Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
Sergio DaSilva

Question NC advice

I'm considering a vacation to NC for some bluewater spearfishing this summer. What month would you locals say is the best for a shot at pelagics? I'm thinking mid to late July.

Also, what would you recommend as far as diving spots. Not looking for any secret numbers, but was hoping someone could save me from wasting time on unproductive public numbers. From what I hear the Proteus and Tarpon can be good. Any other wrecks or deep ledges worth looking into?

Any advice on what I can expect that time of year as far as species would also be greatly appreciated.
Sergio DaSilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
WMELWAY7
MUST GO SPEARFISHING!!!

Re: NC advice

End of July will be the Hatteras Open Bluewater tournament. There will be lots of people going out on charters that you could possibly hook up with if you enter the tourny.
WMELWAY7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
eward4
Reef Ranger

What part of the coast are you going to? If you want to do some spearfishing get up with Tom Collins at www.spearitcharters.com. He's in the Topsail Beach area. It's not a bad drive from Morehead/Atlantic Beach or the Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach areas.
eward4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
Sergio DaSilva

I forgot to mention that we will have our own boat so will not be using any charter service, which is why we were looking for specific spots to try or at least spots to avoid.
Sergio DaSilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
HANGTIME NC

If you have your own boat, you should have your own bottomfinder. Not tying to be smart, but it depends on where you are going. If south of Lookout ledges tind to run N&S. Bottom allover, look for fish. If wrecks, buy a chart. Most wrecks are wellknown and welldove. Good hunting. By the way SPEARIT is most likely booked all weekends thru Oct. May have days during the weeks.
HANGTIME NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #6
kjflyfish
snorklin'

There are hundreds of wrecks to choose from off Hatteras - for pure bluewater, I'd check the sea surface temps and plan my location accordingly.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:12 AM   #7
daox13

ok i'm sure you all get a lot of this, but i am totally new to spearfishing.. never gone. i have read the post of the forums and i have talked to a few people on how to go about it. but here is the deal i'm heading to nc in the week of aug 28-sept 7 i will be staying around the kill devil hills area. i don't know any locations on the nc coast to try out spearfishing. i would love to find an area that is close to the beach (within swimming distance) and try it out there. i will be free diving and will only be using a hand spear. so i guess what i am asking and saying is, does anyone have any recomendations for a newbi to go to, and any suggestions on styles of fishing?? thanx a lot
daox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #8
kjflyfish
snorklin'

daox, that's a tough one - the beach dives aren't the best newby spots - longshore current, rips, poor vis, and the occasional shark. Vis is usually the limiting factor and you can bet it will be crap 95% of the time.

When I was in NC, I had one good OBX shore dive in a year and a half of trying and that was at the Boiler wreck, which I kayaked to. I would highly recommend having a buddy and a kayak if you try one of the beach wrecks. 2nd St is one close by to your accomodation. Be careful - I had a really close call launching my kayak there in way-too-rough conditions. After making it past the breakers, I quickly decided I needed to come back in and was lucky to get my kayak and paddle back to the beach - and only a little bit bloody.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
NCfishboy

Vis that week is going to totally depend on tropical conditions (big storms offshore) Usually by the middle to late august we start to get swells from storms and when they show up the water can get muddy for a couple of weeks. But if there are no storms and the wind is light NE then there can be some decent diving around. Usually that time of year I will actually just swim right along shore maybe 3-6' of water and look for seamullet pompano (florida) and flounder. If the weather is nice and I am off work and it works out I might be able to show you one of the not so secret wrecks. I went this morning and it was ok, 3' vis on the surface and about 8' on the bottom, made finding the wreck a challange but at least you couldn't see any sharks.
NCfishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:26 AM   #10
daox13

haha yay, gotta love the shark warnings. well i thought about just swimming out off the coast with a friend of mine( who has never gone before). and i may try the boiler wreck if the weather is good.
any other recomendations of how to freedive correctly and what one should do to make sure safety is number one?
daox13 is offline   Reply With Quote