Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
Ed Walker

Anyone been to San Salvador, Bahamas?

Got invited over there in Feb. Free ride on my friends corporate jet to his 46 footer that he keeps over there for 3 month season. Free house, fuel, capt, ect... Doesnt get much better.
They are not really divers but they know where the fish are. I wondered if the no triggered speargun rule applies there too. ? They catch the most insane wahoo. Actually the sharks eat like 80% of the YF tuna and wahoo they hook but when they land one its a monster. Many are over 100 pounds. I dont see myself scoring one of those with a sling or pole spear.
They got this one last year. Said all they had was a 100 pound scale which easily bottomed out. Guessed it in the 125 pound class. The guy in the pic is 6'5". If I can use a gun I might give them a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paul wahoo.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	24943  
Old 12-22-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
jfjf

Re: Anyone been to San Salvador, Bahamas?

dove there like 15 years ago. Excellent diving. You could actually swim from the beach to the wall if u were a little crazy. Pole speared some groupers there. did not see many sharks on the reef as I recall. It is one of the better places in the bahamas from what i understand
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
snowstopsspears
Podvodny Okhotnik

Ed -

The diving there is spectacular. You mentioned sharks eating the YF? I had the same experience while doing some fishing on a boat off something that the mates referred to as the "shark factory." We weren't cranking to pull in the yellowfin - we were cranking to keep from pulling in only the heads of the yellowfin. That said, it was still an absolute blast. We were on YF, big dolphin, and wahoo almost constantly. I was beginning to freedive at that point and can recall the first (and only) time that I saw a wahoo in the open water (of course, I was gunless).

As for the "no trigger" rule, I'm pretty sure that it applies in SS, too. I remember being harped on about the "no gun" rule in the Bahamas, only to come across a few locals who were working the reefs pretty hard with trigger-equipped instruments. Go figure. Enforcement is selective in the southeastern bahamas, perhaps?

I think that there are two hotels on the island: a ClubMed and a diving-oriented hotel that's called . . . for the life of me I cannot recall the name. The something "rock." I think. Don't take my word on that. Unlike jfjfjjfj, I did see sharks while diving. I also went out one night on a kayak with a local to sneak in a little diving and we also saw sharks. Big sharks.

Good luck with your trip.

Andrew
snowstopsspears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:15 AM   #4
OceanEd

The no gun rule applies to all of the Bahamas. The locals are a whole different thing, but I would not recommend you use a gun because if the locals find out they will go crazy.

The Club Med is on the north side of the Island. The Riding Rock Inn is on the south side and for many years has been known for its catering to underwater photographers. Not a good place to be talking about spearing fish. Much of the area on the south coast by the Riding Rock Inn is a drop off that starts with a sand bottom in about 30 ft to 40 ft. and then goes down "forever". Great wall diving which is why the Riding Rock is located there, but not good freediving because of the depths and the toothy things that like to swim up and down the wall if you spear a fish.

Generally, the big YF's, wahoo, etc. are being fished north of the island out in blue water and if you talk to the local boat captains you will hear stories of monster fish being fought. The problem seems to be the size of the sharks that accompany the fish. I have thought of trying to blue water hunt there with a pole spear but have not become that senile yet.

I would recommend you stick with pole spears and hawaiian slings. Try the reefs on the west and especially the north/west side of the island. I would also use the rule of spearing one fish and then getting in the boat and moving to another location. If you do stay after spearing a fish make sure you immediately put the fish in the boat. Under no circumstances do you want to be dragging the fish around with you on a stringer. Keep vigilant.
OceanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:48 AM   #5
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Ed,

I spent a week at Riding Rock Inn about 10 years ago. And of course I swam out to the wall right after we arrived. I thought it was crazy not to freedive! Everyone else hit the bar for the afternoon.

Like Stephen said the wall started at 30' or so and I followed along it for over an hour, dropping to about 20' over the edge. I saw eagle rays, nurse sharks, kingfish and all kinds of reef fish.

San Sal is known for hammerheads, and it didn't take long before we caught up to some. Second dive I think, I shot video of the biggest hammer I've ever swam with.

There were a lot of good grouper and snapper too, so I'd get a Hawaiian sling and shoot the reefs.

The old time lighthouse was cool too.

BTW, good story on the power plant today!

Chad
Located in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SE Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
OceanEd

Chad:

I spent 3 weeks anchored in the sand just off the drop off in my boat. It was amazing to jump off the back and see that the transom of the boat was hanging over the drop off.

This was before the Club Med was built, and you could rent a scooter and do a circumnavigation of the island, but it took all day because there was not a road all the way around.

The diving was amazing.

Once my new boat is back in business I might have to get you back down in that area for some freediving.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:03 PM   #7
slingking

A bunch of us have been looking to get down there and try for monster hooos on slings, but those damn sharks are terrible down there.
slingking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:41 AM   #8
OceanEd

100 lb wahoo are supposed to be pretty common out there. It would almost be worth it just to see them. If I ever develop enough confidence in my Shark Shield, it might be worth a try, but that is putting a LOT of faith in a "cordless novelty item".

There is also a great sea mount off the south west side of Cat Island that is absolutely loaded with fish but you have the same shark situation.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:58 PM   #9
mattymatt

Stephen, I am curious to hear your opinions about your "cordless novelty item" once you have tested it more.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:13 PM   #10
OceanEd

The Shark Shield worked well last year in the Bahamas against reef sharks, lemon sharks and bull sharks, all on local reefs. We tried it a couple of times in the blue water, but only had the same type of sharks come around (it worked). For me, that's a whole different ball game than blue water hunting north of San Salvadore with a swarm of very large pelagic sharks added to the mix.

Before I am willing to do that, I will go somewhere like the sea mount west of Cat Island and wrap the shark shield around a good sized bleeding fish and put it down about 40 ft. I will be floating on the surface, observing the reaction of the sharks out there. If that would work, then I would begin to think about it.

As Ronald Regan once said "Trust, but verify".
Old 12-25-2005, 09:53 PM   #11
mattymatt

Look forward to hearing the results of your dead fish test.

Heres a link to a product you could use on your boat in case you ever get attacked by child pirates!!
Alarm' makes teens buzz off!
Nov 7 2005

'Alarm' makes teens buzz off!

Lauren Turner, South Wales Echo

Teenage gangs are being driven away from hanging around outside shops - thanks to an alarm only they can hear.

A machine that makes an ear-piercing noise that irritates young people has been installed at shops in the hope it will drive away gangs.

Robert Gough, who runs the Spar shop on Barry Road, Barry, is one of the first to try out the alarm called Mosquito, which is only clearly audible to under 20s.

He said: 'We have gangs of youths congregating in the door way of the shop, which is intimidating, especially for elderly people and young children.

'They cause trouble in the shop, messing around, shoplifting and picking on people.

Last edited by mattymatt; 12-25-2005 at 10:07 PM.
mattymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #12
diveincanada

I know it's an old thread but has anyone been down there lately ?
I'm booked in July with the GF. I was thinking about bringing my Riffe Pole spear. Just wrote to Riding Rock Hotel to see if they offer charters for spearos. I've been there many times but that was before I started spearfishing. It is a scuba-diving paradise but not sure what to do to shoot some fish. I use to see hammerheads on every dive so I'm not sure about shore diving...

Feedback anyone?
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #13
Charliex

I spent 12 days there 1 month ago. There is a lot of good stuff to be had there.
Charliex is offline   Reply With Quote