Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #211
offshoreslingin

Re: 100 Ways for a Rig Diver to Die

Thanks Rok, i appreciate the help very much. LOL, didnt even realize the pun, doing my best to just stay hooked figuratively! This may be a seriously dumb question but it looks like you have that rope wound back into itself to create the loop that you have your clip on and then again wound back on itself on the other end to form the loop that the cable would be looped through...am i seeing that correctly? If so, how do you get it wound back into itself tightly like that and at exactly the correct length? Prefabed or Hardware store? Thanks again.
offshoreslingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #212
Wil
Hell Diver

yes, you are seeing it right, do it your self, you can make the rope as short or long as you want to as long as you can braid properly
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #213
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

^^^ check youtube, splicing that kind of rope is very easy
kylo1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #214
offshoreslingin

Thanks gents, will do.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #215
offshoreslingin

just finished watching you tube. definetly very easy. Thanks again for the info.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #216
cerobit
dazedNconfussled

bump b/c this is a great thread & I want to read thru it all when I have time.

One day i'll hit u hell divers up for a rig trip, tho I'll prolly just watch! My wife can't wait to see ya'll again, lol.
cerobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #217
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerobit View Post
bump b/c this is a great thread & I want to read thru it all when I have time.

One day i'll hit u hell divers up for a rig trip, tho I'll prolly just watch! My wife can't wait to see ya'll again, lol.
Sounds cool. Maybe you could make the wind stop. It's been blowing like a Bourbon St. hooker, over here. Last 2 times out it was 5'+ seas, and those were the calm days.
Not too mention the torrential rains and flooding bullshit is washing out into the Gulf to make the water even more dirty. This winter is nothing like last, maybe spring will be better.

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #218
spearstudtx
Nathan

Not much better on this side of the state line.

ET IN ARCADIA EGO
spearstudtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #219
Mighty KC

Scary and informative reading. I have been diving the platforms in the Northern Gulf since 1981, and I have experienced some close calls myself. One thing that I have not experienced is this "Bristle Worm". I thought that I had seen everything on the rig but obviously not. I have been stung by the Man-o-war, that really, really hurt bad, and ever since I have worn a wetsuit or skin when I dive. Is the worm comparable to that? where do they live at?

By the way, my scariest moment came when my son (13yrs old) shot a cownose ray while freediving, got a tangle in his reel and got his finger stuck in the middle of the tangle. I was close by and able to grab the line and get enough slack in it for him to get his finger out. Why did he shoot it? he had seen his dad and others do similar things,and someone had told him that they tasted like scallops. We got that thing on the boat (about 30lbs) and he was proud. I wanted to beat him with a belt. I cleaned it when we got home, my wife was a good sport and cooked some of it. It was absoutely filthy and tasted nothing like scallops. My sons are my dive buddys, and now that I am reaching the end of middle age, they look out for "old dad" (I can still out Dive them, they just dont think so)
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #220
FredT

Bristle worms live under things, or nestled in amongst the barnacles and oysters on the structure. More common on rigs over a high sand or sandy clay bottom.

Having had a MoW inside my wetsuit once (REALLY long story) crushing a Bristle worm with bare skin is that pain X 3, for about 6 weeks.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #221
Mighty KC

A Man O War X3 ? Jesus Christ ! I will have to be on the look out for those. I dont usually reach up in the pipes, but I do lay on the cross members and plates. I have been freediving exclusively for the last 18 or so years, but I dont remember seeing (or even hearing) about these back when I used scuba.

Learn somthing new everyday.

Good Hunting,

KC
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #222
BOHUNTER

Yeah Im not ready for the rig diving yet! LOL

Personally, not mancho just thinking coherently, I dont care if its 10 feet deep, I will spend the money to service and buy whatever I need to breath underwater and get me back to the surface. Your "PRIDE" is what is going to kill you one day. I know a guy simluar to you and he wont touch water but his theory is "Awe, it will be alright" or "Put some tape or a piece of string on it." Well this happened and it finally caught up with him one day. Not only was it a Total out but the tractor, truck, trailer and his ass. BUT... Look at how much money he saved before it happened! NOT ME BROTHER!

If you like extreme then thats good. Im just saying this cause you dont need to die after creating all this great information to us for a bad reg and no back up or a bounce and a piece of wirerope/cable from a rig gets you entangled.

Once it happens its too late. Ask Tiger Woods!

I havent much experience but Ive dove the jet black 6 inch viz gator rivers for junk, current haulin ass and rocks and overhangs, not worth the time and the equipment but it was fun as hell and Im up for it anytime. Entanglements, well thats the part people dont consider enough. Nets, line, rope, cable, logs, trees, steel, overhead, and even a strap AJ already speared is bad news and another issue! Im all for it, I think you should get your gear right though. I like stories and Id be crushed to find out a death which could have been prevented wasnt because of pride!

Get you a 2nd stage, Ive read 2-3 times where you could have used it!

Looking forward to making some rig dives. I work in the Onshore end of the oilfields so something new for me too!

Steve Holloway
Milton Florida
BOHUNTER
BOHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #223
chasintail
Hell Diver

KC you won't find bristle worms on the rigs you dive and if you did it would be rare.Its the same reason we don't get the lobster are or heavy corals until we make an 80 mile run.The rigs our Lousiana brothers (and sisters) dive are for the most part closer to deep water and the gulf stream.Not to mention the river which is one on the main reason for the such a great resource of fish.I the mistake of draging my bare shin across on at 265 last summer.Yeah,its worse than a man o war.
chasintail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #224
STITCH
ICU Nurse

Best 15 pages I've found so far. Rock, thank you.
STITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #225
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by STITCH View Post
Best 15 pages I've found so far. Rock, thank you.
Your welcome.

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote