Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #16
Newton

Re: Abellan Denton 120 Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
Beautiful!
Thank you!
Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:42 AM   #17
spearq8

Nice change! For anyone having an older Abellan gun that they would like to change out the trigger to the Double Roller trigger, I think it will be much easier soon. The idea would be to have an almost hassle free change out. The Abellan trigger comes in two versions, the older version which I think is about 14mm wide and the newer version which is about 1 or 1.5mm more (or something like that). This was done to allow line inside the mech ... a very silly "improvement" which I think weakens the trigger. With the DR short trigger, the back hole lines up perfectly and the side holes almost perfectly ... all you would need is put the mech in and maybe widen out the side drill holes a bit ... then mix in some epoxy and with a toothpick just put in a drop or two of epoxy in each hole to seal it and allow for a better screw fit. The only problem is that now when you pull the trigger, your palm to trigger pull is about 1 cm shorter ... so the trigger will hit the handle before the sear drops. You would either have to push the trigger arms more forward ... or carve out a place in the handle to allow the trigger to go through the handle and the sear drop.

There will be a new trigger sear made that would allow all this to be unnecessary and basically just a trigger switch out. Maybe the peened pins of the new DR trigger would need to be sanded flush (to make room for the slightly wider DR trigger) or just a slight filing off the sides of the older trigger pocket. But really not more than 5 minutes of work to get the trigger working perfectly. I think I might put up a video and change out one of my older Abellan triggers to show how this is done. Basically all that was done is just push the trigger sear about .6mm forward to allow for sear to drop without any modifications. Here is a 3D printed sear that shows the difference. The new one for Abellan upgrades will be slightly further forward ... everything else will be exactly the same.

spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #18
manoa matt

Wouldn't it just be easier to drill and tap the existing trigger without taking it out of the mechanism? Install an adjustable trigger extension like Olympic shooting pistols? Removing pins that have been peened in, and dealing with circular wound springs is not for the faint of heart, or the inexperienced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100700.15.png
Views:	188
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	235922  
manoa matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:23 AM   #19
JJohansen

I've been working my way through a gun build that incorporates the advances in design in rear handle spearguns such as a very high grip and a handle that places the center mass of the gun in line with the palm. I've made a series of softwood stocks (just the aft end) to play with tolerances using the new DR mech. One of the best ways to bring the center mass in line with your palm/arm rather than thumb is to slightly rotate the handle, perhaps 10 degrees or so. I'm sure many other people have noticed this before me. However, by rotating the handle, your trigger finger is moved further off the trigger. With my most aligned stock, my finger does not curl around the trigger but rather rests along the edge. This position might work fine, but is feels a bit strange not having full contact with the trigger.

Perhaps one solution would be to create a "dogleg" in the lower section of the trigger that moves the curved area of the trigger to follow the rotation of the handle. Perhaps an adjustable extention like what Manoamatt posted would work.

A more fundamental problem is that the mech internals all need to be inline with the shaft. Rotating the handle moves the contracting motion of your trigger finger from straight back into the mech to slightly angle back.

Overall I think that none of these are very significant problems, but if we are aiming at fine tuning every little aspect, maybe there is some room to improve here?
JJohansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:55 AM   #20
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

hey Matt, the wood in that CAD image looks like suspiciously like Cordia subcordata. STUNNING wood and great in the water, I use it for handles and if i can ever find a straight enough piece, a stock. Are you using it? or is that just random CAD imagery?
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:10 AM   #21
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

JJ, I'm doing same with the DR mech, evolving stock and handle plate shapes to get the hand as high as possible whilst still absorbing recoil, also using a more acute angle on the handle mount plate and recessing the stock and plate to allow hand to sit way up] which brings yr trigger finger a LOT further back.
Per Majd's suggestion i bend the business end of the trigger sear back in a vice about 1cm and its just right for me. the sear ends up being almost vertical, just a subtle curve where your finger touches.
took awhile to get used to not having finger wrapped around the trigger but all good now. and its amazing how well recoil is channeled straight through to your shoulder, even with three hot 14.8mm bands and 8.5mm shaft.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #22
Gonefishing82

Gnarly! What band setup are you running diameter and lengthwise? How does it shoot?
Gonefishing82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #23
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing82 View Post
Gnarly! What band setup are you running diameter and lengthwise? How does it shoot?
Havent got Albacore with me, but ~14.8mm small ID grey Primeline from Benthic at 380% stretch [not incl bridle], work out the length

Carved timber recoil handle, shoots superbly at 7+ metres, unfortunately havent had a chance to test penetration out on anything super thick yet.....
Old 01-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #24
Gonefishing82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
Havent got Albacore with me, but ~14.8mm small ID grey Primeline from Benthic at 380% stretch [not incl bridle], work out the length

Carved timber recoil handle, shoots superbly at 7+ metres, unfortunately havent had a chance to test penetration out on anything super thick yet.....
Is this on the Denton or Albacore? 7 meters thats excellent performance!

My original comment was directed at Newton about his Denton 120, as I’m trying to gather ideas optimize my Denton 120 shooting 8mm shaft, but would like to know how the 8.5mm shaft setup is shooting.

Last edited by Gonefishing82; 01-12-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #25
brandon cadalzo

Spearq8 do i smell a how to video for this trigger mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #26
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing82 View Post
Is this on the Denton or Albacore? 7 meters thats excellent performance!
My original comment was directed at Newton about his Denton 120, as I’m trying to gather ideas optimize my Denton 120 shooting 8mm shaft, but would like to know how the 8.5mm shaft setup is shooting.
8.5mm dbl flopper shaft on the Albacore mate, 7metres+.
7.5mm on my Denton. nice and light, and still plenty of punch
Old 01-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #27
Gonefishing82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
8.5mm dbl flopper shaft on the Albacore mate, 7metres+.
7.5mm on my Denton. nice and light, and still plenty of punch

Sweet!
Old 01-17-2018, 04:05 AM   #28
doyenofcastle

anyone tried to use RA spring steel spear with ABELLAN ?
7.5 mm can be used in lieu of 8 mm SS spear ?
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:23 AM   #29
AK_FishTech

I use 7.5mm rob Allen and other brand carbon steel shafts with my 110. Works great.
AK_FishTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:43 AM   #30
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon cadalzo View Post
Spearq8 do i smell a how to video for this trigger mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes !!!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote