Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:06 AM   #1
CaptainHook

DIY - Pole Spear made from Walking Sticks

Hello out there,
recently i humbled over some walking sticks at the dumb and i thoiught, these would be perfect to build a Pole Spear with it, so here is my small Tutorial how i did it.
Please some Comments and Improvements
Greetings from Germany!
CaptainHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt
Re: DIY - Pole Spear made from Walking Sticks

Lots of Views and no Replies.

As far as DIY poles and the tools you have you did a great job. Goes to show many with a little effort you can make a good usable pole.

That said, my comments.

Use some jam nuts on those threads during assembly, I don't like seeing the teeth on your tool on those threads tearing them up.

Consider the tolerance area around the fitting for the glue. What thickness gives you maximum bond? You can always file some grooves into it for space for glue. Roughing up the inside of the tube might be a good idea as well same for fitting.

Do some research into how glues / etc actually work on bonding. I'm far from an expert, but it's an interesting topic. My experience deal with bonding of material layers that are super thin. Some of the same principles but a different animal. I know enough to just be dangerous, thusly no data provided for this application.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
CaptainHook

Thanks alot for your advanced advices! I like to get tipps like these
Greetings
Old 08-22-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
captain.ed

Awesome! I just started playing around w pole spear design and what you made is pretty close to what I was thinking about. Great tip on using the putty to keep the epoxy from flowing out. I've been working with epoxy for 30 years and have never seen that trick!! My wife is an artist and we always have plastic model clay laying around.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2017, 06:54 AM   #5
CaptainHook

I always had the problem, that the extrem fluid Epoxy was rinsing out of small gaps, at the first i tried it with ducktape but it didnt worked at all, the putty does a perfect job all the time i used it