Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
Thumper1

Big guy wetsuit

Hey guys.
Looking into wetsuits. Seeing some problems for me. I am 6'2" and 240lbs. I was looking at mako wetsuits and they say the xxl goes up to 220. Is there any one out there around my size that has one? How does it fit.
If not what other wetsuits work for a guy my size?
Thanks
Thumper
Thumper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
Triton

Re: Big guy wetsuit

This one would work well for you in 3XL

https://benthicoceansports.com/colle...eels3mmwetsuit

or this in 3XL

https://benthicoceansports.com/colle...oastal-wetsuit
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
Thumper1

Thanks but I'm looking for a 5mm suit. It gets cold on the California coast in winter
Old 09-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
Coos-spearo

I am a big guy! Tall and heavy too I am 6'4" and 240 lbs. and you can always buy an Elios straight out of Italy that will fit you. The dollar has been strong compared to the euro so it is not a bad time to do that. I own an Elios and I would say it is as good as it gets. If you insist on paying a US manufacturer for a big suit, Yazbeck has great suits that will fit. I recently bought a Yazbeck in 5mm. And, so does Riffe. Only trust a big guy when dealing with big guy suits.
Coos-spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #5
Thumper1

So basically no one makes a 5mm wetsuit that will fit me for under 350 that won't fall apart. And I thought finding shoes was hard....sheesh
Old 09-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
Coos-spearo

I have tried less expensive suits and I had to send them right back. They were made for another culture with shorter arms. Or the xxxl was for a 215 lb. male. You can buy the 4hour Body book from Tim Ferris and he has a great eating plan that will allow you to drop 20 lbs. I do know a guy that is 6'4" and 215lbs and the Mako suit is just a tad large for him. So that suit is for a true 225lb, athletic male. The Elios suit in New Mimetic is so soft it has fit me at 260lbs. That is when I bought the Tim Ferris book! Not a lot of options out there, but the options you have are top of the line.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
NORCAL BOY
Grumpy old diver!

I have been diving the Mako 5mil open cell for a few years now. The xxl has served me well (about the same size as you) & I'm actually looking forward to latest model to arrive in the mail anyday now! This last suit has held up well to norcal/shoredive conditions. Good luck.
NORCAL BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #8
Thumper1

]Norcal, when you say about what do you mean if you don't mind me asking. I don't mind it being a bit tight on the midsection but I'm worried about having wide shoulders and chest

Last edited by Thumper1; 09-06-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #9
Thumper1

You guys got me thinking that I should just try a mako suit on. Do any socal shops carry them or is it just online?
Old 09-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #10
Magno

Big Boy here, 6'2", 250. Love my XXL Mako suits. They fit great. Started with a 3mm and then bought a 5mm for winter. I've never worn any other brands, but I've also never felt like I needed to. Once these finally wear out (going on 3 and 2 years) I wouldn't hesitate to reorder. And, you really can't beat the price.
Magno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #11
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Hey Thumper1,

Thanks for your interest in my wetsuits. I really appreciate it.

As most guys know, my wetsuits are made of Yamamoto neoprene which is considered by most to be the best and most stretchy neoprene in the world. And, because I sell direct to divers, instead of through dive shops my prices are amazingly low.

Having said that, even though Yamamoto neoprene is the most stretchy neoprene available, you would be well served in going with a 3XL.

In approximately 2 weeks, I should have my MAKO Yamamoto 3D Reef camo suits available in 3XL in the following thicknesses: 5MM and 7mm.

Each suit includes ergonomic face seal, tailored wrist and ankle cuffs, chest loading pad, knee pads, beaver tail with clips and what many consider a lifesaving feature, a “kill knife pocket” which eliminates the possibility of your knife becoming tangled in your shooting line, reel line, floatline, rogue nets, or even kelp.

Additionally, each suit comes with farmer john bottoms for added warmth. If you don’t like the farmer john bottoms, I placed a horizontal main seam in such a manner so as to allow you to cut the farmer john part off, converting the bottoms into high waist bottoms, instead of farmer johns.

Please shoot me an email when you get a chance and I will follow up with you on the exact arrival date.

Thanks again, Thumper, for your support.

And thanks, Norcal Boy and Mango for your support as well. Oh yeah..thanks guys for emailing me about this thread!

Dive safe,
dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:08 AM   #12
Thumper1

Sweeeeeeet!!!!! That's awesome news!!!! And the timing is pretty much perfect!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #13
Coos-spearo

Mako: Let me know when they are in and I will order/test one. I am 6'4" and 240lbs. If it fits me it will open the doors for new divers. William
Old 09-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #14
NORCAL BOY
Grumpy old diver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper1 View Post
]Norcal, when you say about what do you mean if you don't mind me asking. I don't mind it being a bit tight on the midsection but I'm worried about having wide shoulders and chest
Yo Thumper- I run around 6' 4" & 245lbs. Stretch of this material makes fit comfy for sure. Good luck.
NORCAL BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #15
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

For the record, I'm 6'4", 245lbs and all I've ever used is a Mako. My only complaint is a bit of room in the small of my back. I've used it in temps down to the mid-30s F. It is absolutely a serviceable suit. I just ordered whatever size Dano recommended when I asked him and it seems to be fine.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote