Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-27-2017, 05:36 AM   #61
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Re: Crimping stiff spectra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPG-70 View Post
Absolutely. That was the weak and Im glad it was there.
But that was just my little reef gun and it held up to the tuna fine (albeit a smaller one).
The point being though the crimped dyneema with single bend on the line side didn't yield or even tighten on the loop.
Gotcha, and as you said, you might have lost the whole gun otherwise.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:10 AM   #62
Behslayer

Cool story NPG!

I've been on both sides of that story.. landing a few nice ones on the Reels, but also losing my gun on one when I got spooled and couldn't cut the line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10687282_597636207011854_1509335143483951318_o.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	232074  
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #63
Behslayer

On the subject of crimping spectra. I know it's not pretty, but on my own equipment I've used a simple overhand knot on Spectra/Dyneema to shaft connection and landed a few thousand lbs of Wahoo, King Mackerel, Emperor, Mu, etc using that set up.

I have never pool tested any effect on accuracy but it's pretty low profile. There's also the added advantage of being able to pull the knot so it has a little slack and actually trails behind shaft if you want or to use this ability to micro adjust the tension of your shooting line or so that you can use with a Euro set up. Quite simple too in that you can cut off your knot and re-tie one literally with your gloves on in the water if need be. I've never. ever. had my line or the knot break.

To be clear, this is simply running the dyneema through your shaft, and then tying an overhand knot which lies on one side of the shaft.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #64
FreediveCA

That's sweet that it didn't slip, but I think the loop was not done the same as Majd's example. He has the loop on the inside of the crimp whereas your loop is on the tag end. I am curious then if the loop is necessary.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #65
NPG-70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Cool story NPG!

I've been on both sides of that story.. landing a few nice ones on the Reels, but also losing my gun on one when I got spooled and couldn't cut the line.
Thanks.

The experience was completely worth losing the shaft!

Was an absolute eye opener to line management/safety. After being connected to such immense and thoroughly relentless power, if I had somehow become tangled in that, I might not be typing this. I was 5m under in the time it took me to let go of the line.
I wear my knife above my left elbow and even though I never wrap the line around my hand to haul on, if my right hand somehow got caught, I'd be gone. Nothing my buddies would have been able to do either. So from now on I'll either be wearing it where both hands can reach, or I'll put another one on the other elbow...and I don't care if I get laughed at.
Also no one dives off my boat without a knife that can cut their own reel line.
NPG-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #66
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Majd, what are you using to protect the spectra loop on the rest tab? have finally got some of those lovely 7.5mm Hunt shafts on the way - be running 1.7mm stiff spectra - and given their cost want to do my best not to lose em!
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:15 AM   #67
spearq8

You can put a PVC sleeve to protect the spectra at the tie in on the shark fin. I do that with mono all the time, especially when shooting heavy 8.5mm shafts. You can buy them at fishing supply stores. But if your line starts to show signs of even slight wear ... just replace it or if the wear is just at the tie in, cut it off and and re-tie. If using a reel this slight change in shooting line length won't affect anything. If using a bungee ... you can have a small extra 6 to 12inch line tied at the bungee end which you can change out as you shorten your shooting line. Personally I just change the line.
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:31 AM   #68
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
You can put a PVC sleeve to protect the spectra at the tie in on the shark fin. I do that with mono all the time, especially when shooting heavy 8.5mm shafts. You can buy them at fishing supply stores. But if your line starts to show signs of even slight wear ... just replace it or if the wear is just at the tie in, cut it off and and re-tie. If using a reel this slight change in shooting line length won't affect anything. If using a bungee ... you can have a small extra 6 to 12inch line tied at the bungee end which you can change out as you shorten your shooting line. Personally I just change the line.
thanks Majd. yep, with shooting line so hard to come by out here i do that exact same little 'spacer' section at the bungee end
Until something toothy wraps up and nicks the line halfway and have to start afresh.
Re the PVC sleeve on the spectra shaft loop, do you mean clear tube, or the spiral springs we use on trolling gear?
Bit of a dbl-edged sword the springs as they do protect, but you cant see how the mono [or spectra in this case] inside is wearing. With the plastic tube you can at least see the condition of the line inside, but am not sure how much protection the soft clear tube gives with a big dynamic load on the line, i.e. a big hoo lighting the afterburners?
Hunt 170 x 8.5mm shafts for my new build are gonna be costing north of A$200 each landed here, hence going back to school on the chafing gear!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hi-seas_loop-spring.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	232130  

Last edited by kavachi; 03-31-2017 at 03:34 AM. Reason: deleted the annoying bloody emoji
Old 03-31-2017, 08:57 AM   #69
Behslayer

For Dyneema lines, If you just use a Stopper knot on one side you can always see any wear. Chafe gear is good if it fits and doesn't impede your line in anyway from moving. You can use Nylon Tube, Jinkai loops, or you can use Hollowware Dyneema as a Sleeve.

Another thing you can do is to Smooth the hole. In the old days, before I had all this metal smoothing abrasive ropes, etc.. I'd just use some Dyneema coated in toothpaste and run it through the hole 1000 times..
Old 04-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #70
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
For Dyneema lines, If you just use a Stopper knot on one side you can always see any wear. Chafe gear is good if it fits and doesn't impede your line in anyway from moving. You can use Nylon Tube, Jinkai loops, or you can use Hollowware Dyneema as a Sleeve.
Another thing you can do is to Smooth the hole. In the old days, before I had all this metal smoothing abrasive ropes, etc.. I'd just use some Dyneema coated in toothpaste and run it through the hole 1000 times..
thanks for the advice Jon!
yep, using the old dyneema + grnding paste as havent gotten around to ordering abrasive cord. what grit cord do you find works best for smoothing holes out on 17-4PH stainless?
Old 04-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #71
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
thanks for the advice Jon!
yep, using the old dyneema + grnding paste as havent gotten around to ordering abrasive cord. what grit cord do you find works best for smoothing holes out on 17-4PH stainless?
dyneema and polish works great. You can use compound as well.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #72
Behslayer

Kavachi, honestly the best thing to use is a drill. You need to start with the right hole, then the polishing is less important. So I make sure I have a good clean drill hole through to begin with, like a 5/32" then, round the edge with a larger bit like a 1/4"or 5/16" so you have a neat bevel. I got some metalworking sanding string here, occasionally I'll use that. More often if I want to smooth Stainless I'll use SCR rouge like you would use on a buffing wheel and for a small hole like that I'd wrap some steel wool or metal grade scotchbrite around a stem in my drill or dremel and use that to hold the SCR rouge and give it a few passes. done. Basically you are just looking for a mesh to hold the SCR rouge so you could use a dyneema cord too.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #73
spearq8

I just use cotton or some other cord and wax it with SS buffing compound and pull it through many times while holding the line at an angle. The idea is to remove any sharp corners or edges. You can test for that by having a thread line and seeing if it hits any rough spots or snags.
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #74
phil herranen

A section of cable works good for removing any burrs before polishing the hole

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #75
Satdiver

1.4mm wire, rated at 400lb from Catch All Tackle
Single Crimped with the plastc coating left on- Slipped around 113kg
Single Crimped with the plastic coating removed- Had no slip at all, Broke around 135kg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2fff.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	232235   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2ffd.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	232236   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2fef.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	232237   Click image for larger version

Name:	n4XDceWsRkGUlQPfZA5s0g_thumb_30ed.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	232238   Click image for larger version

Name:	iIJdiIbUTcmDvGbtBB2tBA_thumb_30ec.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	232239  

Name:	9DUh9HLlQt+YEJkoxm9+LA_thumb_3000.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	232240   Click image for larger version

Name:	chBiOYnSQBmKiopDZETfwg_thumb_3001.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	232256  

Last edited by Satdiver; 04-04-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote