Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 08-15-2016, 11:58 PM   #1
FLSportsman

Spear fishing/Diving/Fishing/Snorkling Marathon

Sorry for the wide-ranged title, but we've got an array (10 total family members) of people coming with us on this trip so the menu of activities is pretty broad. We have rented a house in Marathon from 8-20 to 8-27 and we will have a boat from the 21st through the 24th.

I'm an AOW certified diver and an experienced fisherman and spearfisherman (mainly Gulf coast from St Pete to Steinhatchee), so I'm excited to get out and find some spots to fill the cooler and get some fresh fish on the dinner table for our group. Any tips or a friendly point in the right direction would be immensely appreciated, as this will be my first time in Marathon.

Also, there's several people in our group who are hoping to snorkel up some lobsters, and just get on some senic/pretty reefs without too much depth to them. I've done some leg work online, but again anyone with some firsthand knowledge who might be able to save me some time hunting for these spots would be absolutely amazing!

If there's anyone on here that will be in the area during those dates, send me a PM and let's see if we can't meet up! I'm always down for some good company and new dive/fishing buddies. Thanks!
FLSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
Marathonrookie

Re: Spear fishing/Diving/Fishing/Snorkling Marathon

Lived in spring hill and had a place in suwannee for a few years so I know what you are use to. I kinda miss the middle grounds....Anyways it's a little different here.

Re lobster, try the gulf and look for limestone holes. It's not pretty but you can find lobsters. The pretty area by the reef's i've never really seen any lobsters beyond the rare 1 or 2. I typically dive the bridges at slack tide when I have time and i usually walk away with a few.

Re fishing. Atlantic side use Fluro leaders and easy on the weights and line strength, the fish here are brutal when it comes to them being able to see what is going on.
36' Prokat Behind my house

Typically out alone or with a half empty boat, open to others joining.
Marathonrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
sway21

I would say for snorkeling if its calm you have to go to the sombrero reef lighthouse. About ~8mile run but well worth it, like your in an aquarium.

For lobsters your gonna have to work for it. As mentioned the bridge on slack tide is doable. If it is not slack tide no chance. Gulf side you can find limestone holes that may hold lobsters but your gonna have to search and between dodging all the lobster pot bouys its not super leisurely unless you have a few people on boat willing to jump in and out of water. Or you can troll people on rope behind boat. It helps if the wind is down and water flat and sun up because the white bottom is easy to spot around the sea grass.

Chumming up for snapper is fun too and everyone can join in. Can do that gulf or ocean side.
sway21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
FLSportsman

That's awesome Marathonrookie, I'm actually born and raised Spring Hill , I moved up to Gainesville to go to UF and I just haven't left.

I've got plenty of fluro leaders for most of the rigs I'm planning on using, as I've definitely heard that the clear water makes most things skittish.

As far as the bridges go, do you mean 7 Mile Bridge or are there others that you'd also recommend trying to hit at slack tide? I've read a good bit online about the strength of the currents on 7 Mile Bridge, and also that it can sometime be a bit sharky. I certainly intend on getting out there on some slack tides though.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
FLSportsman

Thanks for the heads up Sway21, Sombrero Reef is absolutely on the list of places to hit for the snorkeling crew. I've heard nothing but good things about that area (besides the fact that it's a no-take zone)!

I'll definitely be trolling the Gulf side for those limestone spots, so I appreciate the tip. The plan is to tow someone who's masked and snorkeled up, and they'll just release whenever they see something that warrants further investigation!
Old 08-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
Marathonrookie

Was at 7 mile today for about 45 mins. Snagged 4 lobsters and a few hogs. It can get a little sharky but beyond a nurse shark attacking my dive bag last trip I haven't had a problem there ever. The nurse shark isn't really a problem of course. Any bridge typically seems to hold lobster though, all have pretty crazy currents with slack tide being the only real time you can attempt things.
36' Prokat Behind my house

Typically out alone or with a half empty boat, open to others joining.
Marathonrookie is offline   Reply With Quote