Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
ARK

Missing Flounder

Flounder used to be my favorite dish however for last couple of years I have seen dramatic decline in flounder population. As a matter of fact, I did not get single flounder in over 6 months! I would like to get some input from fellow divers in our area, (PC) do you think flounder population had declined? I have asked couple of experienced commercial divers and their response was: "they will be back". The problem is, I have asked 2 years ago when I first noticed decline in landings... And no flounder to be seen.
ARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Cool Re: Missing Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARK View Post
Flounder used to be my favorite dish however for last couple of years I have seen dramatic decline in flounder population. As a matter of fact, I did not get single flounder in over 6 months! I would like to get some input from fellow divers in our area, (PC) do you think flounder population had declined? I have asked couple of experienced commercial divers and their response was: "they will be back". The problem is, I have asked 2 years ago when I first noticed decline in landings... And no flounder to be seen.
ARK, you raise a very good question. The last time I dove the Ponce Inlet area, I saw a lot of flounder, but that was a few years ago when I was filming some contestants in the annual Big Bang Open Spearfishing Tournament. Tony
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
Reef Reaper

Re: Missing Flounder

While you guys are having your worst years, we (Jax) are having its best years in my knowledge of diving Jax for the past 7-8years. I noticed the increase in flounder the same time you guys were complaing about the decline, about two years ago sounds right. I don't think it's a stock issue. Maybe a migration issue? Possible the Okeechobee spill has pushed them more north?

Edit: it seems as if we had this conversation about a year ago. The run has been good this year so far...

Last edited by Reef Reaper; 06-25-2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Déjà vu
Reef Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
kingfishr

Send a message via AIM to kingfishr

Flounder everywhere out of Jax. We appreciate you guys scaring them North.
kingfishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

I shot one beauty (10lb) down south here in Jupiter last year, but that was the only one i saw all year.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
Megabeast

I'm out of Jax but I don't find them too often.. I think I go farther than the big numbers typically are. My mom loves the damn things.. I hate cleaning them

I use this technique https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZAjF7z8dY
Old 06-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
kingfishr

Send a message via AIM to kingfishr

I think all the Red Snapper are eating them.
kingfishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #8
joespy66

I dont want to blame the commercial guys for over harvesting but this is what i saw. Opening day of grouper we hit a couple of near shore wrecks out of canaveral. Both times a commercial guy shows up and his diver jumps in. I was upset they were crashing the wreck while I was on it but they felt justified because they had to earn a living. Besides they were going for flounder and we were after grouper. Both times the diver comes up with a stringer of flounder weighing 50 or 60 lbs. The diver said he cleaned out the bottom and time to move. And that was one day. Needless to say when I went down there wasnt a flat fish to be found.

I'm tired of commercial guys raping the bottom and taking fish that belong to everyone.
joespy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #9
Megabeast

Commercial guys are part of 'everyone' too though.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:51 AM   #10
ARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespy66 View Post
I dont want to blame the commercial guys for over harvesting but this is what i saw. Opening day of grouper we hit a couple of near shore wrecks out of canaveral. Both times a commercial guy shows up and his diver jumps in. I was upset they were crashing the wreck while I was on it but they felt justified because they had to earn a living. Besides they were going for flounder and we were after grouper. Both times the diver comes up with a stringer of flounder weighing 50 or 60 lbs. The diver said he cleaned out the bottom and time to move. And that was one day. Needless to say when I went down there wasnt a flat fish to be found.

I'm tired of commercial guys raping the bottom and taking fish that belong to everyone.
Thank you for your response. Are you saying this happened this year, May 1st, 2017?
ARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #11
joespy66

yes, this May 1st
Old 06-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #12
joespy66

yes they are part of everyone but they can take more than rec divers for the price of a license that doesnt pay for the true value of what they are taking. We all buy licenses that entitle us to harvest. But we dont all get the same return on investment.

FWC and the state have always been slow to increase size and reduce harvest limits. The clams in the indian river are a perfect example. For years clammers from up north raper the river while our legislators sat on their thumbs. Someone probably got rich while the rest of us lost a resource that may never return. The damage was done over a few years but will take generations to repair.

If the resource gets more restricted the value of it will increase. Commercial guys will get more for their catch while taking fewer animals. Its basic supply and demand economics. Too bad most are too short sighted and figure they need to take as much as possible and make the money now and when the resource is depleted move onto the next species.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #13
Megabeast

The price of the license doesn't mean anything though.. they're providing a product. What they paid for the right to harvest said product has no bearing on this discussion.

Your supply and demand argument does have merit though. When I started commercial spearfishing, it was unlimited grouper at 3.50$ per pound, when I left it was 1000lb trip limit at 6.00$ per pound.. and all in less than a 10 year period. But.. if the prices keep going up then wild caught fish will price itself out of the market vs farm raised garbage. This includes flounder.

As far as short-sightedness goes.. they're just people trying to pay their bills. An extra 100lbs of fish is the difference between just paying the bills and getting ahead a little bit.. or buying their kid a nice Christmas. I don't begrudge them trying to maximize their harvest.. it's their job after all.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:36 PM   #14
KillNTime
Underwater Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespy66 View Post
yes, this May 1st
Hard to believe that you were out on May 1st to get your 1 rec allowed grouper. We cancelled our commercial trip due to safety concerns in a 28fter. Most others did as well. Seas were 6 ft at very short periods and to my knowledge there was only one commercial diver out hitting the port wrecks that day
KillNTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #15
joespy66

You are right. It was May 1, 2016. I didn't pay careful attention to the question.