Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #16
sealark
Registered User
 
sealark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pensacola Fl
Posts: 485
Re: Fire on the Conception

Did the boat have hp compressors and fill nitrox? Pure oxygen could have been a contributing factor to the massive fire. Just a thaught to consider.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
sealark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #17
joshrau
Registered User
 
joshrau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 34
Posts: 684
Send a message via AIM to joshrau
Re: Fire on the Conception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntersmoon View Post
At the top of the link it states “uninspected vessels”
Im assuming this charter boat was required to follow USCG inspection rules.
Personally, propane on any size boat is a recipe for disaster just by the nature and flammability of the gas.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...I-subchapT.pdf

I think that super long document has the same language for passenger vessels under 100 tons. Pages like 177 and 187 or so.


I definitely agree propane comes with risks. Easy mistakes can result in death to everybody aboard.
joshrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #18
Bob Ballew
Registered User
 
Bob Ballew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 6,190
Re: Fire on the Conception

...As of this post, 9 bodies remain to be recovered...the boat sank to the bottom upside down in 65' and once it is stabilized with braces, divers will go in to recover more bodies that are visible inside the wreckage. Lawsuits will fly for years to come..especially over the issue of a working fire suppression system and alarms.
...When I go on any boat, my dive bag contains a combo manual/Co2 inflatable life jacket with a whistle on a cord attached and a small clip-on strobe light ($17 at West Marine). Also, a flashlight and a handheld floatable vhf radio. With those, I have a fighting chance if a midnight abandon ship is necessary...
...On my boat, a life jacket is always stored on the bottom end of each bunk whether daylight or dark with extras in the cabin. One ABC type fire estinguisher is strapped on the seat post under the drivers seat and another is on the floor inside the bunk area.
...The Plan: On all boats, my inflatable jacket stays on my bunk at night, ready to grab and run/swim. I will wait until I am on deck or overboard to put it on...Putting a life jacket on inside the boat could be a death sentence if the boat rolls and the flotation traps you against the floor boards or wall, as it is going down...
...It seems to take a tragedy to remind us that an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 09-03-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #19
Pfish
Registered User
 
Pfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 692
Re: Fire on the Conception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
...As of this post, 9 bodies remain to be recovered...the boat sank to the bottom upside down in 65' and once it is stabilized with braces, divers will go in to recover more bodies that are visible inside the wreckage. Lawsuits will fly for years to come..especially over the issue of a working fire suppression system and alarms.
...When I go on any boat, my dive bag contains a combo manual/Co2 inflatable life jacket with a whistle on a cord attached and a small clip-on strobe light ($17 at West Marine). Also, a flashlight and a handheld floatable vhf radio. With those, I have a fighting chance if a midnight abandon ship is necessary...
...On my boat, a life jacket is always stored on the bottom end of each bunk whether daylight or dark with extras in the cabin. One ABC type fire estinguisher is strapped on the seat post under the drivers seat and another is on the floor inside the bunk area.
...The Plan: On all boats, my inflatable jacket stays on my bunk at night, ready to grab and run/swim. I will wait until I am on deck or overboard to put it on...Putting a life jacket on inside the boat could be a death sentence if the boat rolls and the flotation traps you against the floor boards or wall, as it is going down...
...It seems to take a tragedy to remind us that an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure....
You do all that when anchored at Avalon Harbor?
__________________
He who thinks only of number one must remember this number is next to nothing.
Pfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #20
Bob Ballew
Registered User
 
Bob Ballew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 6,190
Re: Fire on the Conception

..Yes, even when "moored" at Avalon Harbor.... I repeat: "An ounce of …." I will let you finish the quote...ref: the below info on propane hoses...I should have been more specific and separated fuel hoses from propane hoses insofar as clamping suggestions. My clamping info was directed at gas fuel lines between engines and fuel tanks, as well as, water hose runs..Generally, propane hoses come pre-assembled with compression fittings, not screw type clamps. But, like gas and diesel fuel lines, they deteriorate with time and exposure and should be replaced...I disconnect my propane tank from the Coleman stove after each use...
...You cannot over prepare for emergencies...imagine what it would be like if you were swimming in between Cortez Bank and SCI....lots of wide ocean to search for your location... a strobe light can be seen for up to 5 miles away and a whistle can help you locate your shipmates in the dark...Once, two miles off Avalon, a 70' blue whale surfaced in front of my boat...all that saved us was a fast wheel turn (throwing the napping Good Wife off the couch onto the floor with some resulting curses) and the fact that the whale was swimming toward Avalon (luck of the draw)...I missed his tail by 10 feet...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 09-04-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:46 PM   #21
PigStikr
Stupendous User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 486
Re: Fire on the Conception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
...Updated info shows it to be a massive propane explosion that blew the galley up, trapping the divers below and so intense, the crew members in the forward uptop area could only jump off into the water...
Haven't been able to find any reference to a propane fire, but it would fit with what we know so far. Propane is heavier than air and sinks, thus requires flammable gas detectors within a few inches of the bottom of low-lying areas. I saw some kind of smoke detector in good condition on the ceiling of the berth area posted by someone from a few weeks ago, so presumably they had the required propane sensors. There were comments from someone I believe on the Great Escape that there were many explosions in the fire, and I am guessing that would be dive tanks weakened by the heat after the initial problem. From my perspective there is a lot of conjecture, and a lot of comments below the news stories placing blame are just hurtful and uncalled for until the investigation is complete.
I don't think a CO2 detector as mentioned by one of the posters above is going to help much. A CO (carbon monoxide) detector would help to prevent asphyxiation from a poorly functioning/poorly vented engine or stove, but wouldn't detect a buildup of propane.
As far as maintenance on propane hoses, IMHO, it is better to just replace the entire hose including certified factory or shop crimped connectors. I would be very surprised if screw hose clamps were legal per code.
Thoughts and prayers for the crew, family and friends.
__________________
PigStikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #22
Lompoc Local
Errin
 
Lompoc Local's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Age: 45
Posts: 3,459
Re: Fire on the Conception

Interview with the Captain. Hopefully those of you talking about propane can rest a little easier now...

https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west...CWYgDX5Fdtvfc#
__________________
I love Slugs

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:20 PM   #23
Behslayer
Registered User
 
Behslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Big Island
Posts: 4,959
Re: Fire on the Conception

Thanks Errin. One of my dive partners here worked on that boat for years and he had told me the same, and added that the Captain was a known Hardass for Safety.

Propane made sense.. because it could explain how quickly things happened, though often a Propane Explosion extinguishes a fire.

Something functioned as an accelerant here. I figure there was a Heap of Camera Gear. Maybe some kind of Cleaning fluid. At this point it's conjecture.

What a Terrible tragedy. So many people affected. Condolences to all of the Families, Friends, Crew, Firefighters, Coast Guard involved in this disaster.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #24
AJP
Reluctant User
 
AJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 721
Re: Fire on the Conception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
...Updated info shows it to be a massive propane explosion that blew the galley up...
This just goes to show how much you are talking out your ass on this forum Bob. You said this like it was gospel. These boats use electricity for cooking, and don't have propane on them. You clearly do not know what you're talking about in this case. Why don't you refrain from spreading more hapless rumors? Please, and thanks.
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #25
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB
 
Alashaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 2,091
Re: Fire on the Conception

Just heard on the radio that they are speculating a defective exploding lithium battery or cell phone charger may have been the ignition source...
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #26
Bob Ballew
Registered User
 
Bob Ballew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 6,190
Re: Fire on the Conception

Another poster with a bug up his ass when I post...Got most of it correct and tried to make some suggestions for the newer guys looking at boats or learning to run one...The propane info was from a statement by a Coast Guardsman initially who stated only propane made sense due to the rapid flashup of flames and explosions...Should have listed him as the source but, I try to make things brief...Lots of info changed as the days wore on...and, there are still boats that use propane...feel free to correct me but, you can kma as far as the dumbass insults....Some of you jerks need to get a life...……………………..channel 16 clear.....p.s. Personally, I think all of us cranky old bastards should be banned from the internet...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 09-05-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:56 AM   #27
North Star
Max
 
North Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Age: 64
Posts: 5,972
Re: Fire on the Conception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Another poster with a bug up his ass when I post...Got most of it correct and tried to make some suggestions for the newer guys looking at boats or learning to run one...The propane info was from a statement by a Coast Guardsman initially who stated only propane made sense due to the rapid flashup of flames and explosions...Should have listed him as the source but, I try to make things brief...Lots of info changed as the days wore on...and, there are still boats that use propane...feel free to correct me but, you can kma as far as the dumbass insults....Some of you jerks need to get a life...……………………..channel 16 clear.....p.s. Personally, I think all of us cranky old bastards should be banned from the internet...
Bob, ignore the jerks. You have posted more helpful information on this forum over the years than all the jerks put together. Carry on.
__________________
nec timor nec temeritas (neither fear nor foolhardiness.)
North Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #28
StukNotAnchored
Registered User
 
StukNotAnchored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ocean City, NJ & Islamorada, Fl
Posts: 142
Re: Fire on the Conception

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
Bob, ignore the jerks. You have posted more helpful information on this forum over the years than all the jerks put together. Carry on.
This.
__________________
You can't stop stupid; you have to work really hard just to contain it.
StukNotAnchored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #29
malibujohn
Registered User
 
malibujohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,130
Re: Fire on the Conception

I am seething inside right now! Just read that the owner filed papers with the court to limit any legal payouts to the families to zilch!
I'm gonna say what ive felt from the very moment I heard about this. Someone in that crew fcked up big time and should be prosecuted! How was there nobody on watch on that boat that would have seen smoke, or smelled something burning. Its the fcking law that there is to be a roving watchman on board! I just don't fcking get it!! And the fact that not one of those guys had ANY sort of burns shows they just didn't try, not one bit. They let 34 people die without trying to save them!! Ya, fck those guys and the heartless bastard who owns the boat-rot in hell!!

Last edited by malibujohn; 09-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #30
Pfish
Registered User
 
Pfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 692
Re: Fire on the Conception

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibujohn View Post
I am seething inside right now! Just read that the owner filed papers with the court to limit any legal payouts to the families to zilch!
I'm gonna say what ive felt from the very moment I heard about this. Someone in that crew fcked up big time and should be prosecuted! How was there nobody on watch on that boat that would have seen smoke, or smelled something burning. Its the fcking law that there is to be a roving watchman on board! I just don't fcking get it!! And the fact that not one of those guys had ANY sort of burns shows they just didn't try, not one bit. They let 34 people die without trying to save them!! Ya, fck those guys and the heartless bastard who owns the boat-rot in hell!!
Simple explanation: Nothing has happened in the past, nothing bad will happen in the future. It's funny, I have owned a boat for the last 29 years. I always feel that when I go out on the ocean, I have something to learn that day, or something is going to be different. I am rarely disappointed. As far as ditching responsibility as the owner of the boat, I don't see that happening. The company will lose its business. The owner will need to find another job. Tragic loss of life. Shit happens.....
__________________
He who thinks only of number one must remember this number is next to nothing.
Pfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com