Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
Liveclean

Scoping NC

NC Gentlemen,

I have been watching you tube and am amazed at what you guys are scoring over there. My work is looking for me to relocate over that way, and my mind is opening to the idea after all that spearing video.
I have some choice on location pending schools for my boys.
It appears that there is Hot hunting with a boat in most locations? Wilmington? hatteras areas? Manteo?
Any input is appreciated. I would love to hook up with a hardcore dive crew that is die hard. It looks like some good teams of guys exist over there. I have way to much equipment for my own good and can hit depths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Liveclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
bleu
Official Sponsor

Re: Scoping NC

Hey man, I'm in Wilmington and we do a good bit in the area. honestly Hatteras is probably the best spearfishing on the entire east coast at least what parts of it I've seen. Just be ready for long runs and lots of wind. Im opening up a shop in Wilmington here shortly feel free to stop by any time. This is the last video I made be sure to watch the rest.
https://vimeo.com/201523739
bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
Liveclean

Sounds great, I am always good for dropping some cake in a local shop!! Even if I end up not moving out there, I will be trying to set up with a crew there as I will be there every other month for work regardless and will build in dive trip time. Can cover my share of gas and then some

Old 03-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
Liveclean

Wow that is some killer hunting, right with comparable to hunting in HI I have done! Stoked!

Old 03-03-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
hatterasfreedvr

I grew up on Hatteras Island, have lived in Manteo, and currently live in Nags Head. The Nags Head area would be my top choice for living on the Outer Banks. Some decent shore diving, fishing, and surfing here as well... Hatteras is a tough place to live but a wonderful place to visit and is a short drive from either Nags Head or Manteo. First Flight and Manteo are both good schools. PM me if you have any questions about the area.

Last edited by hatterasfreedvr; 03-03-2017 at 08:23 AM.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

The further S you go the better weather windows you have.Ideally where you can fish either side of Frying Pan.Hatteras and Oregon inlets are not fun to run in weather.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #7
funnybusiness

Bleu,
That picture quality and filming was unreal!! Well done sir. That just got me really amped for dive season. I hope to come up from Charleston and dive with ya'll this season. Cheers
funnybusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #8
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Hi there,

Anywhere from Wilmington to Oregon inlet is pretty much playground.... NC has some prime hunting grounds.... you got some word class wreck diving here, and coupled with the proximity of the Gulf Stream, which all create world class hunting ground.

I find the best season to be May-July and then mid Sept through late Nov.

Check out this:

Feel free to contact me with questions. I'm in North Carolina for another 3 months before moving to Florida...

Cheers.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
Liveclean

Thanks guys, again so helpful. My move is looking like it will likely be redirected towards Cali (another hunting oasis) at the moment, but it is still up in the air. Even if i do end up in Cali, we are opening a New Vision Wilderness therapy branch in NC in 2018 either way. I will have to be there about every 1/4 then to do training. I fly my guns with me everywhere I go and all my gear. I would fully intend on trying to jump in with some of you guys at the back end of my trips there. I'll buy all the gas needed, regardless of the quantity, this would be my contribution to joining a tight crew that has done their years of research. I usually just jam the fish fillets in a Walmart cooler, wrap it with Duct tape and fly them home to feed my family. I've hunted hoo's a lot, hunted groupers and am itching on tuna, and mahi, curious on cobia. I'll be in for what ever if you invite me! I hunt 80 feet, have a 100 Bleutec acid, and 125 Bleutec oceanborne, and have access to bigger guns if needed.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #10
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Ground is pretty variable here.

Inshore wrecks anywhere from 50ft to 120ft (well you also have 200ft wreck of you want/ can access them..). Visibility will be the biggest determining factor as well.

Guns: depends on viz, depth, targeted species but anywhere from 110cm to 150cm.

I use a 110cm Rob Allen roller, or 120cm double bands aimrite for wrecks and inshore and either a 140cm Rob Allen or 150cm kingvenom for blue water).

Best of luck !

Water temp: 77-82 summer months. Down to the mid 50s during the coolest months and inshore. Gulf Stream will be between 72F (winter) to 82 (summer).

Regards