Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
LobsterManiac14

Leaderfins???

I am thinking about upgrading my fins. Right now I just have plastic freedive fins. Ive never tried carbon or fiberglass fins before, so I do not know the difference. Are they worth the money? Im trying to decide between the Mako Competition Fiberglass fin, or the Leaderfins pure carbon fin.. Are leaderfins any good? Does anybody have any experience with them?
And also, what fin stiffness would be best?
Im 15, 5'6, and about 110 lbs.
Im mostly diving in water 20ft to about 60ft, lobstering and spearfishing.
Thanks
LobsterManiac14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
SeaWolf83

Re: Leaderfins???

I upgraded from plastic to fiberglass Leaderfins and loved them. It was a night and day difference. I shore dive mostly in rough spots, PV, and they take a beating and perform well for me. Most people like medium stiffness.

I'm selling a brand new pair with Pathos foot pockets, any size, for $250 if you're interested. You can see it under my post.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
SeaWolf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
ApneaAndrew
r------> <><

Whatever you do get Soft mate. 110lb 5'6", any brand get Soft.
ApneaAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
ROBERTO REYES
MAN OVERBOARD

I agree, they are much better than any plastic fins, and the soft ones are a delight.
ROBERTO REYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
LobsterManiac14

Thanks guys for all the advise. So I think Im going to order a pair of the leaderfins. I guess Ill order them in soft. But do you think theres a noticeable difference between the fiberglass and the carbon? Thats what Im trying to decide. Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
HurricaneBK

I purchased the pure carbon leader fins a couple months ago and couldn't be happier with them. For $220 they can't be beat, comfortable foot pockets and great fins.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #7
LobsterManiac14

Great, thanks for the info Hurricane!
Old 11-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #8
Marco

Get the Leaderfins. Soft. You won't regret.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #9
LobsterManiac14

Ok, will do. Thanks Marco. Should I get the carbon or fiberglass? Do you think theres a noticeable difference? Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #10
Marco

Carbon is lighter and more responsive. I would get carbons.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #11
SeaWolf83

I've had both from Leaderfins and I didn't notice much of a difference.. Think they're not true carbons, they are a mix with a neoprene cover.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 PM   #12
LobsterManiac14

Ok that's what I've heard. Thanks Marco. And also, do you think its worth the extra money for the carbon leaderfins seawolf? Or is there not much difference? What do you think? Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 10:02 PM   #13
SeaWolf83

If you're within driving distance head to Spear America and look at them and price them out. The guys are friendly and give good advice. In my opinion, I wouldn't get Leaderfin carbons if they are much more, if you want carbons buy quality carbons, if you don't want to spend that much get fiberglass and you'll like them quite a bit compared to what you have now. I've had plastic fins, Leaderfins fiberglass and Leaderfins carbon mix. Next pair I get will be nice carbons.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:56 PM   #14
Marco

Neoprene? I think You're wrong Seawolf. Maybe you're mistaking with old Picasso's and now Elite? Leaderfins have no neoprene. Just weave and resin.

My son has the carbonmix for 3 years now and they're going strong. Pure carbons are PURE carbon. That's why are a little bit more expensives. Are there better fins? Yes! Are Leaderfins good? Yes!

If this is going to be your next carbon or composite pair, you will notice the difference from earth to heaven. Carbons are lighter, snappier and your legs will not tire.

You will notice the biggest difference when you have to wear your old plastics for any given reason.

But even more important than the blades themselfes are the footpockets. If they are not comfortable to your feet, you will suffer and will not enjoy a day out in the water.

Petros at Spearamerica is a great guy. I have never met him personally, but you can tell it by the way he interacts with people here; very kind and patient. And allways respectful. A gentleman.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #15
SeaWolf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Neoprene? I think You're wrong Seawolf. Maybe you're mistaking with old Picasso's and now Elite? Leaderfins have no neoprene. Just weave and resin.

My son has the carbonmix for 3 years now and they're going strong. Pure carbons are PURE carbon. That's why are a little bit more expensives. Are there better fins? Yes! Are Leaderfins good? Yes!

If this is going to be your next carbon or composite pair, you will notice the difference from earth to heaven. Carbons are lighter, snappier and your legs will not tire.

You will notice the biggest difference when you have to wear your old plastics for any given reason.

But even more important than the blades themselfes are the footpockets. If they are not comfortable to your feet, you will suffer and will not enjoy a day out in the water.

Petros at Spearamerica is a great guy. I have never met him personally, but you can tell it by the way he interacts with people here; very kind and patient. And allways respectful. A gentleman.
I have Leaderfins carbons with a neoprene cover on them. Bought at Spear America.... I know what I'm using. Had a fiberglass from them before these.

Either way plastic to fiberglass for the money is great improvement. Or you can go from a Civic to a Bentley....

Everyone knows Carbons are awesome but they're not always within everyone's budget or practical.. Shore dives.