Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Lee Slikkers

Any Spearo's in Michigan?

Just looking to see if there are any cold water spearo's here in Michigan?

A Newb here just getting into the sport...

Lee
Lee Slikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
trident-stg
Town Idiot

Re: Any Spearo's in Michigan?

Yo yo yo - I'm actually in Illinois but travel around a bit. But the last time i looked or remember spearguns are hianous instruments of the devil and will get you arrested orvat least a big fine, cant remember if it was just for the painted rocks area or the whole state...

Let me know...
Old 03-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Lee Slikkers

Thanks for the reply! They actually relaxed the spear regs quite a bit this year compared to what was allowed last year.

Here is a link for the new 2012 regs, p. 9 has all the bow & spear fishing regs.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn...2_377884_7.pdf

I am a total greenhorn and just got in the water today to test out my new 5mm wetsuit, weights (need more) fins and gun. Learned a few things:

5mm was PLENTY warm even in the 47 degree water
Need a better buckle on my belt, kept slipping and lost 2 belt weights in the silt
I am fat and really out of shape
Lee Slikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

I'm not sure where you are in Michigan, but I'm on the shores of Lake St Clair, and I am planning on getting out after some rough fish as soon as my weight belt gets back downstate. (It followed my buddy home last fall).

I've got a friend in the area (again, SE michigan), who's also interested in going out this year, and has all the gear to do so. If you're in the area, let me know.

Honestly, what'd really be nice is to know someone who lives or works ON the lake, who could let us know when the water is clear (from the dock anyway). At the moment, I'm assuming the clarity is gonna be related to the wind. The lake is so shallow, I'm assuming any chop is gonna throw silt up all over the place.

Having said all that, we are both newbies as well. The places I'm looking forward to trying are:

Lake St Clair - since it's our backyard, so to speak
Kent Lake - I've heard good things about vis in this lake, so we'll take a stab at it.
Lake Huron/Lake Michigan - I was kayaking in a bay near mackinac last october, and the water is crystal clear. It'll be fun to root around in looking for fish. It's just a little bit of a commitment to get up there.

If you have any leads for good waters to hunt, let us know!

Good luck!
Mike
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Gilly44

I am from Muskegon and there are a few diehard spearos here. We hunt mostly Lake Michigan around the pier heads of Muskegon, Geand Haven, Pentwater and Ludington. Carp, Suckers, Cats, Sheephead, Shad, all are plentiful. I also seen large mouth, small mouth, pike, walleye and trout.

Anytime any fellow spearos are on the westshore line hit me up and I'll show you the spots!
Gilly44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Hank49

I used to vacation in Michigan every summer as a kid. We went up near Traverse City and stayed on Crystal Lake most of the time.
I remember the whole sequence of events with the sea lamprey wiping out the lake trout, then the aywives (soelling?) were introduced to eat those, which ended up 1 foot deep on the beaches....then, the coho salmon were introduced. I remember seeing a hatchery on the Betsy River. Mind you, this was like....45 years ago.
Are you allowed to spear cohos there?
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Gilly44

No. It sucks but sport fish are off the menu as far as spearing goes. I have a weekend trip scheduled to hit up the dam just north of Crystal lake next weekend! Small world....

I'm hoping to spear some huge carp and channel cats up there.....I seen a 28lb carp caught last summer so hopefully I can nail a 30+lber! Set that record.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

What dam are you talking about, North of Crystal? Is the vis good?

I've been dinkin' around in Lk st clair, but the vis has been just awful recently. Yesterday the wind was also making it a real chore to get anywhere in a kayak. I saw the back half of something big moving away from me. It looked like it could have been a pike... It had alot of spots like a gar, it just looked too fat. It had no interest in waiting for me to ID it.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Hank49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly44 View Post
No. It sucks but sport fish are off the menu as far as spearing goes. I have a weekend trip scheduled to hit up the dam just north of Crystal lake next weekend! Small world....

I'm hoping to spear some huge carp and channel cats up there.....I seen a 28lb carp caught last summer so hopefully I can nail a 30+lber! Set that record.
It is a small world. My sister and family are there right now, at Chimney Corners resort. And it's called Crystal for a good reason. Unreal vis. Like the reef here. Good luck.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

That large fish could have been a Musky, some times the tiger stripes look more like spots.
Cheers,K.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Gilly44

Thanks! Anyone else in Michigan?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Gilly44

22lb sheephead (freshwater drum). I seen a few 30+ (guessing) carp down there too. Didnt get any shots on them but I'm gonna get one and put it into the world record thread on here!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #13
searcher415

I don't frequent the board but im just south of Kalamazoo in Vicksburg, MI on Indian lake. There are a few monster carp out here. This one was 3'3" i'd guess weight was 25-30 lbs. This season i've shot one bigger but it got off before i could pull it in. My buddy (in the blue shorts) shot one around the same size. Looking at getting a 5mm mako so i can spear into the fall. Ever since the 4th the visibility hasnt been the greatest. Considering making the trip to south haven soon to try my luck around the pier. How's grand haven for shooting? I'd consider coming up there if there was a few people going.

searcher415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #14
searcher415

Smaller one was what I landed that day.
searcher415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
Gilly44

Never been to south haven. In Grand Haven the north pier is made of formed steel ribbing and cement, Not good fishing due to nowhere for the fish to hide or feed. The south pier is the limestone that affords great fishing but the guys using rod/reels fill the pier and are not very nice to deal with...trust me. I usally hit the south/north piers in muskegon. Visiblity hasnt been great these past weeks with the rain but today was great, easy 20 foot visibilty. Seen a ton a small mouth and large mouth bass. walleye, small suckers and a few large sheephead. I speared 3 large carp....biggest was prob about 20-22lbs the other 2 were arounf 15lbs. Good day but the water was cold!

We will have to make a plan sometime and go hit up a pier. let me know...