Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
doyenofcastle

Salvimar Max Reel

Hi Guys , any of you try max reel with wood speargun ? I am planning to buy Salvimar Max Reel and because of I don't have clear pictures for the reel I have made a ballast cap with holes ,my plan to hold the reel by 2 screw with nuts and keep lead under the cap ,in pictures below the cap with meandros reel and web picture of the reel ,in the blue arrow can I remove the plastic and replace the screw with longer ones ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salvimar-Mulinello-Hero.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	243313   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112_125352.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	243314   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180617_224232.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	243315   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-26_mini_reel_50.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	243316  

Last edited by doyenofcastle; 07-08-2019 at 06:06 PM.
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:57 AM   #2
Mana'squal

Re: Salvimar Max Reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
Hi Guys , any of you try max reel with wood speargun ? I am planning to buy Salvimar Max Reel and because of I don't have clear pictures for the reel I have made a ballast cap with holes ,my plan to hold the reel by 2 screw with nuts and keep lead under the cap ,in pictures below the cap with meandros reel and web picture of the reel ,in the blue arrow can I remove the plastic and replace the screw with longer ones ?
I have that reel on my 52" gun, that metal base plate and those tiny machine screws are for attaching it to a barrel gun, you just discard those drill the hole out to fit larger SS screws.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:46 AM   #3
doyenofcastle

I make some pictures as a guide ,replace the short screw by longer the internal thread was soft in composite and hard in the plate so work should be done with some silicon lubrication then fix to my ballast cap with lock nut from other side and its done ,I don't need to drill directly to wood , the most important note the spring where it have been installed between nut and the main screw for brake was very weak this may be the weak point in this design once it squeeze and it lose the stiffness I may replace with little stiff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191216_022340.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	244656   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191216_022050.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	244657   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191216_122055.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	244658   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191216_203303.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	244659   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191216_203335.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	244660  

Old 12-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
deanmc
FII Professional

Why is the ballast compartment so far back though? Every gun I've ever had to ballast has been more positive towards the muzzle.
deanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:16 AM   #5
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Why is the ballast compartment so far back though? Every gun I've ever had to ballast has been more positive towards the muzzle.
You know the the required ballast depend on gun shape and wood density beside your preference for float or sinking style ,I have SS muzzle and small ballast cap in front but due to unexpected density of the sapelli (low) the gun need a lot of lead located near handle, the front was little thin so spear OH with muzzle will give the required weight , for this build I am making similar gun to Abellan I'll update my old post for bissilom /kosipo wood with clear picture for this build once I try in next trip .
Old 12-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #6
deanmc
FII Professional

Quote:
You know the the required ballast depend on gun shape and wood density beside your preference for float or sinking style ,I have SS muzzle and small ballast cap in front but due to unexpected density of the sapelli (low) the gun need a lot of lead located near handle, the front was little thin so spear OH with muzzle will give the required weight , for this build I am making similar gun to Abellan I'll update my old post for bissilom /kosipo wood with clear picture for this build once I try in next trip .
Makes sense now knowing you have a hunk of stainless at the muzzle.
deanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
Mikel_24

Quote:
....I have SS muzzle and small ballast cap in front but due to unexpected density of the sapelli (low) the gun need a lot of lead located near handle,...
I certainly expect this very same thing to happen to me... I have two guns int he works and my worst nightmare is the finished guns not being able to support the desired shaft... so I HOPE they end up positive bouayant so I can ballast them to end up neutral!!

I am using sapelly as well.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:10 AM   #8
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
I certainly expect this very same thing to happen to me... I have two guns int he works and my worst nightmare is the finished guns not being able to support the desired shaft... so I HOPE they end up positive bouayant so I can ballast them to end up neutral!!

I am using sapelly as well.

Mikel
before shaping Just take a small cut from the end of the glued sapelli ,put some seawater in small pot ,let you sample float in water ,add enough lead to make it sink or barely float ,use small digital scale and calculate the ratio ,now you have rough estimation for wood buoyancy ex. I have metal weigh 1 Kg and ratio is 0.5 my final wood weigh after shaping shall > 2Kg but not too high ,I don't want to make many holes to add lead ,maybe for bigger gun different scenario but in my area small to medium fish size light speargun is needed.