Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #31
Skitch1974

Re: Immersion freediving review

* * *I never learned how to swim. It seems I was born knowing how. My mother always said I was born *with ocean water in my veins. From life guarding in the summers to thirteen years on swimming and diving teams, as well as having been a certified scuba diver for fourteen years, water is my second home. Therefore when I signed up for my first free diving class, it seemed like this was going to be a no brainer. I would just need to train to hold my breathe longer. While the theory and safety aspects of the class were easy to pick up, there was one fundamental skill required in order to be a free diver that completely eluded me. The Frenzel Technique of clearing your ears. All the other divers were able to pick it up so easily. It seems my years of experience actually put me at a disadvantage. Evidently my body had naturally found a way to equalize in the past and I had been using it habitually for 38 years. I found out it was inadequate at depths greater than 15-20ft, and it would be a really hard habit to break. I couldn't believe that I would fail to reach a 33ft dive, which honestly didn't seem that big of a deal, before I couldn't equalize my ears.*
* * There is a happy ending to this story. *I completed the class by doing the basics. But the real work started afterwards. I was not left to my own devices, however. I continued to practice but Ted was also there to help as much as possible. Via phone and Skype and with the help of several written exercises he gave me, I was finally able to master the Frenzel. It took about 3 weeks of daily practice. The key was attacking the problem from a all angles. If one thing didn't work, we tried another. It was almost like occupational therapy for your throat and ears. And it worked. 3 months later, Ted coached me through my personal best, a dive to 80ft.*
* * *Before meeting Ted, I had taken one other freediving course. It was overcrowded and the instructors didn't seem to have enough time to coach those having difficulties. It turned out that I learned very little from that course. Ted's courses are smaller, more organized and simply more informative. Not only do I feel that I have a good base for continuing my training in freediving. But more importantly, I feel that I could safely handle most freediving emergencies with confidence. That is why I think Ted offers the best freediving course available. Having tried others first; I can say that this course is *the one you want to take. Hands down, the best and worth every penny.*

Skitch1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #32
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Here is recent review from student.

I recently took the Intermediate Freediver course with Ted Harty and Immersion Freediving. My first experience with a formal freediving course was last year when I took the basic freediver course with PFI. Unfortunately I wasn't able to finish the ocean portion of the class due to bad weather, so about a year later I decided to contact Ted about finishing the course with him on his boat. After a short refresher session in the pool, and two ocean sessions I knew that Immersion was the way to go to continue my training in the sport. You can tell that Ted is passionate about what he does and wants everyone to be the best and safest freediver possible. Because of the small class sizes (5 students), you won't get lost in the crowd. Ted works with everyone at their own pace to make sure they get the most out of the class. Immersion Freediving is, in my experience, definitely the best option available out there.

Here is video of Joe coming up from his 6 minute + hold!

Here are some photo's of Joe in action, Joe added a minute on to his 5:00 minute static for a PB of 6:05, and progressed from from 66ft to 100ft max dive as well.

Ted Harty
PFI Freediving courses in South Florida.
US Men's Freediving Record Holder
2012 Captain for USA Freediving Team
See courses in action on my youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ImmersionFD

Immersion Freediving
Why choose Immersion Freediving
Speargun training sessions
954-324-4444

Last edited by ImmersionFD; 12-03-2012 at 08:32 AM.
ImmersionFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #33
JC DiveMIA

I just recently took the Immersion Freediving course with Ted Harty which has changed the way i will dive forever. Where do i start?... Ted is an incredibly knowledgeable instructor and it was truly a pleasure learning from him. He starts off prior to the class sessions with a skype session to evaluate your decompression technique. During your Skype sesh, he either tells you you're doing "frenzle" right, or if you equalize using the valsalva method. If you a naturally do valsalva, he teaches you in GREAT detail how switch to frenzle. He is very patient, even when you may not be as a student as trying to switch techniques can be very frustrating. The importance of frenzle is that you will be able to go past 30 feet of water with ease! Then comes the class session where the first thing he emphasizes is SAFETY! Let me just say this, it is true that spear fishermen are the WORST offenders of breaking the safety rules; i know this as my partner and i were two of them. But now i will NEVER dive with anyone who hasn't taken the course. His point is to get you to understand that diving without proper safety techniques can turn a fun and fruitful day of diving into a very bad day very quickly. He talks about different scenarios and then teaches you how to implement the safety techniques which are invaluable and tremendously necessary to diving safely. I honestly cant say enough good things about his course! He teaches you proper breathing techniques that improved my static apnea time 2 1/2 times longer than what it was prior to the course! But the best part of the course were the ocean dives where our small class of 5 got to put everything we learned into use. Ted is always right by your side during your dives giving you pointers on your technique and how to improve. I really cant tell you how AWESOME this course was!!! I had a blast with my partner and our family and we now have peace of mind knowing we are diving so much safer and much deeper than we were before! I hope this review is helpful to him as he deserves all the business he can get. Ted is a phenominal instructor, i cant wait to take his intermediate course!
JC DiveMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #34
Whitt39

Immersion Freediving is an awesome class. Really amazing experience. I took the class with my two siblings and some other relatives. We were all somewhat experienced spearfishers/divers before the class started but this class took us all to another level. I had never really felt comfortable going deeper than 25 feet before but after two days I was casually hanging out at 50 feet. Ted Hardy is an excellent and patient teacher who focuses intensely on safety but also gets results. Honestly, everybody interested in diving should take this class simply for the safety aspect. I'll admit that scoffed at some of the safety lessons in the beginning but I actually feel much much safer in the water after this class and there is the added bonus of an extra minute plus underwater. Its a win win!
Whitt39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #35
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Not many people can say there were free-diving with lemon sharks on Christmas eve. Glad you guys enjoyed the class, look forward to working with you in the Intermediate class.

Here is another recent review from Jesús Ilundáin. Never hurts to have a good review from Jesus.

Many participants of PFI courses taught by Ted Harty have written about his skill in the water, where he indeed is like a “merman:” amazingly, Ted goes down with each diver on every dive, giving feedback during the dive if possible via signals or sounds, and right after surfacing (well, he does wait for you to do the “cleansing” breaths). During the pool time and ocean dives, he proves to be an extremely patient instructor—even when someone like me keeps making the same mistake over and over, say looking down on the descent… Better yet, he has a bag full of tricks to help students handle sticking points (I no longer look down!). What is important to me is not only that he has the credibility in virtue of his national dynamic apnea record, but that he has the know-how to pass on his knowledge, which is what really matters to those of us taking the course.

His in-the-water skills well established by the many other people who have given feedback, I would like to write a few words from the perspective of someone who has been in the “education business” for the past 20 years, as I am a college professor. To describe Ted and his Immersion Freediving Program in four words, these are: passion, professionalism, knowledge, and dedication (I would add patience, but I already wrote about that). Ted is definitely passionate about freediving; it is his life and he acts accordingly. This attitude is contagious—and appreciated at say, an 8 am start for a four-hour lecture. Here is where Ted's teaching methods and abilities come in, as they are superb. Material that easily lends itself to being dull - physiology of diving, physics - becomes lively and fun through his many anecdotes and stories. More tellingly from an educational stance, they are very well thought-out examples that pull together different strands of material together in a way that enables students to truly understand the material in a seemingly effortless way. I have very rarely encountered this ability to convey the material in such an amenable and pedagogical fashion. This is testament to that professionalism I speak of, as he pays attention to detail on the boat and off the boat, and the latter is where most instructors I have come across tend to fall short. He has obviously thought very carefully about how to deliver crucial material in a way that will make the most sense for the students; and sometimes this means that said knowledge is passed along in bits and pieces that build slowly until the “aha” realization happens whether in class or later in the actual dives. Moreover, when I write dedication, this is to the full extent of the word: not only is he willing to have Skype sessions to help students learn to equalize properly, but while you are in his charge he does the utmost to accommodate your needs: he will do what it takes to get you to the water as confident and capable as feasible; he will stay at the end of the day if need be (no matter how long the day may have been), and give you the attention you need; and he will also ensure that this is a memorable experience you cannot only tell about but also show, as he takes video and photos of everyone’s various performances (and yet another way students get to learn - by watching and matching sensation to observed movement). That is the great advantage of his small-sized classes, undivided attention, and worth every penny (and more, just don’t tell him!).

As a final aside, I was glad to see that PFI and Ted took the theoretical part of the course seriously. They do not shy from giving technical details or from discussing at length possible risks such as blackouts (unlike the hush-hush attitude I saw when I went through my various scuba certifications to reach the rescue diver level). They do so in a way that ensures you understand the risks, and more importantly teach you how to avoid them and what to do so that no matter what, you will be safe and enjoy freediving as it can be enjoyed.

In short, were you to take a PFI course through Immersion Freediving under the tutelage of Ted, you will come out a far better diver and you will love the whole process not just the result. Take the plunge! (You will be very glad you did).

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #36
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Spent last week with Becky and Jeromy from Spearing Magazine for a private course. What a fun group, and the "ocean" session was certainty unique.

She went from having mild panic attacks on the surface to easily getting to 40ft the last day. Quite a transformation.

Here is her testimonial and some pictures from the "ocean" session.

I had been told that Ted Harty with Immersion Freediving was the go to guy if I was ever interested in learning how to dive, but not being a diver (and I mean never diving) or a “professional” snorkeler (seriously only twice in my life) I never thought I would ever need a freediving instructor. Needless to say, when I was presented with the “opportunity” (please notice the punctuation) to take a private class it only made sense to take it from Ted, and now I truly understand how exceptional Ted truly is at teaching. Not only was the coursework extremely educational but Ted made it entertaining with personal stories, personal experiences and hands on training. Never would I have thought that the coursework would leave me wanting more and more knowledge about diving, how the body works and my number one priority how to dive safe and how to be a safe diving partner.
Like I said above, I was not a diver at the beginning of this class, but Ted has so much patience (talking me through a panic attack just to even get my face in the water), he explained what he wanted me to do step by step and then would demonstrate it, by far the easiest way to learn. Ted never pushes you, it’s on your schedule, your comfort level and when you’re ready Ted is always right there with you. Ted gave me such confidence in myself and abilities that there are lessons I learned during this Immersion Freediving course that I will apply to my “above water life”.
I may not be the deepest diver, have the best, or any technique and still have a lot of learning to do, but Ted turned me into a freediver and now I am hooked. I can’t wait to continue my diving education, increasing my depths, improving my technique and I guarantee I will be doing this only with Immersion Freediving and Mr. Ted Harty, no one else compares and I now understand why he is the best and will be my only recommendation to anyone wanting to learn to dive.
Thank you Ted for truly being excited for what I accomplished over the course of five days, you made me feel awesome about myself and for opening up a whole new world to me. Your enthusiasm and passion for what you do is contagious and I look forward to working with you again. So stay tuned you have created a monster and I can honestly say if it wasn’t for you I never would have had the “true dive” experience. Cheers to you and I will see you in the water chasing the most awesome feeling in the world.

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #37
Bacalao

I just finished the Immersion Freediving Intermediate course. I can't begin to explain how happy I am to have taken the course but to have taken it with Ted Harty. I had taken a free diving course the year before with another company, but really never felt I had gotten all of the information I wanted. Previously I had a 2:45 static apnea and a max of 66 ft but not really feeling comfortable. On the first day of statics I jumped to 3:15 and on the second day I did a personal best of 4:00. I was able to do a personal best of 84ft with confidence. Now all of these statics and personal bests are awesome, but the most important element of the class that was hammered into us is safety. One might think that the safety part sounds boring but Ted quickly illustrated to us how with the bonehead stuff that most spear fishermen, do can turn a great day can into a disaster. We constantly practiced all of the proper safety procedures and rescues until executed perfectly. Ted's ability to teach complicated concepts in layman's terms is incredible and makes the classroom sessions a lot of fun and informative. The one on one attention in all aspects of the course are unparalleled in all facets of the course. One of the many great parts of the taking the course with Immersion Freediving is the flexibility of the course. Since you are doing classroom sessions in his house or you are diving on his boat he can dedicate the extra time needed without any pressure. I can't wait to practice what I have learned from Ted and take it to the next level. Thank you for the knowledge.
Bacalao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #38
alejqandrocosmo
Alejandro

Here is my story:
I am a 22 year old student residing in Houston Texas and recently was very interested in spearfishing. I have no background in the area. I had been certified to scuba dive in 2011 and that's pretty much all the experience I had in the water. After watching some spearfishing videos on you tube, I was fascinated and amazed with the idea of freediving to these depths while holding your breath.
I began looking and found a course in corpus Christi, Texas in October 2012. I signed up for the freediving course.
My experience with this course was mixed with good and bad things. The course consisted of 1.5 days 1/2 a day in the classroom, 1/2 a day in the pool and 1/2 in the ocean. I learned a lot during the class and pool session and it was very good information. However the ocean session did not prove to be as successful for my case. First of all, we had to go out on a tugboat about 40-50 miles out (cost of the boat fees per person was around 300 dollars) and the conditions were horrible. 6+ foot seas. Extremely choppy. Even after taking bonine hours before the trip I became terribly seasick. Upon getting to the place where we were going to do our dives, I geared up and went in the water. Even though I felt horrible, I had spent a lot of money and wanted to complete the course. As I tried diving the lines, I could not get past 15 feet. Even at that depth my ears were in great pain. was unable to go down any further. I got even sicker and had to return to the boat, disappointed that I couldn't complete the course.
Even though I was very disappointed after the course, I was not ready to give up on my freediving goal. I kept researching and found out that there existed another organization, PFI which also taught freediving. After looking at their courses, the had very similar guidelines but this course was longer. Also I began to look where to take the course and found that there weren't any courses near to where I lived. I found immersion freediving's website very helpful and motivating, so I gave them a call. Upon calling, I was able to speak directly with Ted, the Owner and sole instructor of the company. I explained to him what my past experience freeving was and his response made me rethink if I had taken the right course from the start. First of all, when I told him how bad the seas, he was amazed that we even went out in those conditions. Also after telling him the problems that I had equalizing, he explained to me that there were 2 ways of equalizing. I had heard this in my first course but was told that it wasn't taught until the next level because it was difficult to learn. Ted assured me that through a Skype session included in his course, he would teach me how to properly equalize using the frenzel method, contrary to the one I was using, the valsalvia.
Upon hearing Teds background as a professional freediver and these motivating words, I signed up for the course. Though the course was 1200 miles away in ft Lauderdale, I was determined to reach my goal anyway possible, so I booked my plane ticket and hotel.
2 Weeks before the course I met with ted via Skype, and it took an hour and afterwards I learned to properly use the more efficient frenzel method. Though I am not the fastest learner, I was successful at it.
Upon arriving to ft Lauderdale, I stayed at one of the hotels which he has a discount rate if you take the course. The freediver course was great! We had our classroom lesson on Friday afternoon at his house, where I learned much more than I had in my previous course and the information came with more credibility because of Teds accomplishments as a professional freediver. The pool sessions on Saturday and sunday proved very effective in polishing entries and rescues that we were to use in the ocean sessions.
On Saturday, I felt great in the ocean. With only a short ride to the ocean on Teds boat, I was not seasick at all. After completing the Saturday ocean session it felt great because I reached 15 meters. I was so happy. The frenzel method really worked.
On Sunday, came the hrdest test of all - 20 meters. Though it took me a few times, I finally reached 20 meters and was extremely happy.
The course was great and I owe my results to Ted. His way of teaching the course gives you confidence and he will help you overcome any difficulty that you may run across in the course. There is no comparison between the other course that I took and his course. Its, longer, has more useful information, and is much better in all areas. My results prove this. If you ever plan on taking any freediving course, there is no doubt that you should take it with IMMERSION FREEDIVING. You wont regret it.
alejqandrocosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #39
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

alejqandrocosmo,

Here is the video from your January 2013 Immersion Freediving 2.5 Day PFI Freediver course.

Charlie pictured below came into this course with ZERO freediving experience other than being in a 10ft pool. After the 2.5 day program, like alex he maxed out the course at 66ft. He then took the Intermediate course next weekend and easily hit 100ft. 10ft to 100 in 2 weekends, not bad!

Glad the Skype session worked for you and you were able to learn how to switch from Valsalva to Frenzel. It makes all the difference.

I hope you can make it to Fort Lauderdale for an ocean session or to take the Intermediate course, we both know you have more in you.

Stay in touch and dive safe!

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444

Last edited by ImmersionFD; 01-29-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #40
VirginMarine

As a lifelong freediver and 3rd generation spearfisherman, I have to say approaching this course I was skeptical what I would learn. I had been taught from about the age of 8 how to freedive from someone who could Hawaiian sling fish at depths of over 100ft. I myself could spearfish in the 40ft range, but never really understood why I could not make it farther than a painful 50ft.
It’s not easy coming to terms with the fact that everything you have been taught about freediving could have been so fundamentally wrong and dangerous—but it’s worth it.
The way my family would freedive was extremely dangerous—and this is the first and most important thing to comment on regarding Ted’s course. I was taught from a child to hyperventilate before a dive to store up enough air, as many people are and used to do in the old days. Ted’s approach at systematically addressing each aspect of freediving safely is tremendous. He has the presence of a college professor and in a clear and understandable way fundamentally changed how safe my family is when we do what we love. It is completely true that after the course you won’t want to dive with people who have not taken the course for this reason. You can save them, but who the hell is going to save you?
But now on to the meat and potatoes: how did the course change my performance. Frenzle. Frenzle frenzle frenzle frenzle. I was equalizing wrong, but horribly wrong. The skype session ahead of time was absolutely essential, as was practicing hundreds of times the night before. What is hilarious is when I try to show this trick to all of my spearfishing buddies who USED to be able to dive deeper than me THEY ALL DO IT NATURALLY! That was the ONLY reason those bastards were performing better. The fact is that in Ted’s course for three days he is shoveling massive amounts of information in to your head that by the bitter end of the course when put together what you get is a deep depth symphony. After diving 50 feet and hanging there with ease, I had to console my 14 year old niece who made it to 47 feet by telling her she had beaten my lifelong best at age 14! And she lives in Missouri!
Even aside from the freediving instruction, on our last day of diving some friendly sharks decided to drop by and investigate us. With years of being in the water with sharks I must say it was a pleasure being with Ted in the water. It was clear that aside from his instruction he is a master also at handling marine wildlife and of safety. We truly enjoyed being in the ocean and admiring such beautiful creatures and did so safely.
Can’t wait to move to the next step! I keep hearing “mammalian dive reflex” over and over in my head.
Sincerely,
Scott Virgin
VirginMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #41
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Here is the course video from the last Intermediate course. Got a nice shot of large Mola Mola and a juvenile shark.

Two students had ZERO freediving experience and they did the 2.5 day PFI Freediver course and the 4 day PFI Intermediate course back to back. They both easily hit 100ft the last day in the ocean.

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444

Last edited by ImmersionFD; 02-20-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #42
wvandeman
FSDA Freedive chair

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you to Ted Harty and Immersion Freediving for the incredible results I got from working with him in his personalized coaching program. Ted was one of my intermediate instructors back in 2010 and took a great deal of time with me on a couple occasions in phone and person to help this aspiring freediver. Ted was also teaching with Kirk Krack when I started in the professional program last year and I learned unspeakable volumes from two masters of our sport.

At the end of the professional program it was apparent I still had some work to get to the level required for my end goal of instructor so I enrolled in Ted's coaching program. After seeing Nick Mevoli's results, I figured it had to be something different than the cardio, dynamics and apnea work I could do on my own so I started the personalized program with Ted. I can't tell you how much that decision changed my approach and understanding of training, as Ted pushed me to overcome some mental barriers that were the true limiting factors in our sport. I just finished a huge professional goal yesterday, and I couldn't be happier that I got to test out with my coach. Ted's personal investment with his students is becoming pretty well known, but i just wanted to take another opportunity to thank him for helping me break some barriers and achieve the next step in my freediving goals!

Bill Van Deman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bil and Ted.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	186043  

Last edited by wvandeman; 03-06-2013 at 03:49 PM.
wvandeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #43
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Glad to see your hard work paid off Bill. I'm glad my distance training program helped you reach your goals.

After the trip we had a WELL deserved cold beer at the World Famous Pirate Bar which is attached to my marina. Certainly one of my favorite parts of the course

Good luck out there Bill, and your always welcome out on the lines.

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444
Old 03-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #44
Spear4fish
GuySnell

My name is Guy Snell and I am a 17 year old high school student down in the Florida Keys. Walking into the intermediate course I believed I was a fairly experienced freediver and spear fisherman. I quickly realized my mistake....The steps Ted takes to introduce you to a proper form of freediving and freediving safety is unparalleled to any other way of teaching I have seen. Be it the way you equalize, your buddy safety, or your kick strokes, you are guided and instructed down to the most minute detail by Ted until you have achieved the set goal and have an understanding if the topic. Believing in yourself is one part of it, and another is gaining the knowledge and confidence to be able to believe you have the capabilities to dive to a certain depth or rescue a buddy who blacked out. Rescue and safety is the most important aspect of freediving and is severely underrated. Ted teaches you about the bodies limits and why certain things happen and how to control and or deal with them if or when they occur. After you have an understanding about what your body is doing and why, you can proceed with more confidence in your dives.

After this course with Immersion Freediving I gained that Confidence and Knowledge. I am now able to go out and apply my new set of skills to my every day activities. I went in with a max depth of 70ish feet and did my dives very dangerously, and came out with a 86' dive done with ease and control. I wish I had been able to do the max depth ( 130') because it was absolutely within my capabilities however I became sea sick and retired to the boat. Nevertheless, I plan on breaking that depth soon. In the mean time get on over to IMMERSION FREEDIVING and sign yourself up for a life changing course!!!!
Spear4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #45
ImmersionFD
Sponsor

Here the video testimonials from the last class. 3 of the 4 were spearos.

Bryan progressed added 2 minutes to his breath hold from 3:15 to 5:15 and went from 50ft to 90ft.

John has progressed from 25ft to 115ft with Immersion Freediving.

Stefano, a life long spearo traveled all the way from South America in Panama, to come train with Immersion. He added one minute to his breath hold and did a 100ft freedive.

Mike a long time spearo from Tampa, hit 100ft as well.

Ted Harty

Immersion Freediving
954-324-4444