Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.11 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #31
TheBrazilNut

Re: High PO2 Hits - Tell us your story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydiveman View Post
Another great thread Love it or hate it, information is being shared and discussed.

Since we are looking at medical related I have a question. Last dive of the day, usually after 3 or 4 dives, towards end of dives alot of times I get cramps in quads. I have been reading up on it, and I believe it is related to dehydration. Is this a solid assumption?? Usually during safety stops at end of dive.
You should be taking a piss on every dive!
TheBrazilNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #32
Bulit7

One thing I learned with this guy I used to dive with is that you can do all kinds of shit wrong with your body but seems that as long as you hydrate the hell out of yourself, you will stand a better chance of avoiding DCS.

We would foce liquids down, even as we were about to flip over the gunnel, we would be drinking up tonsof water. This guy smoked and did some other things and his dive profiles were not the safest, yet he never got bent. I think it is due to how heavily he hydrated.

Take it for what its worth.

Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #33
shcubasteve

Check out PADI's Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving... The physiology section has a very detailed description of diving injuries and related problems, including how and when oxygen becomes toxic
shcubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #34
Daddy_Jeffy
Aloha, hard!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulit7 View Post
One thing I learned with this guy I used to dive with is that you can do all kinds of shit wrong with your body but seems that as long as you hydrate the hell out of yourself, you will stand a better chance of avoiding DCS.

We would foce liquids down, even as we were about to flip over the gunnel, we would be drinking up tonsof water. This guy smoked and did some other things and his dive profiles were not the safest, yet he never got bent. I think it is due to how heavily he hydrated.

Take it for what its worth.

I think it is due to dumb luck. "Did some other things??" I can't crack that code. You are lucky you didn't have to retrieve this guy from an accident, or expect him to watch your back.

Post more examples. You are an ambassador of the sport. I hope everyone is taking the advice you put forward.
Daddy_Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:31 AM   #35
diverlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcubasteve View Post
Check out PADI's Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving... The physiology section has a very detailed description of diving injuries and related problems, including how and when oxygen becomes toxic
Steve, good post. Regardless of our diving experience, we all should learn more about oxygen toxicity.
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #36
Mobile Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_Jeffy View Post
I think it is due to dumb luck. "Did some other things??" I can't crack that code. You are lucky you didn't have to retrieve this guy from an accident, or expect him to watch your back.

Post more examples. You are an ambassador of the sport. I hope everyone is taking the advice you put forward.
Your posts are BS & contribute nothing to the discussion. I think the mods should delete them.
305 849 0866
Mobile Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #37
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_Jeffy View Post

Hey, I cut him off and don't even speak to him anymore because of his substance abuse and quirky personality. I tried to be a friend and steer him in a better direction to no avail. It was time to move on. Sad thing is the dude inherited millions from his dad and is wasting away. Nice guy, sad... Let me tell you: I don't even drink, work out almost every day, bike, run. It is what it is. Doesn't embarass me. I don't have time for druggies, alcoholics or whatever.

Seems like you are making a point in trying to ridicule me. Good luck.

At least I am honest and try to post things that others can benefit from. What have you brought to the table? Bunch of negative shit that probably stems from you being some low life dipshit. Why don't you quit wasting everyones time with your lame ass coments.

Seems that you hide behind a screen name. Who are you? Post a pic and your real name. Lets hear about your accomplishments. See some of your fish. I think it will be a more positive contribution to this site than the dumb shit you have been posting.

Last edited by Bulit7; 08-25-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #38
Ydiveman
Bleed with me............

Send a message via AIM to Ydiveman

Ydiveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #39
Toledo970

:d

Last edited by Toledo970; 08-28-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Toledo970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:57 AM   #40
Scotty
SuperHero & Active Nudist

First of all is that all I can say about this tread is WTF. Second of all most of you if not all have not a damn clue about O2 hits. I think the one thing most understand is an O2 hit can kill you. Mostly because of a convulsion. It takes a lot more than just a damn PADI class to understand how this stuff works. Try taking an inside tender course at a local hospital that has a re compression chamber. you will learn all about PPO2 and treatment tables.

Most of what this thread is advocating is "well i learned how to do it online from so and so, so it must work. Or I will ask a question on how to do and maybe some people will tell me. I am a firm believer in asking questions but they should be asked in a class room where you are learning this shit and not while you sit at your computer and then try it the next day at 200'. Most of these questions are way beyond your experience level. that goes for the idiots that are bashing each other as well. if you have to ask then you shouldn't be doing it, because sooner or later you will end up killing yourself or someone else. I see diving accidents all the time. I have seen guys that know what they are doing and have 10+ years as a navy diver get bent. I have seen idiots bypass 2 hours of decompression and only get a very mild type 1 . I treat idiots and professionals alike. have fun be safe and like any other sport play within your limit.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #41
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
First of all is that all I can say about this tread is WTF. Second of all most of you if not all have not a damn clue about O2 hits. I think the one thing most understand is an O2 hit can kill you. Mostly because of a convulsion. It takes a lot more than just a damn PADI class to understand how this stuff works. Try taking an inside tender course at a local hospital that has a re compression chamber. you will learn all about PPO2 and treatment tables.

Most of what this thread is advocating is "well i learned how to do it online from so and so, so it must work. Or I will ask a question on how to do and maybe some people will tell me. I am a firm believer in asking questions but they should be asked in a class room where you are learning this shit and not while you sit at your computer and then try it the next day at 200'. Most of these questions are way beyond your experience level. that goes for the idiots that are bashing each other as well. if you have to ask then you shouldn't be doing it, because sooner or later you will end up killing yourself or someone else. I see diving accidents all the time. I have seen guys that know what they are doing and have 10+ years as a navy diver get bent. I have seen idiots bypass 2 hours of decompression and only get a very mild type 1 . I treat idiots and professionals alike. have fun be safe and like any other sport play within your limit.
Scotty, wtf are you talkin about?

This thread is not advocating anything.

So knowledge should only be shared in a classroom?

"Most of these questions are beyond our experience level" How is that? Learning about oxigen toxicity is one of the fundamental aspects of diving safely on Nitrox.

"If you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it". Only thing asked on here was to hear anybodys experiences with O2 toxicity. Though rare, they do occur as ilustrated earlier. Read the whole thread.

" I have seen guys that know what they are doing and have 10+ years as a navy diver get bent. I have seen idiots bypass 2 hours of decompression and only get a very mild type 1 " WTF does DCS have to do with High PO2 hits?

Do us all a favor and re-read the thread. Then delete your post or edit it so it fits within the context of what is being discussed. In other words, we want to hear about PO2 hits. Close calls with oxigen toxicity.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #42
Scotty
SuperHero & Active Nudist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulit7 View Post
Scotty, wtf are you talkin about?

This thread is not advocating anything.

So knowledge should only be shared in a classroom?

"Most of these questions are beyond our experience level" How is that? Learning about oxigen toxicity is one of the fundamental aspects of diving safely on Nitrox.

"If you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it". Only thing asked on here was to hear anybodys experiences with O2 toxicity. Though rare, they do occur as ilustrated earlier. Read the whole thread.

" I have seen guys that know what they are doing and have 10+ years as a navy diver get bent. I have seen idiots bypass 2 hours of decompression and only get a very mild type 1 " WTF does DCS have to do with High PO2 hits?

Do us all a favor and re-read the thread. Then delete your post or edit it so it fits within the context of what is being discussed. In other words, we want to hear about PO2 hits. Close calls with oxigen toxicity.
real world scenario:

O2 hits mostly happen in chambers during a TT. where 02 is the main breathing medium. and if it does happen in the water with out a FFmask. the person that got the hit likely didn't survived due to drowning. Diver's reg falls out of mouth during a convulsion.

Why so angry. What I said is the truth. most people have no idea what an O2 hit feels like anyways. so most people think they got a hit when in fact could be something else like a little carbon monoxide in their tank, or over breathing their rig due to chasing fish. the symptoms are about the same. the end result is if you are having an o2 hit a convulsion is likely going to happen. Im not saying that it happens every time but that is the underlying symptom of an O2 hit. besides the correct term would be CNS 02 toxicity. and there is also pulmonary 02 toxicity which happens when in a chamber after breathing o2 for long period of time or a rebreather that is 100% o2. My post was more or less to get the point across to stick to what you know. and learn what you don't from a qualified professional. not your buddy down the street who says he's a tech instructor or whoever. I am preaching safety not stupidity.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #43
Bulit7

Oh, ok....
Old 05-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #44
dirtbroker

142' 21% fighting a 50# aj. when i later downloaded the dive log off the computer, to analyze it showed a p02 1.10 i defer to you gentlemen with a lot more experience and deeper dives than i. was i within respectably acceptable limits
www.petersonrealestate.com
325 668 0931
dirtbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #45
hammerhead786

Acording to sport diving standards throughout the world no. 1.6 is it. If you were a US navy diver potentially. At that depth to get that PO2 on 21% you were either down a long time or did multiple dives that day? Diving 21% on a PO2 1.6 you get max 45 miutes at 218fsw. The thing is what doesn't harm you one dive may kill you the next. It's a habit bro... you gotta know when to say when.

Depth, Mix & PO2 Chart

~ Captain Ed ~

Last edited by hammerhead786; 05-29-2009 at 11:56 AM.
hammerhead786 is offline   Reply With Quote