Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

View Poll Results: Shark encounters AS A DIVER
No never 4 17.39%
1 - 2 7 30.43%
3 - 4 3 13.04%
5+ 9 39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #61
kwyoungspear

Re: Shark attack report by DIVERS in Tampa bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Totally confused...don't care for mozzarella sticks. I'll take a guess though, Friday's, Chili's, Hard Rock cafe? None of which I care to eat at...the last one not SO bad.
Pity the fool who doesn't like mozzarella sticks. I know it's just deep fried cheese but holy shit I love em.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #62
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Boonfield View Post
I don't understand what the purpose of creating a thread like this just to troll would be. I am not saying he is a troll, I just don't understand what creating a thread that asks if you see sharks in the bay would be trolling for? Like what would his objective be and how on earth does this relate to his political or economic views?
You obviously don't understand how the deep state works. This guy is definitely Zionist/CIA/ANTIFA with a pinch of ISIS
Old 10-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #63
rowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
Pity the fool who doesn't like mozzarella sticks. I know it's just deep fried cheese but holy shit I love em.
I love putting mozzarella sticks down my mouth sucking the breadcrumbs off them until the white cheese cums out shit **** sorry for making the thread gay agian...
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #64
Megabeast

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1508966489381.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	235809
Old 10-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #65
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabeast View Post
ROFL.

Seriously, if this thread doesn't die I'm read to lather myself up with steak sauce and find a shark and allow him to deep-throat my entire body.

Damnit, now I went there!
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #66
Mango Tango

I actually liked the premise of this thread until Marcus and the OP got petty. I started spearfishing tampa bay one year ago and I can relate to having trouble getting friends to join in because they are all terrified of sharks in the bay. I haven't even tried diving since March since I know the viz sucks and I honestly don't feel comfortable diving that dirty water when I know the sharks are around.

Marcus- I don't know or care about your beef with ro3owow or whatever, but I want to let you know it is possible and legal to spearfish the south side of the skyway from shore. I use my paddleboard to get out (it's a fairly long paddle IMO) but I have seens TONS of guys spearfishing out there on foot and swimming. One guy was walking back along the seawall and I paddled up and talked to him. He didn't even have fins. He just jumps in the water and lets it drift him out all the way to the last place spot on the bridge he can climb out and walk back. Rinse and repeat.

The first day I checked out that area I saw at least 5 seperate dive flags, some with multiple people hanging out and diving the jetties and rocks along the bridge.

The first bridge after the rest stop that the OP was talking about is always used by hook and line fisherman and I haven't seen anyone spearfish there (i would if there were no fisherman present), but I have seen the spearfisherman swim across that small bridge to get to the other side and spear the seawall and jetties.

As far as I'm aware no fishing is allowed from the skyway itself therefore you are allowed to spearfish it. The fishing piers and small bridge used for fishing are off limits.

OP, I've speared that area a few times (usually high tide lol) but haven't done really well and fortunately have not seen any sharks... Well the first time I dove by the barge anchored off the south jetties I thought I saw a shark tail swim away into the murk but maybe imagined it. As you probably know it's a crowded area between spearfisherman and boat fisherman so limited real estate to spear. The tides always strong and it's a pretty long paddle by my lazy standards. I much prefer the east side of the howard franklin seawall leading up to the "bridge" part. Way way less tide, less people and we get nice sheepshead, some snapper and even a big flounder there. Not glamous fishing but a nice way to get out without a boat.

I'm getting a boat in the next couple weeks and will be able to spearfish a lot more often now that I won't have to worry about paddling through the wind and tides, so hopefully after the winter season I can come back and report that I still have not seen a shark while diving inside tampa bay.
Mango Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #67
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

You didn't read everything clearly. But, whatever. This gay thread needs to die.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #68
rowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango Tango View Post
OP, I've speared that area a few times (usually high tide lol) but haven't done really well and fortunately have not seen any sharks... Well the first time I dove by the barge anchored off the south jetties I thought I saw a shark tail swim away into the murk but maybe imagined it. As you probably know it's a crowded area between spearfisherman and boat fisherman so limited real estate to spear. The tides always strong and it's a pretty long paddle by my lazy standards. I much prefer the east side of the howard franklin seawall leading up to the "bridge" part. Way way less tide, less people and we get nice sheepshead, some snapper and even a big flounder there. Not glamous fishing but a nice way to get out without a boat.

I'm getting a boat in the next couple weeks and will be able to spearfish a lot more often now that I won't have to worry about paddling through the wind and tides, so hopefully after the winter season I can come back and report that I still have not seen a shark while diving inside tampa bay.
Have you every tried low tide? For some reason its WAY better at low tide for the south side of skyway. I know it seems ridiculous but thats what I experienced, although at the same time I dont have the opportunity to conduct many tests as I live 1.5 hours away, so I may be wrong. What is your experience on vis? What conditions allow for the best vis (tide, tidal coefficient, weather, wind, storms, time of year, etc). I'm trying to collect as much data as I can as not that many people on these forums dive the bridges.

As for the howlin/gandy bridge, I attempted to go out there a few times but it was always bad vis on both low and high. I saw youtube videos of great vis and huge black drums out there but never was lucky with the vis. So agian what would you say gives the best vis for that area?
rowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #69
Mango Tango

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowow View Post
Have you every tried low tide? For some reason its WAY better at low tide for the south side of skyway. I know it seems ridiculous but thats what I experienced, although at the same time I dont have the opportunity to conduct many tests as I live 1.5 hours away, so I may be wrong. What is your experience on vis? What conditions allow for the best vis (tide, tidal coefficient, weather, wind, storms, time of year, etc). I'm trying to collect as much data as I can as not that many people on these forums dive the bridges.

As for the howlin/gandy bridge, I attempted to go out there a few times but it was always bad vis on both low and high. I saw youtube videos of great vis and huge black drums out there but never was lucky with the vis. So agian what would you say gives the best vis for that area?

I don't think I have tried a true low tide but I have stayed out long enough for the tide to turn and start pulling out. IME some of the worst vis is when the tide starts ripping out. Like I said earlier I haven't been since the end of last winter but usually I would just go when I was able with no regard to any conditions except tide and wind. I like high tide and low winds but other than that don't have specifics as I don't log my trips. My main criteria is availability. If I can go and it's a nice day it's worth a shot. The less things making the water move the less junk gets into suspension and obstructs viz. Sorry I don't have any more details.

To be honest Skyway has better vis the the other bridges but HF is empty and fishy and close to me so it's my main squeeze.
Mango Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #70
fishkillapro

May have seen a big shark on Gandy this past weekend. Viz was so so and whatever it was had a very big tail. Definite buzzkill and we moved a few miles.
fishkillapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #71
CaptivaCommando
Gulf Freediver

Thanks to all you clowns for the annual reminder as to why I stopped checking the forums.

The only guy with value added on this is Matt. As a guy who spears the Bay regularly, I'll echo his advice. Tampa Bay has a lot of sharks, mostly when the water is 70 degrees or above. However, during those times the vis is shit and you wont see them, but they are around. Dive smart, don't keep fish on you, and if you get bumped go to a new spot. During the winter months the water clears up drastically and will be top-to-bottom in most of the Bay under 25'. A good rule of thumb for sharks in the Bay is to follow the bait and other predators. When the tarpon start showing up, the sharks are there too.

Tampa Bay Spearfishing Club
St Pete Underwater Club
CaptivaCommando is offline   Reply With Quote