Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
speargun100

Spearfishing Winter RI

Anyone know if fish are around Rhode Island waters in the winter? I've got a 5 mm wetsuit gloves and boots and looking to go spearfishing if anyones interested.
speargun100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Agador
Argonaut

Re: Spearfishing Winter RI

Hi,

I checked Jamestown area last weekend - no signs of fish close to shore (up to 55ft)
However, other member reported successful rod-n-reel fishing in Newport area on similar depth. I guess, it was of the boat/kayak.
I think if you can access to offshore reefs/structures, you can find fish around.
I would suggest 7mm suit though.
Can't join you, since I got sick Good luck and dive safe!
Agador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
spearoscott

The area I was fishing (R&R from boat), is off ocean drive newport. Yesterday we only got 2 keeper tog. Not much else out there for boats so i don't know if others any better. Monday was lock and load though, same as last week. Maybe the storm rolling in shut the bite off, not sure. The tog are probably still there but most the action seemed to be deeper then 40'. Tog closes in 6 days.

Some random cod being caught. You could easily try to yak the high spots off kings beach newport, seal, haycock, etc. On the fish finder it looks like cod mid water column in 40's so if you drop to 25' and hang you could probably see what they are. but the best humps are a ways from shore..

At slack tide try Brenton reef, inside for tog outside of it for cod.

The colder it gets the closer the cod come to shore.

scallops are open for December, all other shellfish taste great in the winter too. If you like snail salad you can get whelks but they usually a little under the sand now till feb/march so you have to work for them. If your in a trap area they will be walking around and easy to spot.
spearoscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:23 AM   #4
speargun100

Okay. The issue is I don't a have a dive buddy.
speargun100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 PM   #5
tread684

Hey speargun100, I'm on aquidneck island and regularly go once things warm up to 50. Just to second Agador's recommendation, you're going to want a 7mm suit for coldwater. I've been out when the water was 45 and there was very little happening. If you need a dive buddy let me know I may be able to get away from work and dive with you.
tread684 is offline   Reply With Quote