Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
Blue Man

Re: Trapped Underwater Fighting a 65lb+ White Seabass (Video)

I'm guessing you're new to film making, but I think you should try to keep the camera a little more steady as it makes it easier to follow what's happening.

Of course I'm kidding...I actually checked out your links in your signature and enjoyed watching your short films.

You've got an impressive breath hold dude. I probably would have died if that were me... seriously. I'm glad you posted this because I wouldn't have thought about the ideal way to approach a fish without this post; I especially liked Kingspear's 2nd comment above.

I'm glad you're OK dude and NICE FISH!
Blue Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
Bob P
Missing the Blue

I would have not survived that, and am very glad you did.
In my very limited experience, I pull my knife before I dive to retrieve so if the fish goes apeshit, I can brain it or cut whatever needs to be cut.
Bob P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
Chainsaw

DROP YOUR WEIGHTBELT.
If ever there was a time to drop it, this was it. After you do you are extremely buoyant.
I am glad you faired so well but that was close Tanc, luckily you are young and in good shape. But ditching the weights can allow you to pop up and grab a much needed gulp of fresh air, maybe even a couple.
Sure makes float lines look more desirable too.
Great fish by the way.
Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
fisherman.Ivan
100# Club

Thanks for sharing...It was a pretty intense video

LONG BEACH NEPTUNE
fisherman.Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #20
Spearo1

Hey Tanc.. Glad to see you are alright.. had the same problem on my OMERs.. i put duct tape over them seemed to fix it..

Monster fish.. nice composure in dire circumstances.

Spearo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #21
TaxCollector

This video should be shown at every Spearo meeting. Lots of lessons to be learned from it and discussed. Like was posted earlier, with my breath hold, I would have died.

Happy Birthday.

Mike

www.woundedwarriorproject.org
TaxCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #22
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
DROP YOUR WEIGHTBELT.
If ever there was a time to drop it, this was it. After you do you are extremely buoyant.
I am glad you faired so well but that was close Tanc, luckily you are young and in good shape. But ditching the weights can allow you to pop up and grab a much needed gulp of fresh air, maybe even a couple.
Great fish by the way.
it was the shooting line that got tangled, and I misposted earlier when I said reel line. It was my shooting line as well.

Good point on the weight belt. Might not have solved the problem because he was tight to the fish, but it would have helped without a doubt.
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
beconfly
Danger to self

Extremely scary. Glad you came through it okay, and glad you posted it up. It could easily be my life you saved by posting up this video. This video gives me nightmares, and makes me think very hard about my future plan of attack when dealing with any fish that may have some fight in it.

I'm going to continue playing this in my head and hopefully auto-pilot can come on more easily when the time comes... steady breath up before going for the grab, knife ready, approach from safe angle, abort quickly if things look sketchy, and be ready to drop weight-belt if there is any doubts about surfacing safely. It is so easy to have this plan when sitting in front of my computer, but i know that events can turn south in an instant and all plans quickly forgotten in panic mode.

As much as it abhors me to think of losing any fish, particularly one as nice as that, I'd gladly lose it in a heartbeat to avoid putting myself or others in a life-threatening position.

And finally... i'm confused... did you land this fish? Is it your new-new PB?
beconfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob P View Post
I would have not survived that, and am very glad you did.
In my very limited experience, I pull my knife before I dive to retrieve so if the fish goes apeshit, I can brain it or cut whatever needs to be cut.
Me too, and I have a bungee lanyard around my wrist so I can't drop it.

That might be the only thing that would have saved me in this situation. Otherwise, I'd have been dead, no matter how long I breathed up.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #25
maguimaraes
Marcelo

Thanks for posting the video Tanc! For the entertainment value and more importantly for the helpful value of it...

Having never shot a WSB this will be very useful information to keep in mind for when the time comes!

I'll be another one to say that I probably would be in some big trouble had it happened to me.

Glad you are ok!

Marcelo
maguimaraes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
Doing Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
DROP YOUR WEIGHTBELT.
Great fish by the way.
I just wonder if the dropped weight belt could have hung up on the mono and tightened up the line further. Either way its scary shit. Ive been there before (without the wsb though). Glad you are here to talk about it.

I can tell you that when this very similar situation happened to me I panicked and am lucky to have broken free. Now when I feel anything is unusual I calmly stop what I am doing and assess. I think that this is an awesome experience to have if you survive it because it is a huge learning opportunity.
5869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #27
Smudge
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Me too, and I have a bungee lanyard around my wrist so I can't drop it.

That might be the only thing that would have saved me in this situation. Otherwise, I'd have been dead, no matter how long I breathed up.
Me three.

I learned that lesson retrieving ulua from caves.

My knife is also SHARP. Like razor sharp. I see people thinking of their knives as a tool to brain a fish. That is secondary to me. My knife is a rescue tool first and foremost. It also happens to double quite nicely as a fish ender....
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #28
aussie

I agree with a lot of the comments posted above regarding having a knife at the ready, and I think in future I may have to do this. I lost the knife once before, even with a lanyard, when a fish went ape shit, which is why I go in with the intent to subdue first, then retract the knife.

Neither here nor there I feel pretty confident that If I had the knife ready and made the decision to cut myself free instead of power kick to the surface I wouldn't be here today.

Take another look at the video, the bit where I freeze frame. All you see is kelp. At that point the thought was I'm snagged on some kelp, there's no idea of mono being tightly bound underneath. I would have wasted the last few seconds I had getting through the kelp only to find the mono.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #29
donny
<"))))><

great post... I got hung up last week in a similar situation though luckily it didn't get to the oh chit level that you were closer to... it did make me think about a better way to do it the next time.

I was able to kick loose and let go of the fish which was less green than yours. On my second drop I got the fish but realized the knife on my leg was missing, likely what had gotten stuck in the kelp/shooting line on my first drop. I use a float line and like John mentioned reel/float line might not be an advantage either way in this scenario.

My mistake was not getting the knife out for my first drop and maybe I could have gently untangled instead of using brute force to break free. It worked but conversely I could have tightened a slip knot of kelp/shooting line in another situation.

First thing that instantly went into my mind watching your video was; don't grab it yet!!! you have a good shot and that fish is big and green... WSB do give up early compared to most fish but not that early unless you have a stone shot.

Also after reading the description of how you were stuck; one option may have been to pop the fin off with your other foot/heel.

Again it is great to share these situations so we can all visualize ourselves in them so we can react better when the unexpected happens since it is not quite as unexpected as it would be with out the shared discourse.

Donny
donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #30
donny
<"))))><

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
I agree with a lot of the comments posted above regarding having a knife at the ready, and I think in future I may have to do this. I lost the knife once before, even with a lanyard, when a fish went ape shit, which is why I go in with the intent to subdue first, then retract the knife.

Neither here nor there I feel pretty confident that If I had the knife ready and made the decision to cut myself free instead of power kick to the surface I wouldn't be here today.

Take another look at the video, the bit where I freeze frame. All you see is kelp. At that point the thought was I'm snagged on some kelp, there's no idea of mono being tightly bound underneath. I would have wasted the last few seconds I had getting through the kelp only to find the mono.
just watched the video again, well done. You are obviously a professional at telling a story effectively via video.

I am of the same school as you regarding when I pull the knife, I have only brained one fish at depth and it was a grouper that wouldn't leave it's cave, other than that I just use my size to man handle the fish to the surface plus I like to have both hands ready to deal with the situation if it is a poor holding shot. I am rethinking the strategy of pulling the knife in this situation not to finish off the fish but to be better prepared for the most dangerous part (by far) of WSB hunting.

I'm sure you are aware of it but for the benefit of the readers who are not; anytime you leave yourself with seconds (less than 15-20) of breath to deal with an issue like this it is a mistake in my opinion. I have been guilty of this more than once as well and I try to always keep this in mind as I plan my actions in the water.

I really don't mean to criticize you personally, everyone makes this mistake I bet to different extents based on situations. Personally there is usually big fish or lobster involved and I constantly think about how to avoid it in the future.

Thanks again for being man enough to post the story and video, Donny
donny is offline   Reply With Quote