Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
Eibwen

Scuba tank air quality check

Aborted a dive this past weekend after I began to feel a bit confused (slow thinking) and felt like I was starting to slip away from full consciousness. 2nd dive at around 45 ft after first dive at 35 ft. I do safety stops, ate breakfast, had adequate sleep, and was hydrated so not sure what the cause could be.

I would likw to gwt something to check air quality on the tank in question or have ir checked. Anyone aware of a test device or if the run of the mill scuba shop is able to check air for CO or other bad gasses?

It waa the first dive on both tanks after they had their annual VIP.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:16 AM   #2
sharpshooter

Re: Scuba tank air quality check

Dive Gear Express sells a palm size CO monitor for scuba tanks.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
Aborted a dive this past weekend after I began to feel a bit confused (slow thinking) and felt like I was starting to slip away from full consciousness. 2nd dive at around 45 ft after first dive at 35 ft. I do safety stops, ate breakfast, had adequate sleep, and was hydrated so not sure what the cause could be.

I would likw to gwt something to check air quality on the tank in question or have ir checked. Anyone aware of a test device or if the run of the mill scuba shop is able to check air for CO or other bad gasses?

Try freediving
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:25 PM   #4
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post

You could get the fill tested, and if the fill is OK you could get YOU tested. If it is YOU and not the fill, freediving could get you dead.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Probably a good idea to get tanks checked. At the very least it will rule them out as the problem. One main culprit for your described symptoms could be a tight, too tight, wet suit. Seriously. Especially a tight wet suit being worn on probably your first cold water dive of the year.

Cold water, possibly rough winter weather, rocking small boat, limited deck room contributing to struggle to put on tight suit, struggle to gear up and get into water can all combine to produce a lot of bad issues, easily including the ones you described above.

Am not saying that the above is def your problem. But have seen this countless times over the years. If the tanks check out and you're fine physically, then I'd look hard at the stuff I described. Best, Dan

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
MeTo

Free diving is not for everyone. I have never been scuba diving and only freedive. It’s is serious stuff and I would not suggest going into it lightly. My first 7 years I was doing everything wrong. Took a level 2 course with Ted at Imersion and learned tons of safety stuff. Probably the number one mistake is using too much weight on the weight belt. I went from 18 pounds to 6 pounds after the course. No BC to float you up.
Good luck on figuring out your problem.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote