Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #46
clarky711

Re: Spearing in the Canyons off NJ

Yup, mahi are fun to shoot alright, here is my best at 17lbs. Hoping to get out there soon...

You never know what you're going to find out there as well, besides triggers, I shot this 10lb wreckfish on a floating tree about 100 miles out! Delicious!!

clarky711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #47
PeterCorreale
Sponsor-SpearfishingPanama

Send a message via AIM to PeterCorreale

nice mahi and wreck fish!.... was it last season when u found the tree floating out there? i remember seeing something on Noreast.com about that.......... looks like a weather window for friday, might head offshore again....
PeterCorreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #48
AndrewK

A wreckfish?! Now thats something else.... Nice shooting....

Biggest mahi Ive ever taken was 37 lbs in cozumel, havent shot any up here yet but hooked into one rod n reel fishing for sharks a while back.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #49
PeterCorreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by akapp View Post
A wreckfish?! Now thats something else.... Nice shooting....

Biggest mahi Ive ever taken was 37 lbs in cozumel, havent shot any up here yet but hooked into one rod n reel fishing for sharks a while back.

NICE DORADO! here is a link to the photos from the offshore trip last week... http://catcheye.smugmug.com/Fishing/...43669654_srRce
Old 07-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #50
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Nice pic's and fish guys
Old 07-23-2010, 05:34 AM   #51
Behslayer

Greetings from LI. Made it. Brought 7 new Guns and some extra Reels with me..

165cm
155cm
145cm
125cm

Nice Pics Peter. How pissed were you when you finally got in the water, finally got into the Mahi.. and your wishbone popped out of the band? I imagine some choice words were shared...
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #52
PeterCorreale

Hhaha.... Funny u noticed that...... I'm about to head out and shoot some bass.... Might be going offshore on Monday.... Hit up my cell phone when u make it out to montauk 2035243654 I got a buddy who might want to take that 125cm off ur hands.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #53
MadridTom

when you guys go out to the canyon, do you charter a boat or take personal boats out? I have been looking to go out for a while now but am just lost when it comes to finding a boat
MadridTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #54
clarky711

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCorreale View Post
nice mahi and wreck fish!.... was it last season when u found the tree floating out there? i remember seeing something on Noreast.com about that.......... looks like a weather window for friday, might head offshore again....
Yeah, it was last September and we probably did put it on Noreast. It was also loaded with huge triggers of which many came home. I shot my first double there too. I got lucky with the wreck, I'm sure there's not many that will get the chance to wack one of them!
clarky711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #55
LeMonstier

Went out last night from Wildwood NJ to Wilmington Canyon and got to spend some time in the water swimming with Mahi. it was awesome!! First time in water like that and now I'm totally hooked. I brought my gear but it was so easy to catch them that I used my water time to photograph them instead. Yeah, it's something of an excuse, but to be honest, I didn't want to hold up the other guys who were out fishing for White Marlin and by the time I was finished with my camera, the school was gone. We ended up catching about 7 Mahi and 2 Mako and had a white marlin on the line for a moment.
LeMonstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #56
Behslayer

Holy Crap! Who would have guessed that there was that kind of Bluewater Fishery off of the RI, NY, NJ coast.

I went out to the Canyons with my brother yesterday out of Newport, RI. I didn't get to dive.. I was on a boat with 4 serious RandR fishermen, and they had 1OO tricks to try, but it was a great experience anyways, and I think I'll head back out there in the near future and this time I will be bringing a Big Gun..

Here's some general observations coming from someone who has done a bit of Bluewater fishing on the other side of the world..

As we arrived to the fishing grounds, I saw the High Fliers buoys which are either Lobster Traps or Long Line Buoys, where I would have liked to jump in the water. It was a little choppy with 2ft seas. Good enough conditions, and the water was almost 8Odegrees and Blue. Blue. The first thing I saw from the boat were some Huge Sting Rays, then a lot of big Porpoises, then a big pod of what I think were Minke Whales. Then... as I was looking at one of the High Fliers I saw a BIG Shark. Unfortunately, I can't tell you it was a Basking Shark.. The fin was a little bit strange looking, a little rounded, but whatever shark it was, it was 12-15ft long and brownish, and on the surface.

We trolled up some nice Yellowfin as the sun was setting, and then set up the chum slick for a night time drift.

Almost immediately a decent sized Mako ie 15Olbs swam right up to the boat to our chum bag. I could literally have poked the fish from the boat.. so we baited that and soon enough we had the Mako to the side of the boat. Too soon.. actually and it went beserk and snapped one of the gaffs in half imparting a nice black eye to my brother..

As soon as we got that predator out of the slick, endless Mahi Mahi arrived on scene and did their best to jump into the cooler. But, all that came to an end when the Yellowfin marrauded through and in a second, all of the rids in the water were screaming with 5O-6Olb tuna.

Once the tuna were boarded, we didn't hardly get two lines in the water before my rod was hit. I watched 4OOyds of line get stripped in 3O seconds and knew I was in for tough times. One and a half hours later, I switched off with my brother. An hour after that we boated a 25Olb+ Swordfish..

More Mahi. More Yellowfin. and then it was morning and the wind came up and it was time to get home.

I'd like to get back out there on the right day.. ie Flat and Glassy and jump in and see what's around. From what I could tell anything is possible. I know there's Mahi around the ropes of the High Fliers, but I wouldn't be surprised if you tied off to a Buoy and put together a little burley... if just about anything appeared. Wahoo, Tuna, Billfish, and unfortunately Sharks.. That's the real question out there.. Sharks. One of our friends who was fishing nearby lost 2O tuna to sharks that night. And every boat out there is dumping the heads of any fish they catch overboard.. It would be nice to jump in with a friend and keeps eyes around for a bit out there to get a feel for the place. I'd definitely consider bringing a bigger gun. The Water is Crystal Clear, and there's definitely a possibility of seeing something like a big Wahoo or even a Tuna around those ropes. Just a question of what else shows up..
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #57
FLETCHOSAURUS

That was the best post I have seen yet. Thanks for the great report and good new's. I wonder if my 110cm would do the trick on a big yelowfin. I can't wait to get my shot.
┃┈┈┈┈┈-●┈┈┈ ╰━━ ┃
┣━━━━━━╯ ┈┈┈┈┈┈┃
╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯
FLETCHOSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #58
AndrewK

Danny get a slip tip for sure if you want to go pop a tuna.... LOL.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #59
Freedvrjim
straight shooter

Jon, That was an awesome read. I need to get out in the Big Blue!
Thanks for the visual and thanks Peter for the Photography on your site!

Jimmy
Freedvrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #60
PeterCorreale

Was out at the tails for work yesterday.... Didn't get to jump in with a gun.... We got skunked, only brought home one tuna and we had one bill fish come up on our green machine but he didn't hook up.... I'm gonna try and make a non work offshore trip out there soon and shoot some tuna. I just got my water housing back out here so stand by for some photos...