Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Upper Gulfcoast

Upper Gulfcoast This is the area for spearfishermen in Panama City, Destin/Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Alabama, Miss., and Louisiana.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
ocddeerhunter

anyone taken the freediving class ?

Been wanting to freedive more than scuba when spearing but needed to convince my dive buddys (his boat)to try it more ,so I started recording "speargun hunter" off outdoor channal ( dive buddy dosen't have that channel) it worked ,planning on signning up for the july or aug class (tied up during june class).
If anyone local has taken class, post here on how you liked it .thanks
ocddeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
acardet

Re: anyone taken the freediving class ?

My wife and I took the Level One FII class this past weekend in Panama City Beach with Joe Dagostino and it was great for both of us.Joe is an excellent freediver and teacher.He really helped my wife with her surface entry and helped improve my technique.He is enthusiastic and really knows his stuff.It was well worth the time and money.Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Fred Cardet

Last edited by acardet; 05-23-2012 at 05:55 AM. Reason: spelling
acardet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
riley's hump

Took the Performance Freediving International intermediate class in Key West a few years ago and so good went back last year to Ft Lauderdale for refresher. Breathup tips gave my wife and me both over 5 :30 min static first day. But main thing was safety and recovery instruction
riley's hump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

I too highly recommend Joe D'Agostino's FII courses. The guy is stellar!

Good luck!

Peace, Errol
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
H2O ADDICTION
I care about YOU

My advice -

I've been freediving and spearfishing for years -

I took the level one class LAST WEEKEND in Jupiter to see what it was all about - Admittedly for me the hardest part was trying to choreograph some of the things they were showing us - Due to years of doing some of the essential things the wrong way. Almost everyone was over-weighted as well when they checked our buoyancy - I was by two pounds. But now I know some new things and a better way. My buddies and I who took the class will put it to practice and dive as often as possible together to keep the dive reflex strong - And make the whole dive sequence and safety methodical, like a habit - consistent each time.

I've significantly bested the 3 minutes from the class and in just a few days later am getting 4 minute dry statics! I'm sure with a buddy I can hunt a tad longer at a bit beyond the 69 feet I got with an arm swoop in the class! Even though I could hit that depth and beyond before - I'm gonna be doing it MUCH SAFER now no doubt and picked up alot of good tips in several areas And I feel good about being able to properly recover and rescue my buddy now in the event of a SWB. The class gives you the tools for safe and proper apnea training. You can't go wrong.

I think pretty close to almost everyone in the class got the max on depth and breath hold. Most of us both got to pull down (free immersion) and fin down to the max depth of 66 feet several times. (I may have found another addiction in the "free immersion" discipline!) I feel we were a VERY lucky group because we had like 5 or 6 awesome instructors hanging around both days that were from all over Florida!

Well worth it - Take my word and learn from the pros the "right way" before you have to consciously break bad habits or change form to be more efficient - I'm saving for a level II and then?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0054.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	172518   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0045.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	172519   Click image for larger version

Name:	535071_3974064468324_1181924808_3866897_620634161_n.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	172520  

Last edited by H2O ADDICTION; 05-23-2012 at 10:19 AM.
H2O ADDICTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
wide_open

Had a great experience with Joe D'Agustino's FII Level 1 course in Destin. He is a class act--professional, focused, and upbeat throughout the course. He did a great job of applying the concepts to spearing. He loves what he does, and he encouraged us to (safely) push our limits. We all got new personal bests for both time and depth.

Bottom line: I would recommend it
wide_open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
DagFish

Thanks for the kind words wide open. If you are in town tomorrow I have a spot on my boat for you! Send me a PM.
DagFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
wide_open

Thanks, PM sent
wide_open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
frankystanki

just signed up for a class at the end of june for free diving and just moved to st petersburg fl. Does anyone know any good dive groups to meet up with? Thanks
frankystanki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
mattt

I took the immersion freediving level 1 course a few months ago out of Ft. lauderdale. I did not realize how much stuff I was doing wrong before it. From being over weighted to proper head placement. The class covers just about everything and is built around saftey which is and should be the most important thing while freediving. It helped me a lot and I would highly recomend it.
mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
frankystanki

Great Thanks, Yea Im excited about the class.
frankystanki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
PartyBoy
Aqua Aces

I just signed up for the July 14-15th class. I can't wait!

PartyBoy + booze = mayhem
PartyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
Flip

I'm signed up for Errol's (flamencoguru) June FII L1 class. Convinced three dive buddies to sign up with me so we're all on the same page with skills progress and safety for future dives.

Stoked to take the class!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

That's awesome guys! I'm glad to see everyone is taking their diving seriously. You're going to have an amazing experience!
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
el_cucuy

Dude,

Gotta take the class. Joe is awesome super knowledge able and knows his stuff. I'm glad I took it here and with him because everything he thought has helped me become a better free diver. You will learn so much about your self and most of all you will learn to be safe!!! Everyone enjoys to dive with safe knowledge able divers. Take the course you won't regret it. Joe is an awesome dude.
el_cucuy is offline   Reply With Quote