I fish (Gulf of Mexico). I have looked at a few machines, Lowrance HDS-5, Garmin 541s, Garmin 400c. Although having GPS on it is not required because I use a seperate GPS unit, I do like having the second one for backup. If anybody has a fishfinder only unit they really like I want to hear about that to. While brand doesn't really matter I would like to stay under the $700 mark if possible. Any info would be appreciated.
SeaSick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Prater
Steven

Send a message via AIM to Prater Send a message via Yahoo to Prater
Re: Fishfinder/GPS recommendations

We have the HDS 5 and HDS 7 on dads bass boat. Dont know how well they will do in the gulf but they are easy to read and function great. Just added sidescan sonar...I would go for the 7 over the 5, just for the extra screen size.
Prater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
russfer

Re: Fishfinder/GPS recommendations

I've got both the Garmin 441s and the 541s on my boat. I use the 441s for GPS, engine and fuel info. The 541s does the Sounder duties. If anything happens to either one then the other can serve both duties. I love both units!
russfer is offline   Reply With Quote