Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #16
dkay

Re: Reef Donkey Season

2 things ... Your dive buddy was as useless as they come! And you have a unique gift to speak underwater! That video was absolutely hilarious!
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #17
Eibwen

I'll add my .02 here

The fish wasn't going anywhere after it was shot. It was bleeding and losing oxygen (gill shot). There is absolutely no reason shooter couldn't have let the jack continue to swim loops for a minute or two before swimming in and wrestling with it. That's what I would have done. That is unless of course sharks were right there (but in that case I wouldn't have shot a pelagic in any case). As Cuzza rightly points out it is difficult to judge without knowing if there was a spearbuddy agreement. Why didn't shooter have a stringer or lift bag?

I'm not a fan of listening to people scream into their regs under water. Hand signals were developed for diving for a reason. Throwing a shit fit because you chose to wrestle a still green fish kinda ruins the mood of what should be a fun time diving and shooting fish.

EDIT - I also have not observed worms. If I missed any I guess I'll just say that they smoke up fine and taste just like AJ

EDIT x2 - Brought myself to finish watching the video. Just seems unhinged. With that sort of anger I'm surprised he didn't just turn and spear his clueless dive buddy.

Last edited by Eibwen; 08-01-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #18
captadam123

Guess I am spoiled with having a good backup lol
captadam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:11 PM   #19
jfjf

I accept any and all criticism.. as long as you laugh half as much as I do when I watch it.

The shot was a good holding shot, but was 2 inches off where it should have been.

As for my urgency, that place often has several large resident bulls and they know what spearfishing is, so I really do not like getting wrapped up with a bleeding fish that I can not ditch if need be.

Plus, I was pissed at myself as much as anything for messing up a relatively easy shot and then wasting time, when we were supposed to be hunting groupers not shooting, bloody, wormy jacks.. but I couldn't resist. I was using a double wrap of line, which I almost never do except for freediving for cobia, but I was too lazy to shorten the line, giving me lots of mono to wrap around me and my gear.

And.. hand signals ??LOL.. Can you guess what kind of hand signals I would have been displaying if I had chosen that means of communication ???
LOL

Last edited by jfjf; 08-01-2019 at 09:22 PM.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:44 PM   #20
CuzzA

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:08 AM   #21
Sea_Bass

I've seen worms in East coast Almaco jacks recently, but not sure if this is rare or expected like big AJs.

That video was hilarious. I've I was in JFJF's fins, I would have been yelling too. Don't want to get bull rushed like Sea Archer around here.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #22
Diverboy067

Two things going on in that video......1) Don't shoot fish you can't handle by yourself. Everyone has limits and one of the reason I don't shoot big Aj's. I don't like them that much and they're not worth the risk/reward (for me)....Cobia on the other hand are worth it. 2) Make sure you and your buddy are on the same page, if he is supposed to assist or tag team, make sure he knows that and is not under the impression that he is supposed to watch and learn from the master.
Diverboy067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:59 AM   #23
CatDiver

It was definitely funny - but I'm a little kinder underwater when diving with idiots. But I do love talking under water. At least once every dive trip.

Here's an unplanned tag team on an AJ:

https://youtu.be/163lPXnFeg0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I accept any and all criticism.. as long as you laugh half as much as I do when I watch it.

The shot was a good holding shot, but was 2 inches off where it should have been.

As for my urgency, that place often has several large resident bulls and they know what spearfishing is, so I really do not like getting wrapped up with a bleeding fish that I can not ditch if need be.

Plus, I was pissed at myself as much as anything for messing up a relatively easy shot and then wasting time, when we were supposed to be hunting groupers not shooting, bloody, wormy jacks.. but I couldn't resist. I was using a double wrap of line, which I almost never do except for freediving for cobia, but I was too lazy to shorten the line, giving me lots of mono to wrap around me and my gear.

And.. hand signals ??LOL.. Can you guess what kind of hand signals I would have been displaying if I had chosen that means of communication ???
LOL
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #24
Marco

Video was funny, to some point.

I don't like diving with idiots either, but putting them into that stress with all that screaming will certainly don't help.

I go diving to relax. That situation was really stressfull. More than it should.

And I agree that we cannot pretend others to take care of our business, unless was specifically agreed before hitting the water.

At the end, you got the fish and both of you were safe. Thant's what really matters.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #25
tb_buc

I'm sorry but when you looked at him and asked for help and just got the stare, I busted out laughing...You: "Can you help me?" Dive Buddy: "I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish...".
I would like to have seen the footage back on the boat
tb_buc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #26
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb_buc View Post
I'm sorry but when you looked at him and asked for help and just got the stare, I busted out laughing...You: "Can you help me?" Dive Buddy: "I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish...".
I would like to have seen the footage back on the boat
That's Funny...But Honestly...even a Spanish speaking buddy couldn't have understood Any of that!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #27
tb_buc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
That's Funny...But Honestly...even a Spanish speaking buddy couldn't have understood Any of that!
No, probably not. But after the fact, no harm to anyone, all safe, that is some very funny shiite!
tb_buc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:24 PM   #28
CuzzA

I hate having to repeat myself underwater... I told my niece when I got her certified. When I pull on my ear. It means, "listen, I'm talking. Just gently exhale so you can hear me."

When diving with guys on closed circuit you can have a full conversation.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #29
captadam123

Holy chit cat diver, looked like that first shot whizzed by your head lol
captadam123 is offline   Reply With Quote