Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2005 Tournament Archives > Hell Divers 2005 plus earlier and later years

Old 05-10-2005, 10:33 PM   #1
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

This could be my last post.

I hope the hell not, I won't let them drag me to the depths, but this weekend I am going out to mess with big dangerous game. Big silver fish weighing over 150lbs., hopefully breaking the La state spearfishing record. We will have an underwater video photographer capturing all the action, Toby Armstrong, an old personal freind of mine videoing us as we go after natures fury, Tarpon. All non-spearfishermen need not watch. I'll let you people know the results after this weekend.

Rok out

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/

Last edited by Louis Rossignol; 05-12-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:23 AM   #2
Steel Shootin'

Re: This could be my last post.

That is some ballsy stuff, man. Talk about a strong fish. I would not personally want to be holding a gun teatherd to a tarpon, especially around an oil rig. Best of luck....be safe. I'll look forward to hearing about this one.
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:40 AM   #3
WreckDiver
Memeber What?

Man those thing are monsters

Last edited by WreckDiver; 09-24-2008 at 08:32 PM.
WreckDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:29 AM   #4
Mobile Diver

I saw some giants at Main Pass 22 Apr. Awesome sight. Good luck.
305 849 0866
Mobile Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Sounds like you will need a riding rig! Maybe tie it off to the rig before you shoot?

Got to agree with Mobile Diver on Main Pass 22. It was wall to wall 100-200# tarpon stacked up in 30 feet completely unafraid.
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
chuam
Marcus Chua

Just wondering but are tarpon good to eat? I love spearing fish but only ones I can eat. This is not meant to be a slam or a flame in any way, I'm just curious.
chuam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:30 PM   #7
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuam
Just wondering but are tarpon good to eat? I love spearing fish but only ones I can eat. This is not meant to be a slam or a flame in any way, I'm just curious.
I think most people consider them inedible. I have heard of a tribe of Indians in a primitive area of the Brazilian coast who consider them a delicacy, and when I caught one at the Rio Colorado Lodge in Costa Rica, I wanted to release it but the guide insisted on keeping it for the village.

But I doubt you will find many Americans eating them. My father was a tarpon guide in the days when they brought them in and hung them up to attract charter business, and we always towed them out and cut them loose the next day. I am sure that there was not a single instance of anyone asking him for the fish.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:52 PM   #8
drsmileybee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lets see...... Bill McIntyre vs. Louis Rossignol..

Bill you might not want to start anything with this guy, His reputation speaks for itself over here in the Gulf. Just some diver to diver advice.

Bloodworks
<>< Custom Spearguns <><
drsmileybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #9
capteider
crab head

my wife shot a 35 lb pound tarpon this winter in Belize. We were poking around ther reef after snapper when a school swam up the channel. she shot it with he 75cm on a float line. anyway, to make a long story short. it kicked her ass. Leaped out of the water , wrapped the line all around her ,and generally refused to go peacefully. every time it seemed to expire it would have another crazy run My point, I would think twice before sticking a big one. still more power to you if you want to shoot one. if your geared up right it should be a blast. my advice,if your sure it's dead shoot it one more time.
P.s. We BBQ it with some local friends it wasn't that good. Dry and really fishy tasting with lots of bones to choke on.
capteider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #10
chasintail
Hell Diver

Good luck Louis.I am going to shoot one for the rodeo freediving (if i can find them).Let me know where the sweet spot is.
chasintail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:47 PM   #11
chuam
Marcus Chua

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmileybee

Bill you might not want to start anything with this guy, His reputation speaks for itself over here in the Gulf. Just some diver to diver advice.
UUMMMMM, no where in Bills post did I see him going after Louis. He was just answering a question I posted. It did seem like he had good information in it.

Sometimes people need to lighten up on Bill and not jump on him for everything..........

That being said if its being eaten cool. I just can't see the point of shooting a fish to kill it and not eat it. Seems like a waste to me.

Marcus
chuam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #12
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmileybee

OK, God forbid I should start something with a Gulf icon, and just in case I should ever wish to do so, I am glad to have been warned.

But wtf made you think I had started something with him or wanted to start something with him? Someone asked if tarpon were good to eat, and I answered with my opinion. I doubt my opinion is out of the mainstream of American taste. I have never seen tarpon on a menu. Have you? Have you eaten tarpon? Do you like them? Does Lou like to eat them? If so, you and Lou can eat high on the hog with little competition for them.

If you have eaten tarpon and disagree with me, please say so. And please, everyone else on the board, particularly those who have live around the Gulf and have ever even seen one, please let me know if you like to eat them. I won't be insulted. People in Hawaii, for instance, like parrot fish, but I don't, but so far none of them have offered to duke it out with me over the question of our differing tastes, and I have not been accused of "trying to start something" with Hawaiian divers who eat parrot fish. But then maybe the Hawaiian guys aren't hypersensitive about what I like to eat, and are willing to let me have my tastes and let them have their's.

Please give us your recipes for tarpon. And please get the chip off your shoulder and permit people to express their likes and dislikes in fish

If it somehow makes you feel better, here are photos of me with tarpon that I didn't eat, taken when I was 15 years old. They were killed, dead as a doornail, and then taken out and cut loose the next day. I didn't eat them. I hope that's OK with you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	169tarpon.jpg
Views:	1314
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	17178   Click image for larger version

Name:	tarponsi.jpg
Views:	1326
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	17179  

Last edited by Bill McIntyre; 05-12-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:51 PM   #13
deepstops
Not a user but registered

Send a message via AIM to deepstops Send a message via Yahoo to deepstops

I've heard tarpon are netted in Central America for making cat food and fertilizer. Nuf said......

Brian
Weston, FL
http://www.geocities.com/deepstops
deepstops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #14
capteider
crab head

being new to the spearbord community I would like to ask a question about the theme of "starting something" in the posts of this thread. So in the future if i ever need to "start something" with some body over something. (this something being aspect of the starting and not the "something" which would be started ) How exactly is this done?? Is it purely "mano y mano" say spearguns at dawn or a battle of words like a presidential debate or is it more a battle of lore like John Henery vs. the steam drill??
also if someone should "startsomething" with me, even if it's a misunderstanding , would i be considered "yellow" if i backed down or refused a challange. This is important i don't want to be branded a coward.
capteider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:34 PM   #15
drsmileybee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by capteider
being new to the spearbord community I would like to ask a question about the theme of "starting something" in the posts of this thread. So in the future if i ever need to "start something" with some body over something. (this something being aspect of the starting and not the "something" which would be started ) How exactly is this done?? Is it purely "mano y mano" say spearguns at dawn or a battle of words like a presidential debate or is it more a battle of lore like John Henery vs. the steam drill??
also if someone should "startsomething" with me, even if it's a misunderstanding , would i be considered "yellow" if i backed down or refused a challange. This is important i don't want to be branded a coward.
I will PM you and explain.

Bloodworks
<>< Custom Spearguns <><
drsmileybee is offline   Reply With Quote