Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #31
BigMako
Keith Simmons

Re: My blue water gun build

Very Impressive! I especially like the innovative line anchor assembly. Very Nice!
Old 09-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #32
Bretto

It's been a while now but finally got around to preparing most of the handle today, I drilled out the holes on the inside of the handle plates making sure not to drill all the way through and i used 3 short dowels and 2 short bits of 3/16 stainless round bar to hold it all together. Just need to epoxy the handle plates to the frame now and give it a touch up with a bit of sand paper and that part will be all done

Very close to finishing the gun now!

Bretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:40 PM   #33
phil herranen

that should work great

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:25 AM   #34
Bretto

Been busy working on the gun the last couple days! I got CFHunter to make me up a couple Tuna inlays for the gun. I've spent the last couple of arvo's routing and carving out the teak to fit them flush into the stock. Only done one side but so far so good, just need to mix some teak saw dust in with epoxy to fill in the gaps around the out line and sand it back with some fine grade sand paper. Would just like to thank Chris for making me the inlays, the quality of these are absolutely amazing and worth every cent! Cheers mate!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 AM   #35
Wahooooo!

I have to say that is one of the nicest guns I have seen in awhile. Your metal working precision show in the quality of the workmanship. Everything looks extremely clean and the tuna inlay is unreal!!!

A few thoughts:
I'm not a big fan of the slot for replacing bands because it is so easy to tie them in place. In a wooden muzzle gun it weakens the muzzle but with SS reinforcement you wont have any problems.

The allen screw for the line release is not something you will ever touch once the build is done and I have never had one strip.

The handle, trigger and guard are all beautiful but there is a lot of space around the trigger and therefore more chance something could hit the trigger and fire by accident. Not likely to happen but something to consider in future builds.

A wooden enclosed track is easy to make with a ball cutting bit, is as low friction as anything else, and holds up well. You dont have to have delrin or an epoxy enclosed track, although they are fashionable.

We will be up in NSW to spear over Christmas (live in Victoria). I'll PM you around that time and maybe we can meet up and dive.

Congrats on the gun. Cant wait to see your first fish taken with it.

Bruce
Wahooooo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #36
BigMako
Keith Simmons

Awesome work! If that's your first gun, I'd have to say we need to call you a prodigy. Beautiful gun.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #37
Rjlduo

I had an allen screw on my line release strip out when I was doing my build. It wasn't too bad to remove since it wasn't fully sunk into the wood so I was able to grab the head with pliers and back it out. In any case, I also recommend changing the allen screw out for 1/8" rod (I used brass because that is what I had but SS is ideal). I don't agree that once your gun is done you won't need to remove it. If you are like me, the gun is never "done" and I am always tweaking things to make them work better for me. For such an easy modification I think it is well worth it and could potentially save you a big headache down the road.
Rjlduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #38
Griswold
Chad

It is obvious that much love has gone into building this gun. Good luck with shooting a pair of tuna to go with those beautiful inlays.

Great thread, it's been a joy watching it come together. Nice job taking quality pictures along the way.
Griswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #39
Toledo970

Absolutely beautiful gun.
Toledo970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #40
CFHunter

Brett, great job on the entire gun. Im really impressed with how clean your first inlay came out, it took me a couple practices before i worked up the brass to cut into my first speargun. Cant wait to see what the other side looks like. Also you mentioned you wont be epoxying your gun, so i thought id mention that once your inlays are set, glued in and wet sanded to a finish, you can either put a bit of clear coat just over the inlay, or just use a polishing wheel on a dremel and some superfine buffing compound, or a little rock oil and that inlay will just POP in the sunlight.

Good luck with the rest of the build mate!
CFHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #41
alcamus

Wha wha whi wha!!!! You have some serious skills....
alcamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #42
Eytan
FreediverSBlocal

Damn that's one sexy gun, I love the abalone tuna inlay. The gun looks really good, now go kill some fish with it!
Eytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:07 PM   #43
ACEVEDO
Thanks but NO TANKS

I agree that gun is way to Sexy to have that riffe But Pad ...
This gun is a true work of art ,,,,Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereefgeek View Post
Epoxy on a piece of a flop flop and trim it with a flush trim bit:

ACEVEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:53 AM   #44
Bretto

Thank you for all the positive feedback guys it is much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahooooo! View Post
I have to say that is one of the nicest guns I have seen in awhile. Your metal working precision show in the quality of the workmanship. Everything looks extremely clean and the tuna inlay is unreal!!!

A few thoughts:
I'm not a big fan of the slot for replacing bands because it is so easy to tie them in place. In a wooden muzzle gun it weakens the muzzle but with SS reinforcement you wont have any problems.

The allen screw for the line release is not something you will ever touch once the build is done and I have never had one strip.

The handle, trigger and guard are all beautiful but there is a lot of space around the trigger and therefore more chance something could hit the trigger and fire by accident. Not likely to happen but something to consider in future builds.

A wooden enclosed track is easy to make with a ball cutting bit, is as low friction as anything else, and holds up well. You dont have to have delrin or an epoxy enclosed track, although they are fashionable.

We will be up in NSW to spear over Christmas (live in Victoria). I'll PM you around that time and maybe we can meet up and dive.

Congrats on the gun. Cant wait to see your first fish taken with it.
Cheers Wahooooo and thank you for your advice. I plan on oiling this gun so i can do a few adjustments later on in the future and i will possibly be fitting a delrin enclosed or epoxy graphic enclosed track. I also plan on doing a wooden enclosed track some time in the future on one of my gun builds. To this date i have never had a issue with open rail tracks so will see how it goes and go from there i guess, the beauty is i can always add it in later on if need be.

Wahooooo definitley PM me if you are up in NSW at Christmas, I'm always KEEN for a dive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMako View Post
Awesome work! If that's your first gun, I'd have to say we need to call you a prodigy. Beautiful gun.
haha cheers BigMako! I have made a few guns now but this is definitely one of my best so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjlduo View Post
I had an allen screw on my line release strip out when I was doing my build. It wasn't too bad to remove since it wasn't fully sunk into the wood so I was able to grab the head with pliers and back it out. In any case, I also recommend changing the allen screw out for 1/8" rod (I used brass because that is what I had but SS is ideal). I don't agree that once your gun is done you won't need to remove it. If you are like me, the gun is never "done" and I am always tweaking things to make them work better for me. For such an easy modification I think it is well worth it and could potentially save you a big headache down the road.
Rjldue i totally agree with you mate, i did take this onboard when it was bought up earlier in the thread. I still have to go and get a bit of 1/8 stainless pin... Laziness But you are definitely right and the last thing i want is a headache and all sorts of problems down the track, cheers for your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
It is obvious that much love has gone into building this gun. Good luck with shooting a pair of tuna to go with those beautiful inlays.

Great thread, it's been a joy watching it come together. Nice job taking quality pictures along the way.
Yes Griswold you are right there mate! I have put a heap of hours, thought, planning and 'love' into this gun and i would be more than happy if i was rewarded with a couple nice big fat Tuna's to chrisen it with

Glad your enjoying the thread mate, I will keep the pics coming as i go... Hopefully not for long though as it should be finished soon, I'm itching to test it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHunter View Post
Brett, great job on the entire gun. Im really impressed with how clean your first inlay came out, it took me a couple practices before i worked up the brass to cut into my first speargun. Cant wait to see what the other side looks like. Also you mentioned you wont be epoxying your gun, so i thought id mention that once your inlays are set, glued in and wet sanded to a finish, you can either put a bit of clear coat just over the inlay, or just use a polishing wheel on a dremel and some superfine buffing compound, or a little rock oil and that inlay will just POP in the sunlight.

Good luck with the rest of the build mate!
Thanks Chris, I'm real happy with how the first one turned out and will post up some pics after I've done the other side which will probably be in a couple days time.

I think i will go with the idea of the dremel with small polishing wheel and buffing compound and see how it turns out... Stressful times!

Once again i really appreciate the time you took to make the inlays for me mate, thanks a heap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEVEDO View Post
I agree that gun is way to Sexy to have that riffe But Pad ...
This gun is a true work of art ,,,,Joe
Cheers Joe and i agree with you mate! I don't know what i was thinking at the time when i was even considering using the riffe butt for this gun. I love the flip flop style butts you guys use over there and it's going to be incorporated into the gun for sure! They make the gun look very sleek!

I have went and got a sheet of similar stuff to use for the job and for future gun builds.

To everyone else and anyone I've missed i thank you very much for all the feedback and help thoughout the process of the build it really inspires me to already start planning the next gun. Hopefully this one will be finished soon and out in the deep blue for a pelagic test run!

Last edited by Bretto; 09-25-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #45
Wahooooo!

Brett

You may consider using a finish that is a little longer lasting than simple oil. Resinated oils or a mix of polyurethane and oil. These dont build up a thick plastic like finish like epoxy or many layers of Poly so they are easy to refinish. Simple teak oil looks great and is easy to finish but doesnt last very long on a gun being used a lot.

Penetrating epoxy (epoxy thinned with Xylene or toluene ) is another good option.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=30826&page=2

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...d+epoxy+finish

Bruce
Wahooooo! is offline   Reply With Quote