Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 02-10-2015, 02:58 AM   #1
Anapanasati
WWJD

Location: "live" in colorado work in southern oregon outside of grants pass
recommendations for a daytime crack light?

well before i get down to the ?? a little about my self. didnt learn to swim till 8yrs due to ear surgeries been in or on the water ever since. started diving about 10yrs when i saved up enough money to buy a mask. i saved up a couple more years for my next investment, a pole spear. still have it still use it. didnt get fins or a snorkel time my mid to late teens. grew up in socal in the 70's/80's didnt get scuba till in my 20's built spear guns for living for a socal manufacturer for a while. most diving has been hard core socal inshore/offshore but currently only a couple hours from the southern oregon coast. new years resolution to average 1 day a week on the coast, spearing if possible. hope to have a coastal "base" here shortly so i dont have to car camp on my runs.

been lurking here a while and finally got signed up and cleared. i have had an easier time gettin cleared for nuc plants...lol

i am a hard core penny pincher and am in the market for a good dive light to have along in the day time for inspecting cracks and holes. i have some older 8 D cell dive lights but want something smaller and with the advances in LED's since my last light purchase i would love some input on what folks like up here. i am looking for the most bang for the buck and trying not to break the bank. specific brand model recommendations would be great but even thoughts on how many CP/lumens are needed during the day to see to the back of a crack and not miss something important.

when i get my bottom times back to something respectable ie double digits i might be looking for some dive buddies, till then i wouldnt want to hold anyone back

thanks for all the info and insight i have already gleaned here, hope i can contribute to the community in the future

thanks
Anapanasati
Anapanasati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Re: recommendations for a daytime crack light?

Anapanasati:

Please check out our 680 lumen light. It is very bright, has a concentrated beam, is very compact and made from anodized aluminum..

We also sell adapters for gun mounting of this light and a wrist "Holster" forhands free use.

Thanks!

Dano
http://www.makospearguns.com/680-Lum...t-p/m680dl.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
parker

I've been using a Mako 680 as my daytime light for several months now and really like it. It's noticeably brighter (and smaller) than my IFL-660. The green-blue-red battery indicator is a nice feature. And you can't beat Mako's customer service if there's ever a problem.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
LittleGoat
Real name is Jarom

I've got a cheap flea-bay special that works well enough. It was 10 bucks and I've had it down to 60' with no problems. I fully expect it to give up the ghost on every dive and I've been pleasantly surprised that it hasn't. The All Other Gear forum has a thread on it if you are interested.

If you want something more dependable, I would go with the Mako. Everything that I've heard about them has been positive. I've only purchased a rubber dive belt from them and it has been fantastic. They are good people who actively frequent this forum and take care of their customers.
LittleGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
Seeco

I've got ya covered. I don't share much info but today I posted two threads asking for advice on fins so I better give back. Here is your light go buy it:

http://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec-Flashlight-Bottle-Opener/dp/B00BXE8UP4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423590139&sr=8-2&keywords=princeton+tec+amp http://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec-Flashlight-Bottle-Opener/dp/B00BXE8UP4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423590139&sr=8-2&keywords=princeton+tec+amp
Seeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #6
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeco View Post
I've got ya covered. I don't share much info but today I posted two threads asking for advice on fins so I better give back. Here is your light go buy it:

http://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec-...nceton+tec+amp
45 lumens? Seems pretty weak. I would go with the Mako.

And Anapanasati, welcome to the board.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #7
parker

I have that little Princeton light too, but I don't use it for diving. It might do as a backup light for reading scuba gauges at night, if that's your thing. But, it's no where near powerful enough to serve as a daytime crack light.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
Anapanasati
WWJD

thanks guys for the replysreplys, dano, parker, I'll check out the mako for sure. Lil goat, thanks for point I g me to that thread working my way thru it now. seeco thanks for the link k but I just don't think it will be bright enough for what I need. north star thanks for the in put and the welcome.

do you guys think 500 lumens is a good cut off for the daytime crack light?

focused beam like the recommended make being better than a wide beam ?

thanks again
A
Old 02-10-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anapanasati View Post
do you guys think 500 lumens is a good cut off for the daytime crack light?

focused beam like the recommended make being better than a wide beam ?

A
The IFL-660 is advertised as 220 lumen (or higher depending on whose product description you read) and has a tighter spot than the Mako 680. It (the IFL-660) works okay for daytime, but I much prefer the Mako.
I've compared a UK eLED SL4 to the IFL-660 in a store. The SL4 is said to be 400 lumen, and I think has a good beam for daytime.
If there's a 'con' to the Mako, it's the price/availability of the CR123 batteries compared to C-cells. But, considering price, power, and size of these lights - Mako is the winner for daytime in my book.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #10
Seeco

Hmm in my opinion you don't want anything near 600 lumens but yeah the princeton ted might be a bit too weak. I still think you should try it.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 AM   #11
jfjf

I've used the MAKO 680 light for daytime use and it works well. This is some video I shot of it on the gun mount. You definitely want a focused beam (or a very, very brigh wide angle beam) for daytime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55U5AcldCsw
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:11 AM   #12
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeco View Post
Hmm in my opinion you don't want anything near 600 lumens but yeah the princeton ted might be a bit too weak. I still think you should try it.
Explain why I wouldn't want anything near 600 lumens. In my opinion brighter is better! I don't have the mako light but for the price you can't beat it! The light I use is the hollis led 5, and my back up/ muzzle light is a hollis mini led!
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
LittleGoat
Real name is Jarom

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker View Post
The IFL-660 is advertised as 220 lumen (or higher depending on whose product description you read) and has a tighter spot than the Mako 680. It (the IFL-660) works okay for daytime, but I much prefer the Mako.
I've compared a UK eLED SL4 to the IFL-660 in a store. The SL4 is said to be 400 lumen, and I think has a good beam for daytime.
If there's a 'con' to the Mako, it's the price/availability of the CR123 batteries compared to C-cells. But, considering price, power, and size of these lights - Mako is the winner for daytime in my book.
I have the eLED SL4 and the 400 lumen rating is pretty generous. It is pretty crappy as a daytime light as your eyes aren't adjusted to it's lower level light. It is an awesome backup for night diving though.
LittleGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #14
Seeco

The tiny Hollis that uses 1 AAA? That is a great light the Princeton Tec is about 3x brighter for reference. Lasts way longer
Old 02-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #15
Anapanasati
WWJD

Thank you for the video link that is very helpful