Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
Monkey11798

Can you identify this speargun?

Hi spearos,

My uncle found this gun in the trash one day and gave it to me. It has no identifying marks on it as to what brand it is. It seems to be an older gun or its a homemade gun. I have not been around the sport long enough to figure that out. If anyone has any information on it please let me know. Here are some pictures of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1514.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	229610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1515.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	229611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1516.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	229612  
Monkey11798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
FreediveCA

Re: Can you identify this speargun?

I do not know myself, but if I was a betting man I'd bet that PopgunPete would know.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
Monkey11798

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreediveCA View Post
I do not know myself, but if I was a betting man I'd bet that PopgunPete would know.
Awesome thank you.
Monkey11798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:37 AM   #4
akonvisher

Looks like rsussian home made speargun.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
akonvisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
virgili

underwater Kalach?

www.divefreeapp.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/spearfishingmotion
virgili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:56 AM   #6
popgun pete

I remember in the early to mid 2000's there was a "System 3" speargun being promoted on a web-site of the same name which had a cylindrical grip handle just like on your gun. The guy making them had a multi-axis milling machine and every part of the gun was generated by machining metal bar stock to produce the shapes required. A very expensive way to make a speargun, they were not cheap to buy. The enterprise fell over after only a few months, but my guess is that you have one of the "System 3" guns that he actually sold to the public. Later on he had another attempt with a skeletonized ladder frame type of gun which fired two spears, one on top and one underneath the barrel consisting of rectangle sections and bracing trusses in a flat-sided, vertical beam type of layout. Being modular you could extend or shorten the gun by adding or removing frame sections. “Windows” in the frames held optional wooden blocks to make the gun a floater. That second gun disappeared pretty quickly as well.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #7
popgun pete

Here is that skeleton frame, double shot speargun; the "XXX Ace", or some name very much like that. I had saved a screen shot of the gun advert at the time, but that is buried two computers back. For now this tiny photo will have to do, but it should be enough to get the wheels of memory turning. Thanks to Ron Mullins who supplied the photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	two shot skeleton frame gun.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	229795  
Old 11-07-2016, 11:53 PM   #8
popgun pete

Any luck with dismantling the gun so that we can see the inner works? There is probably a grub screw holding the safety control knob on. Once the safety control shaft comes out I expect that the cap screws holding the grip can be removed and then the entire grip handle will slide rearwards out of the fork created by the rear extensions of the front stock. I can pretty well tell how the gun comes apart just by looking at it as I have dismantled many strange and unusual spearguns over the years.

A common feature of this "System 3" gun and the "Ace XX" double speargun is the decoratively drilled triggers, as although you cannot see it the "Ace XX" has a string of tiny holes drilled in a vertical line in its sliding action trigger. Ron Mullins purchased an "Ace XX" on eBay from someone who had found it and we then checked out the inner works. Basically a sliding bar with staggered cutouts top and bottom allowed the upper and lower sear levers to turn as the cutouts lined up with the reverse sear lever "tails" thereby allowing them to turn and loose the shafts in a set sequence. No band load and the spears just stay put, unless you yanked them out by hand, hence it was a somewhat disappointing mechanism from a technical viewpoint.

P.S. Ron sent me a photo of the Ace's innards, now attached, so now you can see those small holes in the trigger.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	System 3 speargun trigger.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	229796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ace innards.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	229814  

Last edited by popgun pete; 11-08-2016 at 09:24 AM. Reason: more info, plus name is "Ace XX"
Old 11-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #9
popgun pete

Although I don't have the "System 3" speargun to dismantle, here is my best guess using the trigger mechanism design rules. The releasing surface (the "sear") where the trigger retention step and sear lever tail directly interact must lie somewhere near the green circle. Trigger mechanism designs usually aim for greater pivot pin spacing as then you can achieve higher mechanism gearing and thus lower trigger pull, with a "cam lock" requiring that contact either inside, or on the periphery, of the green circle. That assumes the gun designer knows what he is doing! Often home-made gun designers take their design cues from existing guns, but they may then make changes which are not the best way to go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	System 3 speargun analysis A.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	229864  

Last edited by popgun pete; 11-11-2016 at 01:14 AM.