Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #121
Bob Ballew

Re: Some Thoughts on Financial Survival

Got some of that also...but, I have always wanted to be another Henry Ford, or, at least, Elon Musk ...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-26-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #122
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Elon is just another P.T. Barnum. He apparently is being supported by the 'the club', for whatever reason. The stock price demonstrates that...much like Google and Facebook. They need him for something and he's playing ball with them, IMO.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #123
sidewazzz

The amount of people not working in a short amount of time is ungodly. This isn't going to go back to normal even in the next few months.
sidewazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #124
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewazzz View Post
The amount of people not working in a short amount of time is ungodly. This isn't going to go back to normal even in the next few months.
Bingo. Nothing will be normal for quite some time...and even then, the normal won't be the same as it was. People will be happy just to have some semblance of it...but it won't be the same, IMO.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 03-26-2020, 03:24 PM   #125
Bob Ballew

Musk is a very interesting case study. Barnum huckster....perhaps...but, he is invested in far more than autos...Battery technology, solar, Space X technology and the list grows weekly..He is self-made and in the end, may prove he can pull it off. Lots of investors are betting he will succeed. Early investors did very well... Time will tell..
...We limited our investing in cruise lines based on simple logic...(1) as a boat owner, I know the expense of owning boats is high; (2).people have to buy cars for transportation but, don't have to take cruises; (3) Cruise lines located their headquarters overseas to avoid paying U.S. taxes; (4) It is now biting them in the ass due to not being included in the tax relief bill unless you are located in the U.S. and the majority of your employees are citizens...(5) Unless Carnival moves their headquarters back to the US, they may very well run out of money and go bankrupt, dropping their stocks to rock bottom....That would be the time to buy....
...True, stocks are somewhat of a Las Vegas gamble, but, the Good Wife and I only bet on things where the long term odds are in our favor....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-26-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #126
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Musk is a very interesting case study. Barnum huckster....perhaps...but, he is invested in far more than autos...Battery technology, solar, Space X technology and the list grows weekly..He is self-made and in the end, may prove he can pull it off. Lots of investors are betting he will succeed. Early investors did very well... Time will tell..
Yea, I'm quite aware of his products. None of which impress me and are failing, except for maybe SpaceX. I believe that's the one 'the club' is interested in and is fostering, hence his alleged success so far..but not without a lot of help, IMO. Time will tell. There's just no damned reason TSLA stock price should be as high as it is unless the public is just that dang stupid. Porche has already produced and is selling an electric version that outperforms TSLA in every way. Other major car companies have products about ready to hit the market that are better and won't unexpectedly crash you into walls at 80mph and trap you in a fiery inferno. OH, the MSM didn't report those multiple incidents? Hmmmm... why is that?
Old 03-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #127
Bob Ballew

Marcus....For the "Inner Circle" aka the Club, the big bonanza has just arrived. It is on page 203 of the 880 page, "relief" bill now before the House....Trump looks out for his good buddies....
...It reads something like this: It permits wealthy investors to use losses generated by real estate to minimize taxes on profits from things like investments in the stock market. Like wine, it makes a good blend....
...Estimated cost over 10 years: $170 billion! Called "depreciation" in real estate, it permits big tax breaks from only-on-paper losses even as they enjoy big cash profits in the real world...To put some frosting on the cake, the bill also removes restrictions (from 2017 tax bill limits) on losses that people can carry over from previous years.
...For people who stop to read between the lines and have a Plan, it is indeed, "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood"....Good Wife!...Comemere' and look at the Easter Egg I just found!!…….and, it's not even April yet.....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-26-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #128
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Marcus....For the "Inner Circle" aka the Club, the big bonanza has just arrived. It is on page 203 of the 880 page, "relief" bill now before the House....Trump looks out for his good buddies....
...It reads something like this: It permits wealthy investors to use losses generated by real estate to minimize taxes on profits from things like investments in the stock market. Like wine, it makes a good blend....
...Estimated cost over 10 years: $170 billion! Called "depreciation" in real estate, it permits big tax breaks from only-on-paper losses even as they enjoy big cash profits in the real world...To put some frosting on the cake, the bill also removes restrictions (from 2017 tax bill limits) on losses that people can carry over from previous years.
...For people who stop to read between the lines and have a Plan, it is indeed, "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood"....Good Wife!...Comemere' and look at the Easter Egg I just found!!…….and, it's not even April yet.....
lol...none of that is a surprise to me. Many of them benefited hugely from the congressional meeting on the virus response and sold the shit out of everything before the market crashed. Yeaaaa, Martha Stewart went to jail for such insider trading. Watch, nothing will happen with these mobsters. Absolutely disgusting.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:52 AM   #129
Bob Ballew

...Well, look at the positive side..This time, some of the relief will help mom and pop investers like the Good Wife and I, as well as, small businessmen and homeowners.
...It goes by the name of, "trickle down economics"....crumbs for sure, but, for those willing to do the homework, enough crumbs can be made into a cake...or, a cupcake, anyway.....

oopps, I was incorrect...The cost to taxpayers isn't $170 billion, it is actually $200 billion. Oh well, what's $30 billion or so, these days?

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-27-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #130
Bob Ballew

...Something to keep in mind if you plan to play the stock market game...The relief bill will prop up the market as it makes wild swings up and down...BUT, my opinion is that the up will only be temporary, then, odds are it will drop drastically again...If I was playing the cruise line bet, I would day trade it and sell quickly as soon as I could make a profit. Do it over and over and you might come out ahead. But, trying to time the market has bankrupted more than one day trader who got caught on a crash...
...The virus end will be the ultimate decision maker insofar as the market going up to a point of reliability. Until then, it is wild west betting at best. For that reason, we are buying carefully when prices are down, throwing the stuff on a shelf and will wait for better times to occur. Assuming most of us are still alive...

Good news in the mail today: Our credit union backed HELOC rate just dropped from 4.75 to 3.75 percent and could drop more as time goes by...Another Easter Egg before April...Also, more good news on federal student loan payments...it appears that payments will be suspended for 6 months, interest will not accrue and non-payment will not adversely affect your credit rating....our completed loan package went to the underwriters today for approval...a quick appraisal and it should be a go...next, is a refi on our rental house...plus, try to hide out long enough for the virus to pass us by....That damn kid went fishing again today instead of finishing the painting on our fence...when I complained, the Good Wife just said, "Look in the mirror"....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-28-2020 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #131
Marcus

lol...geesh, the Fed Reserve have thrown the kitchen sink at it in the form of fiat money and D.C. is promising to throw another 2 TRILL at it...the market has acted 'not impressed'. Tread carefully.
I've been trying to get properly positioned into precious metal miners. Shit's wild, yo.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:10 AM   #132
Bob Ballew

A couple more suggestions: The banks don't want to look bad, so, they are taking some steps to make it look like they are helping out...one is to allow deferment of payments for 3 months...if your bank offers it, grab it quickly and run like hell.
...Why?...despite billions up for grabs, the run for the money is likely to be fast and furious, especially for line of credit cash to stay afloat (i.e. cruise lines, airlines, etc.). Even that money will probably be drained and the banks will then loan money out to only good risk clients, leaving risky loans on hold...If you can refi or obtain a HELOC, do it fast before the money runs out...The longer the virus takes to end, the closer we will be to tanking from a recession into a full-blown depression...If that occurs, people will be breaking into your house to steal food for their kids...But, what do I know...except that people are standing in line at all the gun stores....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-28-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:57 PM   #133
Bob Ballew

...If you have children in the military, they are moving to call back all reserves, all retirees and even, disabled vets...Two thoughts on that: as military personnel fall due to close contact on ships and bases, they will have to plug the holes or, as some of my military friends believe, our enemies are using the virus distraction to prepare for a strike against the U.S. Guess I had better prepare to puppy sit my Navy daughter's 4 dogs....May have missed the real plan...use the military to declare martial law and put the U.S. on total lockdown. No movement whatsoever for 30 to 60 days...might work to head off the virus and a depression....Only thing remaining is being depressed...
...Creative Award of the Day: The guy who is advertising a roll of Charmin 3-ply on e-bay at a starting bid of $200. He is getting lots of hate mail telling him where he can stuff it...
...Whatever will occur over the next 2 months, it is wise to have food and water stocked to last that long if our country has to go on total lockdown.....

...All across the nation, plumbers are fully employed unstopping sewer lines. People seem to think it is ok to put non-biodegradable baby and alcohol wipes down the toilet. Where plumbers peviously averaged 4 sewer callouts a day, it is now closer to 13...Water departments also are complaining that the wipes are clogging up the filters at the treatment plants....No, Sears is not bio-degradeable...no corncobs either...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-29-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:52 AM   #134
Bob Ballew

Black Monday, Oct. 1987...I was diving at Santa Barbara island with my buddy Darryl Gath. We were on a large 75' yacht and having a great time on the water. WSB were present and the weather was nice and calm. One other boat was on site and I spoke with owner Terry Maas as we dove the same area.
...The yacht owner was glued to his tv screen all day and looking glum. After conversing with him at the end of the day, we were advised that the stock market had crashed and he had lost $75,000 in just one day. It was a good lesson for me on investing.
...Back on the dock, I asked if he could give me some good advice on investing...
He replied, "Always leave yourself a back door to get out", and, he smiled...
...In just the past week or so, Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway company lost over $18 billion of stock investments. But....he is still buying, not selling....

Moral: Stay focused, stay on track and stay positive. AND stay on lockdown for the next month while death floats thru the country....That too shall pass...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 04-01-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:01 AM   #135
Marcus

It's easy to buy when you still have dry powder. I'm trying to hang on to what I have at the moment. You still holding tight to F and UAL? IMO, I'd shed the latter in a heart beat. But hey, WTF do I know? Rhetorical, I'm still trying to figure that question out.