Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #32
jfjf

Re: Zeagle Regulator Blows at 180 ft

I should probably add something to this discussion. Several people have mentioned feathering the valve ( basically open it half a turn, get some air and shut it off while you slowly exhale).

The rate of air loss in my situation was epic. I had around 2400 psi when it occurred, I shut it off in maybe 30 or 45 seconds and when we got on the boat the tank seemed pretty low on air. It was leaking faster than I would think could happen with the valve open and no regulator. The air was blasting out so fast that the second stage was giving me resistance. The effective intermediate pressure must have been low due to all the air being vented from the first stage before it could travel down a hose for my use.

Feathering a valve can work great for a freeflowing second stage or probably some other problems, but I doubt it would have worked well in this particular situation. Come to think of it _ a few weeks ago that exact thing happened with a buddy's pony bottle I borrowed for use on a freedive trip trying to recover a lost gun or fish. Luckily I was holding the tank in my hands, so I had easy access to the valve _ when I couldn't get the second stage to stop freeflowing by normal means.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote