Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Old 08-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
atomic water
born to lose!

?'s about Sony A6000 dive housing

Inquiring some info on a dive housing for my Sony A6000. Neewer, Polaroid, and Meikon make a housing that all pretty much look the same. Do any of you own or have used these brand of housings? Pros/cons? Should I save A LOT more cash and get an Ikelite or a Nauticam? Thanks in advance!
atomic water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
Scottyp

Re: ?'s about Sony A6000 dive housing

Have you gotten one yet? I'm looking to get a housing for that camera as well. It seems that a lot of people do use the same rebranded housings such as neewer and meikon and it works for them. One thing that worries me though is I'm not sure if those housings are trustworthy because the depth rating says "about 40 meters". I think I'll just save a bit more and take the safe option of the Ikelite.

Last edited by Scottyp; 10-11-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Scottyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I have used 4 of these meikon housings between NEX5 NEX5r A6000....used it on a big budget documentary too..

So far, about half a dozen friends bought the same housing after suggesting it to them and they all love it. Kyle Porker is the only one that bought a 10bar housing for his NEX camera instead, and he still hasn't managed to kill it over all these years...cost about 1000 for that one tho...and about 1900 for the a6000 version here

https://www.opticaloceansales.com/se...flat-port.html

Old 10-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
kwtony
Snorkel Master

thats about the only thing I wish i could change on it would be to drill a hole in the side and add an HDMI out on them so i can add an external monitor.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
Scottyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
thats about the only thing I wish i could change on it would be to drill a hole in the side and add an HDMI out on them so i can add an external monitor.
Thanks! Now I know I can trust that housing. Do you think it's worth it to invest in a expensive strobe light if I'm just free-diving to take photo/video? Or should I just get a video light for it? And is it difficult to use lights while you're free-diving with it?
Old 10-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I use Archon D11v lights, not only for this but also my little go pro setup as well. They use 18650 which i use on my ecig pens, so it was a no brainer. I would suggest VTC4 batteries or OLIGHT 18650.

They have 3 settings, high low and blinking....Super wide and a perfect beam with no hot spots. I bought two..

Archon D11V Diving Light Cree XM-L Lamp Outdoor Super-bright LED Flashlight 860 Lumens Flashlight 2 X Cr123 Or 1 X 18650 Li-ion Battery Waterproof Travel Flashlight(batteries are not included) - Basic Handheld Flashlights - Amazon.com Archon D11V Diving Light Cree XM-L Lamp Outdoor Super-bright LED Flashlight 860 Lumens Flashlight 2 X Cr123 Or 1 X 18650 Li-ion Battery Waterproof Travel Flashlight(batteries are not included) - Basic Handheld Flashlights - Amazon.com

I use them more on land then anything these days, but they work great when I need to light up the whole backyard because I'm chasing after raccoons with my pole spear...

They work well for photo shoots as well because the wide beam... When doing long exposures, if I need something up close to be visible, I will hit it with the light for a spit second or 2...cant do this with a mag light These were done recently with my a6000...

Old 10-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #7
Scottyp

Thanks Tony for the response! I really appreciate all the help. I'm currently ordering the camera and the housing, and I will soon be in the water taking pictures.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:04 AM   #8
kwtony
Snorkel Master

NICE...Youll be glad you did. make sure the a6000 comes with the 16-50 lens for your housing.

I found a link that had the domes at 100 bucks and bought two a while ago, that listing has ended but this is a close second.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEIKON-200mm...item1c59996991

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-40M-130ft...item3f4c445c0b

Last edited by kwtony; 10-12-2015 at 06:10 AM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:27 AM   #10
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I made my first few handles from 1/2 PVC and some 9 degrees. Used an eyebolt drilled through the bottom and screwed into the camera base. Added 3 go pros with clamps and if you look carefully enough youll see my ARM support extension I added to keep everything still....Worked like a freaking charm...Ill have to dig deep for a better photo or try and find them at the house when the sun comes up

Old 10-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
Scottyp

Quote:
I made my first few handles from 1/2 PVC and some 9 degrees. Used an eyebolt drilled through the bottom and screwed into the camera base. Added 3 go pros with clamps and if you look carefully enough youll see my ARM support extension I added to keep everything still....Worked like a freaking charm...Ill have to dig deep for a better photo or try and find them at the house when the sun comes up

Thanks! That seems a bit too bulky for my uses but if I start scuba diving I'll have to try that out. Unfortunately I have not gotten the camera yet and I'm just waiting for a good deal to pop up. I think I'll be buying it soon though and the housing.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #12
kwtony
Snorkel Master

That picture cracks me up thinking about it. YES it was bulky I guess,, but it worked great for my application. Very light and made on the spot, hell I was in port in Sebastian and made this real quick before a dive.

Here are pics of two of the setups a little closer. For what its worth, they are quite small. Everyone I know uses these for freediving. It all depends on what you are looking to do tho.

These new gopros are actually pretty good and can cover a wide range of needs. .

Old 10-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #13
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

The 10bar housings are worth every penny. I Don't even bother washing mine after I dive anymore. The thing just refuses to die. Bulletproof little thing.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:11 AM   #14
Scottyp

Quote:
That picture cracks me up thinking about it. YES it was bulky I guess,, but it worked great for my application. Very light and made on the spot, hell I was in port in Sebastian and made this real quick before a dive.

Here are pics of two of the setups a little closer. For what its worth, they are quite small. Everyone I know uses these for freediving. It all depends on what you are looking to do tho.

These new gopros are actually pretty good and can cover a wide range of needs. .

I'll definitely be buying the camera+housing soon. And one last question, is the dome port a wet lens meaning you fit the dome with water?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:16 AM   #15
Scottyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
The 10bar housings are worth every penny. I Don't even bother washing mine after I dive anymore. The thing just refuses to die. Bulletproof little thing.
I'll definitely have to look into those but unfortunately they are out of my price range. Probably after using the camera for a while I will look into upgrading the housing to something that is higher quality like the 10bar housing.