Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #1
OlDirtyJohn

Evolve aftershock spear

Does anyone have any experience, or first hand knowledge of these pole spears? Recently I've been hunting shallow reef, rocks and holes more frequently and have found my gun to be too large and cumbersome (not to mention overkill a lot of times). While looking at spears this one caught my eye. Seems pretty slick and the price is right.

Living out on a remote ATOLL, I don't have the luxury of checking gear out in person before buying. Hopefully you guys can help me out here.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt
Re: Evolve aftershock spear

Not sure if it's a plus or not. Have to assume it is or they wouldn't be marketing it.

When the pole/tip hits the fish you have a fixed amount of Momentum. (Mass * Velocity)

At impact, the internal mass moves forward and thusly reduces the initial amount of momentum available.

Some time frame later , say 2 msec, the internal mass stops moving and the 2nd amount of momentum applied to the fish.

If that internal mass has a triggered spring or something behind it then have the 2nd punch with new energy source. That makes sense to me

Unclear to me exactly what they are doing.

Conservation of momentum and energy hard to get around.

Post a Review if you bought one. Is there a hidden lever to cock a spring?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:06 AM   #3
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Still in the process of building my own spear and as such have very limited real world experience but I have scoured pretty much every polespear thread here and it seems for your fishing, a CF spear would not be the best. At least that's what a lot of way more experienced spearos have said here in the past. Get an alu one for shooting into holes. If worse comes to worst, your alu spear will bend and you can bend it back - your CF spear will break and you're out of a spear all together.

Another thing I have learned on these threads is just how highly regarded Aaron's and Linghunt's builds are - affordable, too. So, my advice would be to get in touch with one of them.

And yeah, I'd prolly chalk up the kapow/bang/aftershock thingey to a marketing "need" to stand out, but they are still very pretty spears.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 06-20-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
Linghunt

Cool Re: Evolve aftershock spear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Still in the process of building my own spear and as such have very limited real world experience but I have scoured pretty much every polespear thread here and it seems for your fishing, a CF spear would not be the best. At least that's what a lot of way more experienced spearos have said here in the past. Get an alu one for shooting into holes. If worse comes to worst, your alu spear will bend and you can bend it back - your CF spear will break and you're out of a spear all together.

And yeah, I'd prolly chalk up the kapow/bang/aftershock thingey to a marketing "need" to stand out...
Fiberglass poles are great too. They take a beating in marketing world to splintering and hands needing ER and all of that. I found one in the ocean some 15 years + ago. The front aluminum fitting needed to be replaced. Still use it today and works great for me and my use.

I think the "Thread Starter" was looking for more info on that aftershock feature vs pole type selection. Based on time stamp, he bought what he needed long ago.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
AK_FishTech

I love mine. I have the 8' with knurled stainless 3 prong. There is no lever or spring. The weight is held in place by a magnet. The knurling makes a huge difference in holding strength and the stainless used it extremely durable. Evan (owner of Evolve) is awesome. I met him in person and he's very knowledgeable and friendly. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND his product!
AK_FishTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #6
weso
wes0

Just picked one up yesterday and used it all day today. Kinda cool hearing the sound when you pop a fish. The only problem I had was the grip with dive gloves. I put on a pair of the blue rubber ones and didn't have any issues after. Breakdown is very nice also.
weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
Kiwizach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linghunt View Post
Not sure if it's a plus or not. Have to assume it is or they wouldn't be marketing it.

When the pole/tip hits the fish you have a fixed amount of Momentum. (Mass * Velocity)

At impact, the internal mass moves forward and thusly reduces the initial amount of momentum available.

Some time frame later , say 2 msec, the internal mass stops moving and the 2nd amount of momentum applied to the fish.

If that internal mass has a triggered spring or something behind it then have the 2nd punch with new energy source. That makes sense to me

Unclear to me exactly what they are doing.

Conservation of momentum and energy hard to get around.

Post a Review if you bought one. Is there a hidden lever to cock a spring?
I Have one of these poles as a 9ft I love the thing, nice bit of weight behind it, and it hits hard with good rubbers! the worst thing about the pole is the aftershock system though bloody noisy. but I agree with you here mate, the aftershock thing is just a marketing technique, there is no way to get around conservation of momentum. I'm in the process of trying to fill the aftershock cavity with epoxy or something to hold the mechanism in place.
Kiwizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #8
Linghunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwizach View Post
I Have one of these poles as a 9ft I love the thing, nice bit of weight behind it, and it hits hard with good rubbers! the worst thing about the pole is the aftershock system though bloody noisy. but I agree with you here mate, the aftershock thing is just a marketing technique, there is no way to get around conservation of momentum. I'm in the process of trying to fill the aftershock cavity with epoxy or something to hold the mechanism in place.
Heard similar story, one of them almost came by shop for review/modifications.

Effort still pending, diver lost interest in putting effort into it I figure.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
Kiwizach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linghunt View Post
Heard similar story, one of them almost came by shop for review/modifications.

Effort still pending, diver lost interest in putting effort into it I figure.
Hey mate,
Actually i managed to figure it out. the forward 2ft of pole which consists of a knurled and a smooth section, is actually two pieces joined with a thread like the rest of the pole. However the thread is glued so you really need to throw somes ponies at it to get it unscrewed. Once you do you can remove the 8 inch steel aftershock mechanism amd screw it back together. Makes for a nice quiet spear. It also makes it noticably lighter, so my next step will be to put the aftershock back in there and fill her with epoxy to lock the mechanism in the forward position i like the weight.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Kiwizach is offline   Reply With Quote