Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-31-2020, 01:37 AM   #1
CaliDiverDan

Notable shift in politeness on this site...

I am not a fish slayer compared to the top notch spearos, and I do not claim to be a bad-ass. There are years when I get out 6-8 times a month and years when I get out once every 1-3 months. I used to check in on spear board when I was looking for a dive buddy in the so-cal area. Not to steal spots, but just to meet people to dive with. And every once in a while I would just check in on the So-cal section to see what was going on and maybe drop a comment here and there. But almost every time the threads would devolve into name calling, and claims like "you suck, I'm the best, you suck, faggot..." So usually I signed off with a pit in my stomach only to check in a few months later to find the same BS.

Well, It's been several months since I last checked in and I read most of the threads since then to find everyone being mostly very polite, helpful and encouraging of others who are learning. I don't know what is responsible for this shift, but it is pretty major, and appreciated.
CaliDiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:51 PM   #2
North Star
Max

Re: Notable shift in politeness on this site...

Most of the less than polite people moved to another forum. It is a distinct improvement to have them gone. Glad you are here Dan. I appreciate your attitude and approach. Looking forward to hearing some trip reports from you!
Old 09-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #3
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
Most of the less than polite people moved to another forum. It is a distinct improvement to have them gone. Glad you are here Dan. I appreciate your attitude and approach. Looking forward to hearing some trip reports from you!
LOL

Most of the respectful people left this site years ago due to the ugliness. The other site has none of the madness that you see here. They actually have some moderation over there and if you're going to be an idiot you get booted. As soon as you lost that here years ago, it deteriorated. That's what you get when the lunatics run the asylum. I think you're seeing a distinct shift because it got so ugly a few weeks ago a few of the pot stirrers aren't posting as much.

I'd have to agree it's a nice change of pace.
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:00 PM   #4
Bob Ballew

...LOL indeed...Mr. Hughes would make a great politician, as he seems to shift positions based on his agenda of the moment..Since I was the object of a vicious verbal attack by Mr. Hughes recently, I feel qualified to rebutt a few of his self-serving comments....
...First, Spearboard has lots of respectful members on board, as it is not unusual to have over 1,000 reads and numerous replies to a post, all respectful. True, the other site where Mr. Hughes hangs out, has no madness, because if you dare differ from their narrow viewpoint, you get booted. It's their site; who cares?
...In contrast, Spearboard moderators respect the 1st Amendment rights of Free Speech. Feel free to agree or disagree without getting booted, unless you pose a threat to others. "Lunatics" do not rule the asylum unless you count the pot stirrers coming over from "other sites" who use bully tactics to try to control who and what gets posted. Call them on it and they will depart back where they came from...
...The sad part is none of my old timer dive friends will post anymore..They don't want to deal with people like Mr. Hughes, who have the audicity to attack others based on half-facts and half-truths. Sadly, fake news has become part of the landscape these days...Me, I will continue to post what may be useful to fellow divers (at least, until the moderators run out of patience)...o.k., get out the popcorn...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 09-01-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Bob Ballew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #5
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
...LOL indeed...Mr. Hughes would make a great politician, as he seems to shift positions based on his agenda of the moment..Since I was the object of a vicious verbal attack by Mr. Hughes recently, I feel qualified to rebutt a few of his self-serving comments....
...First, Spearboard has lots of respectful members on board, as it is not unusual to have over 1,000 reads and numerous replies to a post, all respectful. True, the other site where Mr. Hughes hangs out, has no madness, because if you dare differ from their narrow viewpoint, you get booted. It's their site; who cares?
...In contrast, Spearboard moderators respect the 1st Amendment rights of Free Speech. Feel free to agree or disagree without getting booted, unless you pose a threat to others. "Lunatics" do not rule the asylum unless you count the pot stirrers coming over from "other sites" who use bully tactics to try to control who and what gets posted. Call them on it and they will depart back where they came from...
...The sad part is none of my old timer dive friends will post anymore..They don't want to deal with people like Mr. Hughes, who have the audicity to attack others based on half-facts and half-truths. Sadly, fake news has become part of the landscape these days...Me, I will continue to post what may be useful to fellow divers...get out the popcorn...
Round two Bob??

I see after getting put in your place a few weeks back you've rested and are ready for some more punishment? I see you must be up drinking again to step up after that last beating you took.
Let's not forget who drug my name out first Bob just like you're doing now. Would you like to revisit the threads? Oh no, I wouldn't go there and.....you deleted most of them due to your truths being exposed.

In regards to the moderation, can a spearboard moderator please step forward??? LOL. Won't happen as even Tony (the owner for those that don't know) doesn't have time for the silliness around here. Plus, the drama is good for the clicks. If there were any moderators here somebody would have stepped in and actually enforced some of the rules. You know the stickies that have been on the front page for about 15 years now? So sorry, Mods left along with anybody smart enough to stay out of the fray. Apparently I'm not that smart.....
But I won't have to stoop down to calling names as you have Bob. As I said before, you make yourself look bad enough by your many posts. Have at it Bob, You are the King!
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
Old 09-01-2020, 11:38 PM   #6
Bob Ballew

Well, Mr, Hughes, I kept all your nasty posts up for over two weeks, until I started getting requests to remove all of it to restore harmony on Spearboard. I did so after over 3,000 readers had a chance decide for themselves what the facts were. Not that any of it was ever any of your business to start with. My advice is to practice what you preach and all will be fine....out
Bob Ballew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #7
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

Haha, you dragging my name in here again with a personal attack on this thread of all threads says it all Bob. Pretty Rich. You are your own worst enemy pal. Like I've said all along, nobody makes you look worse than YOU buddy. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #8
surfer349

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
what other forum did they move to?
surfer349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:11 AM   #9
Homestead_Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer349 View Post
what other forum did they move to?

I’m wondering that myself, there are some knowledgeable people here but it’s so slow now compared to say 15 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Homestead_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #10
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

The funny thing is, Tony put a block on the word here because so many people were leaving. Let's try this and see if it works or brings out the mystery mods....

S
P
E
A
R
I
N
G
F
O
R
U
M
C
O
M

A responsible site would allow you multiple sources of info in this sport if not for safety alone wouldn't it??
Old 09-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #11
Scuba Fever

Really nice fish John. I haven't seen anything for weeks, regardless of the depth hunted. Good thing its almost Lobster season again!
Old 09-02-2020, 11:13 PM   #12
Homestead_Dad

Notable shift in politeness on this site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hughes View Post
The funny thing is, Tony put a block on the word here because so many people were leaving. Let's try this and see if it works or brings out the mystery mods....

S
P
E
A
R
I
N
G
F
O
R
U
M
C
O
M

A responsible site would allow you multiple sources of info in this sport if not for safety alone wouldn't it??

Thanks, but this site has always been very helpful to me and I even find some of the more heated exchanges informative and entertaining.

Homestead_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #13
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestead_Dad View Post
Thanks, but this site has always been very helpful to me and I even find some of the more heated exchanges informative and entertaining.

You're welcome. And of course the drama is entertaining. That's why you have thousands of views on threads where people are just throwing mud. This is a great place if you like that sort of thing. If you like a little more respectful dialogue between divers with more experience, other sites may be more suited to you.

And it's only my opinion but as the sport has exploded over the years less and less info has been shared. That's for a variety of reasons. Not just here but across all the boards.

And of course, as I always point out this is just my experience and opinion. And I suck. So take it for what you will.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #14
Captn Ron
Long Beach Neptune

Give it a rest Bob
Old 09-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #15
LookPointShoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestead_Dad View Post

I think instagram/facebook caused message sites like this one and that other one to slow way down
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote