Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2015, 12:27 AM   #451
stevencabo
tercermundista

Send a message via Yahoo to stevencabo
Re: cabo in shore report

[quote=mlamure;2069464]Hi. I've been following this thread for a long time and am finally going to get the chance to go to Cabo for a few days in late September/early October. Is this a good spot or is it unsafe.

I sent you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantarrayo View Post
Stevie, its been a while my friend! But it looks like im moving back to Cabo very soon! A pic of the last catch at la Reina, just North of Cerralvo! Saludos señor!
That's good news! I'm no longer full time in Cabo but when I'm there I try to find something fresh to eat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabrilla.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	221406   Click image for larger version

Name:	east cape yellow snappa.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	221407  
stevencabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:03 PM   #452
mlamure

Thanks to all of you for the information about Spearing in Cabo. I had a great time and actually met up with a couple of locals who were spearing and really took the heart of the sport seriously and were helping me determine what was Ok to spear. I didn't spear a couple of things that I should have, but better to miss a chance on the right thing than to take something you shouldn't. I would post a pic or two, but can't figure how to get it from my computer to the post..... The fresh fish was excellent and I took it to a little tacos place and they cooked up a couple of dishes for me. The first day was great vis and then the next was a little less and just got worse til I couldn't see the tip of my spear gun, but i had a great time! Went to a cool spot to the right of Hotel Marquis where there was a lot of structure, but pretty rough so be careful. I ended up digging a few spines of those black sea urchins out of my shin. Trying to get a shot on a fish and got too close to the rocks. Didn't realize the undertow was that strong 20' under.... Can't wait to go back to Cabo!!
mlamure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #453
dushanbe

I just got back from Cabo, we were diving in Pedregal, lots of Sierra makrel, golden pompanos, yellowtail and 2 pargo

First day was amazingly calm and I swam into the school of Sierras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSm6eE2L8gc
dushanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:30 PM   #454
stevencabo
tercermundista

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushanbe View Post
I just got back from Cabo, lots of Sierra makrel, golden pompanos, yellowtail and 2 pargo

First day was amazingly calm and I swam into the school of Sierras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSm6eE2L8gc
Beautiful beach and nice water. You found the fish! I think we were there at the same time.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #455
wlkconsulting

Send a message via Skype™ to wlkconsulting

Please advise. Doing Baja this summer. We will be primarily fishing the east cape but will be paying a visit to friends in Todos Santos. They are elderly non watermen and can’t answer my questions.
I know that swells and conditions can be rough on the pacific side during spring and summer months, but we’re considering taking a chance only if we luck up on conditions.

My question is regarding the fishermen beach boat launch spot in Punta Lobos (option #1). Once upon a time, huge groups of fishermen would launch boats directly from the beach and activity was in and out. Last I saw, they were building beach houses and seem to have pushed the fishermen cartel out. Is this still the case? Anyone with recent eyes on this…Is this spot still accessible to the public for a shore dive launch? Or is access a gated community now?

Another possible launch spot would be Las Palmas down the road as a shore dive (option #2). Its that park you get to from the main paved road, then down a dirt road. I guess Las Palmas is a beach park. Thoughts on entry from there?

Last option would be entry where the mountain meets the water down the beach from the Cerritos surf shop (option #3).

So what’s my best chance? I plan to hit all 3 spots to see what works, but trying to do some homework to save time. I apologize for posting a google earth shot. Ill delete all this for those concerned. I just didn’t know how to best communicate what I needed to know. Please click pic attachment if it doesnt pop up automatically. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	todos santos dive options.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	241913  
wlkconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:42 PM   #456
drbabs

i dove there 15 years ago, but so much has changed.
Im curious to hear replies here.

.... where do you plan to dive on the east cape?
o
<*)))))))=<
drbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #457
wlkconsulting

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabs View Post
i dove there 15 years ago, but so much has changed.
Im curious to hear replies here.

.... where do you plan to dive on the east cape?
thanks for responding...
Old 03-28-2019, 03:29 PM   #458
wlkconsulting

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencabo View Post
Beautiful beach and nice water. You found the fish! I think we were there at the same time.
you still in cabo diving..working?
Old 03-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #459
stevencabo
tercermundista

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlkconsulting View Post
you still in cabo diving..working?
Nope, but I do occasionally return. I'm going down next week, my daughter's getting married.

I would choose option two. Its the beach less traveled, plus it's a really nice location. There is also another option, the surfing beach at Pescadero. North of Cerritos and south of Las Palmas, where the arroyo goes down to the beach.
Cerritos is very popular with tourist and locals, usually crowded. Los Lobos, the few times I've looked at it, looked very sketchy. Heavy shore pound and strong current. Amazing that the fisherman could launch and land there!
Old 03-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #460
wlkconsulting

Quote:
Nope, but I do occasionally return. I'm going down next week, my daughter's getting married.

I would choose option two. Its the beach less traveled, plus it's a really nice location. There is also another option, the surfing beach at Pescadero. North of Cerritos and south of Las Palmas, where the arroyo goes down to the beach.
Cerritos is very popular with tourist and locals, usually crowded. Los Lobos, the few times I've looked at it, looked very sketchy. Heavy shore pound and strong current. Amazing that the fisherman could launch and land there!
hey man..its awesome to hear from you! its been a good while. Thanks for the info. I hope all is well and congrats on your daughters wedding.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:17 AM   #461
wlkconsulting

Quote:

I sent you a pm just now..
Old 08-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #462
Mantarrayo

Hola amigo, just read your post and was wondering if you came to Cabo.. I live in San Lucas full time again! Send a message next time youre heading down here. The fishermen from Punta Lobos, are still there, its amazing how they launch their boats with the waves pounding the shore.. In the summer, theres better conditions in the Sea of Cortes side, Cerralvo Island and Ventanas have some great spots! Let us know what you caught amigo!

Steve, let me know if you come down friend, lets go get some fish.. Water is warming up (still cool below and were in the middle of summer ) and finally clearing up!! Saludos tercermundista!
Mantarrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:27 PM   #463
wlkconsulting

thanks for chiming in. whats the water like in the Lobos area/Pacific side in the winter? Does it ever let up enough for shore dive entry? If so, whats the best months. thanks
Old 08-31-2019, 10:51 AM   #464
billder99
Good gone Wong

Hey Steve,

It's fun to still see this thread pop up every now and again. Glad to see you are still coming down on occasion. I'm still living and diving in Loreto, but I'm also doing at large custom home project at Maravilla (development at Bahia Santa Maria). Right in front of the home is a very fishy looking reef... I haven't been in yet, but going to dive it next week. Have you ever been in there? The water here in Loreto is perfect right now, full of fish... nice!

Your Buddy,
BD

If you allow it to rule you,
fear is a hard master to uncrown.
Embrace the discomfort of wanting air,
it is only fear and weakness leaving your body.
My poem, by Me (partially stolen from SEAL Team)
billder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #465
stevencabo
tercermundista

Got back in Cabo and went to an easy access spot. Floating in the 85 degree crystal clear water, a school of early season sierra found me day dreaming. I was lucky enough to get a shot off and not tear away. Next thing I know, I'm at the local sushi bar. What a country!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3428.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	246246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3433.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	246247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4660.jpg
Views:	168