Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
Eibwen

S. of Anclote 8/8

Went out with Narcosis Scuba. $99 without gear rental (does not include tanks). Unfortunately they had 3 people getting certified and no one told the boat captain I was coming to spear (I reserved the spot specifically for "spearfishing" on the reservation form). Boat had inadequate ice. Boat dropped us on two spots south of Anclote. First was a bunch of culverts that held a good number of mangoes (medium size) which was neat to dive on (this is almost certainly a public #). Second was a ledge not far from the manmade reef which had a few mangoes and juvenile hogs but overall pretty typical of inshore (40-45ft depth) spots closer to Clearwater. Only grouper spotted were a handful of 12 inch reds. I took 5 OK sized mangoes. Could have shot more (pretty sure we were in federal waters) but didn't seem like good idea given fish already shot only had one small bag of half melted ice.

Morning vis was pretty good around 25'. Closer to noon water column was filled with gumbo and vis dropped closer to 15'.

Overall it was good to get in a few dives but feel I was robbed a bit by a lack of internal communication. May give them another try in future but I will stress over phone that needs to be communicated to boat captain.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
captadam123

Re: S. of Anclote 8/8

Most of those “head” dive boats are not going to put the time and fuel to bounce spots until you find fish. Most just drop you on some public numbers
captadam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:02 AM   #3
Capt Don

Next time try 2 Shea Charters in Clearwater.
Capt Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Also try my buddy Frank......he runs Hook & Spear charters out of Clearwater. He runs a first rate spearing charter. I have gone with him several times and he always put me on nice fish. His number is 813-394-5077

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #5
chawk25

Can't imagine they drop everyone on the meat but at least you got some mangoes.
chawk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
Dbrown

Agree with Cpt Don and Spear One. Those are the best 2 charter options out of Clearwater to shoot fish.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:40 AM   #7
steelcity
Big Brian

Not every trip is a homerun either. It sounds like you were the only shooter on a boat with student/rec divers so at that point the rec diving locations won out over spear locations. Good spear locations aren't really conducive to newbie rec divers because they can be scattered hard bottom which aren't easy to navigate.

Also our inshore area was pummeled by red tide last year and finding quality inshore fish is tricky. Everyone wants big dumb hogfish because they're easy to shoot but it's not like it was. Also most people can't shoot a bunch of mangos because they're difficult. So they'll say there's no fish down there because they can't hit them. Other times there truly are no fish there because they moved.

I found a new virgin spot a few weeks ago that was like nothing I've seen in a long time. Several different types of bait and the bottom was covered with gags. I went back to it recently for a personal fun day and everything was gone. No bait, no fish.

There's also more to it such as hot summer water temps push fish out, not being able to run out to 60ft+ of water in the allotted time for a half day trip, etc. It can be difficult to find the fish when you only have time to pick two locations for that half day trip.

So it's not all sunshine and roses when you're the Capt.

Last edited by steelcity; 08-11-2019 at 02:53 AM.
steelcity is offline   Reply With Quote