Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Spearfishing After Shoulder Replacement

Down the road I am looking at a full shoulder replacement due to sever arthritis. Is there anyone out that has had a replacement and is back in the water cocking a gun?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
kwyoungspear

Re: Spearfishing After Shoulder Replacement

Probably not the answer you're looking for but one of my dads friend had a bad shoulder and used pneumatic guns and loves them.

My buddy Steel hurts his shoulder almost every year and he still cocks his gun fine, but he's 22.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:04 AM   #3
sealark

Check out stem cell therapy, I'm gonna need both knees and both hips done something to from arthritis. Had shoulder operated on , very successful but painful torn rotator cuff. good luck.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
Check out stem cell therapy, I'm gonna need both knees and both hips done something to from arthritis. Had shoulder operated on , very successful but painful torn rotator cuff. good luck.
I asked about the option for stem cell therapy but due to the heavy bone necrosis and wear it is not an option. The decision to replace is up to as long as I can live with the pain.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
sealark

Good luck Moose. I'll be starting my conquest for stem cells soon. Motrin helps me a lot so maybe I have a chance. Another thing to remember the money is in replacement not stems. . so ask a stem cell place. Ill take a dozen big needles vs. Surgery anyday.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
Red Tide

I think your days of super deep repetative diving are over. Those nitrogen bubbles do not pas through scar tissue very well and you will be prone to getting bent there. On the bright side I have a buddy that had both shoulders replaced about 4 years ago. He is now back to playing full court basketball. He has lost some range of motion but he is doing what he loves to do. It was a long slow road to recovery and very painful. Good luck and remember you can always transfer that hunter gatherer gene in to catching scallops.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #7
jstiver09

Spearfishing After Shoulder Replacement

I cant speak to what GR said above about increasing the odds of being bent, but sounds like a possibility and should be looked into.

Speaking directly to being able to load a gun, I think you should be able to...6 months on the early side, 12 conservatively. My most recent total shoulder was back to playing 18 holes of golf in 4 months. Every patient is different but the stronger you are going into it the better off you will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Good luck with it however you go,I'm not far behind. Rotators are both mostly scar,I have to use a butt extension to cock my gun. Necrosis is my biggest fear based on the exposures we have.
You'll still prolly outshoot all the young guys .
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:11 AM   #9
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
Good luck with it however you go,I'm not far behind. Rotators are both mostly scar,I have to use a butt extension to cock my gun. Necrosis is my biggest fear based on the exposures we have.
You'll still prolly outshoot all the young guys .
Tony, the "scaring" you may have can just be calcium deposits in the rotator cuff tendon. My right shoulder was as painful as my left which is may bad one. The doctor "drilled" the cuff on my right shoulder to give the deposits a way to leach out. This was a huge relief and I am now back to full, pain free use of my right arm.

I did discuss my diving habits with my ortho and basically he said there is nothing I can do to my left shoulder to hurt it any more than it is. The bone necrosis was not caused by any vascular restriction like my hip was but most likely a victim of me being a lineman for over 20 years using manual crimping presses. He sees a lot of linemen with the exact same injury, to the exact same shoulder on right handed men. He did say that my spearfishing may aggravate the shoulder due to the loading of my gun. I guess I need to make all of the shots count.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:38 AM   #10
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tide View Post
I think your days of super deep repetative diving are over. Those nitrogen bubbles do not pas through scar tissue very well and you will be prone to getting bent there. On the bright side I have a buddy that had both shoulders replaced about 4 years ago. He is now back to playing full court basketball. He has lost some range of motion but he is doing what he loves to do. It was a long slow road to recovery and very painful. Good luck and remember you can always transfer that hunter gatherer gene in to catching scallops.
That is what the surgeon said to me after my hip replacement ten years ago. I asked him if titanium could get saturated with nitrogen? He laughed and said "no, but the other one could end up the same way." Bottom line is I'm going to do what I love until I am no longer physically able. Deep diving is normally only once or twice a year as most of my trips don't get over 90'. Any scallops I will be harvesting will be cat paws on the top of some wreck deeper than I should be.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #11
sealark

I'm 73 many deep dives in Navy 320 ft HE02 plus thousands other deep dives on air. I now use 32% nitrox and limit dives to 90 ft. I now have both knees, both hipps, both shoulders with arthritus pains. I'm also gonna keep diving untill they find me belly up. Hell the only time I have no pain in joints is when I'm below the surface, most likely because I don't hear any bitching and complaining.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
Xp100

I have had surgery on both shoulders with the right one receiving an titanium implant. After rehab, I experienced no further discomfort or disability than prior to surgery.
One exercise I used to build back the ability to load a speargun is as follows: From the standing position, bend forward at the waist to 90 degrees and rest forehead on a padded support. Pull dumbbells from an extended arm position upward to the pectorals' with elbows extending laterally (i.e. away from the body).
Recovery will be eminent.

Last edited by Xp100; 05-03-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Xp100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #13
Marco

Good luck!

As they told you before, consider pneumatics. I have a bad wrist injury and can still spearfish because I switched to a Cyrano EVO HF. Don't try anything else. You won't regret.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #14
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Kenny,I hope it's easily operable. I've had the left repaired twice,the right once.Hanging wallpaper looked easy 30 years ago,didn't realize I'd be having my hands up in the air all day.We have had friends get double knee replacements and play tennis,golf and run a year later.I plan on diving till I am completely unable.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
Lamar English

I had my left shoulder replaced in 2002. My socket was fine, but the humeral head was totaled from necrosis. (I apparently had gotten bent some 10-12 years prior.) I put the surgery off as long as I could, but when it collapsed - I had to have some relief. My surgery went well. The months of ensuing physical therapy were incredibly painful, and results were slower than I was expecting: It took 3 months to be able to touch my left ear with my left index finger. Nine months after surgery I felt normal and had a full range of motion. I resumed diving and had no trouble cocking my band gun. It did take me a little while to fully "trust" the new joint, I didn't want it to come apart and have to go through all that again.

If you don't already have one, I highly recommend a comfortable recliner. You will probably be sleeping in a chair for a few months.

Good luck,

Lamar
Lamar English is offline   Reply With Quote