Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
spearomurray

Maui Blue water

Can anybody recommend a charter or friend for blue water in Maui? Heading out for two weeks in Sept and won't have the option of going to Kona. I'm planning on bringing the guns and neoprene out there. Would love to get a shot at some hoos.

In other news, looking forwards to seeing you guys at Triton and PCC's this year.
spearomurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
Behslayer

Re: Maui Blue water

Look up Benzo Speedo at Freedivehi.com
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:07 PM   #3
Behslayer

I think tickets to Kona are pretty inexpensive from Maui too
Old 08-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
Gerifalte

Talk to Bobby Twitchell from https://www.mauispearfishing.com
He's a world class Spearo and a gentleman, tell him Francisco sent you.
Gerifalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
CaptSport

Send a message via AIM to CaptSport

Your better off taking a quick trip to the Big Island. When I was in Maui everyone I asked about Blue Water spearing said ya had to run way to far to get to true blue water. Out of Kona, you can be in blue water in short order. Ya can hit up a the FAD’s, which have all kinds of good stuff below them. Wahoo, Mahi, Tuna, saw it all when I was there. (If ya see a 4 1/2 foot wahoo don’t shoot him, he’s got my name on him) ; ). If you’re looking for a good charter, Bluewaterhunters did right by me. Rob’s a good dude.

Cya,

jr
CaptSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:42 AM   #6
Behslayer

And if you come to Big Island, we can go out Bluewater Shorediving.. but if you are going to Maui, those guys also get good Bluewater. They need to run a bit further, and it tends to be Windy.. but there's plenty of Good diving. Benzospeedo has a nice Terncat with twin engines. It's not too big, I think it's an 18' but it's a good ride.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:17 AM   #7
spearomurray

Jon and Gerifalte,
It's taken be a darn long time to get back to you guys. Work slammed me pretty much right when I got back from the islands. Finally here to make a report.

Did a reef trip around Lanai and a buoy trip with Ben Zyons. He really went above and beyond hitting the water early and accommodating some travel limitations. Ride out on both mornings was smooth on his 18 ft Terncat; one of the biggest little boats I've been on. 1st day went well out at Lanai with viz about 160+ ft and average dives 60-90 ft. Bobby Twitchell joined us for the day as well. Ben was sitting down at 140' with Bobby while another (coincidentally) Pac NW guy and I started our day shallower. It took me way too long to figure out that my usual Norcal tactics of 'cover as much ground as possible' and looking into holes was pretty much garbage for HI. Old habits die hard. Pretty soon after getting in the water we got an opportunity at a large Ulua that came in right under us accompanied by two blacktips. As both of us were at the surface, no way to go but dive right on it. Amazingly, it tolerated the approach right up until about 20' from the bottom when it took notice and abruptly made for the back of shallow ridge. I hit bottom on the backside of the ridge and followed the wall for ~40 ft before peeking over and finding the fish once again. Unfortunately, the guy was moving fast and my hail-mary shot just didn't cut it. The Ulua remained the fish that got away. The current quickly picked up from slack and let us drift down the coast, diving more sandy areas with sparse weeds and the occasional boulder. Finally, did a drop at ~65 ft right at the edge of a depression in the sand. Threw up a bit of sand and a nice Yellow Dot came up to investigate. Plugged him right in the side. Absolutely gorgeous fish and and stoked to get something very representative of diving in HI. The fish ended up making several days worth of sashimi for the folks back home.

2nd day did a buoy trip. Dean Shepheard out of Queensland, AUS joined us. Ben got us out before dawn. Our first buoy we had some luck and ran into a small school of mahi. Dean was able to spear one before the school shot away. We also got a fleeting glance at a small wahoo. After the mahi the spot died and we saw nothing for about 45 mins despite throwing more burley out. We called it and Ben and I got back on the boat. Just as we had our belts off, Dean yelled, "Wahoo"! The small hoo we had seen earlier had come back around, allowing Dean to place a holding shot. With an awesome bit of action on this buoy, we had high hopes for the next few. Unfortunately, none of the others held fish. They did however, hold sharks. On one buoy we found ourselves huddled up, landing jabs on some 30 silky sharks that were certainly too close for comfort. All said and done, Dean still shot two species new to him; undoubtedly a successful trip!

Big thanks to Ben Zyons for getting us out there. Thanks for recommending him Jon! Hopefully I'll get out to Kona soon so we can spear some fish and see how my home built blue water gun compares to the real deal. In the mean time, I'm building a 3-band 147 cm gun to fill out the mid-range in my collection. Baja is next in the sights.
spearomurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #8
Trace

Great report! Thanks for the update.
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
Behslayer

Good report, glad it worked out. Ben's an amazing diver. Think he'll be over here visiting in a few weeks and we will hunt the Thanksgiving Turkey.