Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
fishpicker

Jbl Elite woody

I’ve got to admit I’ve never been a fan of JBL guns since I started spearfishing at ten years old. That being said I’ve been looking for a short gun to use when the visibility is less than five feet and the JBL 29 inch woody elite looks really cool and is half the price of a riffe of the same size. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them and can give me any feedback?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:48 PM   #2
Ren

Re: Jbl Elite woody

While I haven't used one, I've picked it up and inspected them before and have built guns w/ similar spec. The M8 trigger is solid and they use them on their bigger guns as well.

You can't really go wrong at $260-270 for a wooden gun most if not all components made in Oceanside, CA.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpicker View Post
I’ve got to admit I’ve never been a fan of JBL guns since I started spearfishing at ten years old. That being said I’ve been looking for a short gun to use when the visibility is less than five feet and the JBL 29 inch woody elite looks really cool and is half the price of a riffe of the same size. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them and can give me any feedback?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am a diehard fan of the JBL “Woodie” Elite Series guns. I own one in each size. I wouldn’t go with the smallest of their gun though. You will find that the larger gun (I believe its a 48” gun) is just as effective for reefs and in low visibility. The shaft is stout and with one band, it will deliver enough power to take most fish. Two bands would be needed for longer shots and on Sheephead. I have slammed the rock directly and have yet to see a bent shaft. Just re-sharpen the shaft and its ready again.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
popgun pete

Five feet viz you could go up a size to the 36" inch gun as that is a pretty general purpose size for that type of spearfishing. The JBL with its strong M8 mechanism is a good gun.

Last edited by popgun pete; 08-26-2019 at 03:59 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
fishpicker

thanks for the responses guys. I should have actually said for when the vis is two feet or less. I have a 42in wong for when its decent and a 110 railgun for when its really good. I decided to go with a 60cm mako to save a little money.
fishpicker is offline   Reply With Quote