Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #16
Wet Zen

Re: "Over night" bag limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowboat View Post

It might actually be cheaper to go to a seafood market.
Truer words were never spoken.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #17
seadogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinneej View Post
You know this for 100% sure, or is this what makes it legal in your own mind?

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/92.20-20

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...-sec393-76.pdf

A sleeping bag is not a sleeping berth. These may not be the best examples, but I am sure you could find a legal definition for it out there.

Secondly, the captain's license is way more than $200. I've probably got about $900-$1000 invested in mine with sea school, testing fees, drug test, physical, etc. Then, the charter permit costs money every year...

Also, to give a valid receipt, you would have to be a valid business. You can't run a legit charter operation without having some sort of business license, file taxes, etc. You really going to start up a business to try to pull something like this off and try to convince a judge that the guys on the boat are not really your buddies, but instead, true customers? Hey, good luck!!!

Let's say you were still convinced that you were on the right side of the law. FWC is still going to write you a ticket (actually several tickets) at which point it will be between you and the judge. You will go to court which means you will likely be taking the day off of work. Are you going to hire a lawyer for $5000 to get you out of $4000 worth of tickets? And when the judge says to you "Each offense is worth up to $450 in finest and 30 days in jail for the 8 tickets you have in your hand" are you willing to push it to the end? 240 days in jail is a long time... A lawyer doesn't guarantee you anything except a bill...

Some things are just not worth it... E Fish are one of those things...
Talkin about taking off the gloves. !! Very true though. A little deception is not worth the risk.

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #18
seadogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowboat View Post
Not to mention registering your vessel as "commercial" which leads to other costs.

Once you start adding all the additional safety gear and Marine Safety Officer inspection , it might not be worth it.

Also you have to buy an existing Gulf reef fish charter lisc which cost as much as a commercial one.

It might actually be cheaper to go to a seafood market.
It doesn't cost any more to reg your private boat as commercial vs recreational.

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #19
damnedifido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamispear View Post
Just food for thought...I charter, and once my boat is outside of 9nm in the GOM, the state charter fishing license does not apply. Since I never dive or fish inside of 9nm, I only have the Federal Fisheries licenses...that wasn't a couple hundred...that was $8,000 for the reef and pelagic permits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinneej View Post
Could be different for the GOM. That is definitely not the case on the SAFMC side... State waters only go out to 3 nm on this side but the state DNR does enforce federal regulations. I think they receive subsidies for being the enforcement for the feds.
In Florida and Texas state waters extend 9 nm on the gulf coasts with i beleive the Keys being the break point. All other states and coastal waters are 3 nm.
damnedifido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #20
clambake 50

Anyone have any info one fish limits if camping overnight in Boca Chita?
clambake 50 is offline   Reply With Quote