Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #1
Cnorthcott

Question Looking for Speargun Recommendations

Spearboard Community,

I have recently taken up spearfishing and am looking for a new gun. I have only had one speargun; the SEAC 55cm. I used it once for about 5 hours in the lower Florida Keys and got skunked. After doing some research i have realized that the speargun i purchased was not quite what i was looking for.

I need some advice for what i should purchase next. I plan to use it for both Northeastern striped bass fishing and miscellaneous key west fishing. If it is possible to find a gun that can do both and have the ability to go after some mahi, i would be willing to pay anything. I would prefer to have a band gun with the ability to add a reel.

If you have any recommendations i would love to hear them. I have done some research and can't seem to find the right one. I'm pretty young, only 17, so the gun would be need to last awhile. I have about $350 saved, so i guess that is my budget.

Thanks, Caleb Northcott

Last edited by Cnorthcott; 01-15-2017 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Change of Title
Cnorthcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:39 PM   #2
skygear
          

Re: Beginner Speargun Recomendations

how soon?
skygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
jfjf

Take a look at a MAKO 110 Enclosed track Gun with the optional reel... Should do pretty much everything you want and come in under budget.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Iconic-...un-p/miets.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/Speargu...es-p/msrps.htm
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:24 AM   #4
skygear
          

Get a Slip tip too with a threaded shaft. I shoot rock fish too and they can get ridiculous when they flee.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
diveincanada

striped bass, mahi, 350$.. go get a nice Mako.
Since you are starting, I would get a float and float line to attach the gun. It will be a better set up to start. You can drop the gun, it will always be at the end of the floatline and if you're shore diving, you need a marker anyway.. You can get a reel later but start with the floatline set up..
Not sure how tall and strong you are but I would hesitate between a 110 or 120cm..
Enjoy !
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
BajaMike

I have a Mako 130 ETR and I love it for shore reef stuff. Much like you it was my second gun. I am now at a point that I am upgrading my guns (not because the Mako is not capable). I enjoy the look and feel of the wood guns but my Mako will never leave.

BajaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
skygear
          

Re: Looking for Speargun Recommendations

My question is this. What gear do you have already? ?mm hooded suits, float line, float, fins, mask, snorkel, belt, weights, knifes, dive flag, kayak, stringer, socks, gloves, light, gun model, reel, etc.

I am this due to me diving in the cold murky water. Can't go wrong with the Mako guns. But without some of the other basics, like a warm suit, your experience in the cold won't be the best.

I made my first dive flag out of laminated teslin. I skimped on everything except my gun. Too thin of a suit, the days in the cold water were horrible besides shooting a fish. As I was able to upgrade all my gear, the most important thing was a nice WARM suit.

Once you get used to a gun and know it's limitations and capabilities. The rest is being comfortable stalking your prey.

Are you happy with your current gear setup besides the gun?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Cnorthcott

Right now I have a 3mm 2 piece wetsuit, which I am comfortable in to about 50 degrees F. I have the flag, line and knife. My mask and snorkel are alright. Right now it's only the fins and my gun I'm looking to swap out. My gun now is the SEAC 55cm sting sling. Now that I know this is something I really take interest in, I'm willing to pay for the nicer gear.

Thanks, Caleb Northcott
Cnorthcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #9
diveincanada

Spearfishing and tools... always buy the good stuff right away or you'll end up buy twice...
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #10
e.m.p!

If you want an indestructible gun, consider Rob Allen. They're simple and bulletproof. I personally prefer Italian and Greek guns but RA are made to last and get the job done.
e.m.p! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #11
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

for a beginner gun, get a Mako predator pro (whatever they're on now, gen 3?)
If you use it enough, you'll have an idea for what you want in your next gun.

Tangent: Skygear, you mention cold water diving. I use a Mako 5mm suit in 30s-40s F water. It's been fine for warmth, but it's about at the end of its life. It's old enough that it had the Velcro beavertail and all the Velcro is gone. I spent 2 hours in 40F water with a beaver tail that wouldn't close... not fun. (Also, I'm sure it's pretty compressed).

So, if not Mako, then who would you recommend? I would get another 5mm mako, but I'm open to new experiences.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #12
Coos-spearo

Make a rule to support the sport by purchasing products from manufacturers that give back through instructional videos and helpful posts on this site. Then you are promoting the right companies that are in business for your best interests. You will find that you will buy far less equipment, own better equipment and have a more successful diving experience. A dialogue with the company you support is highly important. As simple as this sport is, it is highly complex in its details. Work with people that can help you understand the details.
Coos-spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #13
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coos-spearo View Post
Make a rule to support the sport by purchasing products from manufacturers that give back through instructional videos and helpful posts on this site. Then you are promoting the right companies that are in business for your best interests. You will find that you will buy far less equipment, own better equipment and have a more successful diving experience. A dialogue with the company you support is highly important. As simple as this sport is, it is highly complex in its details. Work with people that can help you understand the details.
Maybe a company that supports veterans... Loaning them gear for free and doing dozens of charity auctions generating many thousands of dollars to support veterans and their families..
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #14
hatterasfreedvr

It''s the indian, not the arrow. Put some more time in and you'll get it. Being properly weighted and moving very slow will help you the most. Fish know when you are hunting them. Get a yellow polespear and spend the rest of your money on a rubber weight belt and some longfins. Good luck dude!
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #15
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

A great gun to start with is a Rob Allen 110, we sell 1000's a year, they're cheap, bomb proof and have been around since the test of time. Remember quality above all else. You don't want to have to buy a new gun in two years from now. We have customers who have had RA's for 15 years and never had a problem. For $350 you can get a Gun, RA hard float and use an inexpensive float line.

Call our Florida store and we can talk you through it. Neptonics is the most trusted spearfishing retail outlet in the country and we take pride in maintaining that reputation. Just check out this poll from Spearboard. 98.77% customer satisfaction.

Two day free shipping, tax free outside of FL.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote