Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
Charles dT

62" Hybrid build

Hello everyone!
After my IKEA speargun it didn't take long to want to try to build a new gun and I recently bought through this forum a 62" hybrid blank and am hoping to finish it.
The teak and CF tube were already glued together. I will add pictures when I get home.
It was originally a Daryl Wong kit that he sent to the1st owner (teak blank, CF tube, rail for CF section)
I bought from Daryl his handle,.mech and a Delrin closed track for the teak section and set to work.
I bought a little router from a neighbor and routed the mech pocket. Then I needed to route a 1/2 inch square path for the Delton track.
That's when I started pulling my hair out and hope you can chime in with ideas...
The CF rail and the delrin track are not flush, the latter sits a little higher than the CF rail. To lower the delrin track more I think I would need to bite into the C.F. tube. Is that something you absolutely want to avoid for structural integrity or not? Roughly 80%90% of the circumference of the tube would still be intact.

The only other options I can think of is either to raise the C.F. rail with a layer of wood or fabric between the rail and the CF tube but wood would be tricky as I need to conform to the tube's shape. Fabric and epoxy otherwise? Could be really messy.
Any ideas welcome and I will post pictures as soon as I can to make it easier to see what is happening.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk
Charles dT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
Xylophone

Re: 62" Hybrid build

I've never used a delrin track, but is there enough meat on the bottom that you could sand the bottom face of the delrin to bring it down in line with the rail? Or is it off by too much to reconcile with sanding?
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
Nix

I'll wait to see the pics to understand better but I think there is a really easy solution. For the rest of the project, it sounds like fun. I'd make it a rear handle and bring the handle much higher that a wong gun. The handle you made on the ikea gun would look sick on a rear handle hybrid and so unique.

Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Charles dT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylophone View Post
I've never used a delrin track, but is there enough meat on the bottom that you could sand the bottom face of the delrin to bring it down in line with the rail? Or is it off by too much to reconcile with sanding?
Hi Xylophone, I'm considering it but it would certainly make the track bottom extremely thin. Current thickness is around 1/16th of an inch. I'll take measurements tonight and send pictures that illustrate this.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Charles dT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
I'll wait to see the pics to understand better but I think there is a really easy solution. For the rest of the project, it sounds like fun. I'd make it a rear handle and bring the handle much higher that a wong gun. The handle you made on the ikea gun would look sick on a rear handle hybrid and so unique.
Hi Nix,
Yep, definititely going for a mid handle. I already purchased the Wong handle but can see about using it on this gun or not... for now here is one pic that sorts of illustrates whats happening. If I go any deeper I'll start routing through the carbon fiber tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180312_175851.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	237324  
Old 03-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Nix

Are you against leaving it as an open track? An open track will have less resistance and way easier to fit it. Unless you use a thin shaft with too much power, there's really no advantage to using the closed track. If you make it an open track you'll be able to just let the wood meet the track on the barrel flushly and have a hybrid that is simple to use and maintain.

Good luck!!

Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #7
triponempa
internet troll

that tube is only set in wood in 4"? that seems like too little for a 62"gun.
anyway - with the problems - why not ask wong? he made the kit - if the track wont line up with the rail - then the kit is off - no?
i have a solution but its probably not doable -since you dont have the tools- but pour the track full of epoxy and route the track in the right spot
ps - i would ask around about the wong handles - you may want to send it back (muzzle too)
pss - why not put an extra layer of double sided tape and raise the rail to meet the track?
triponempa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:11 AM   #8
Charles dT

Thanks everyone!
In fact it seems like I panicked earlier. After further inspection I realized the Delrin track was stuck a few mm too high. (see picture) Now that I have really forced it all the way down everything seems to line up.
@triponempa: I agree that the CF tube doesn't look set very deep (it's actually 2.5 inches not even 4). The assembly does looks rocks solid so not sure if I should worry or not.
@Nix: I'm doing this speargun as a surprise for a friend and am pretty sure he would like a closed track. If I ever do a hybrid for myself -I hope so!- I would probably do a deep open track. Possibly magnets inset to hold the shaft... but let's not derail this thread :-)

Anyway so I'm back in business... until the next issue. Will try to keep posting as I go, but can only find a few hours per week at most so this is going to take a while.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180313_210612.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	237333  

Last edited by Charles dT; 03-14-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:17 AM   #9
Charles dT

Don't know how I did that as I was super careful measuring everything but somehow went too deep on the mech pocket by 1/16" so I poured something like 1/8" epoxy at the bottom of the mech pocket and will route again. Hopefully I don't mess up the pocket doing this.

You will also see a few imperfections on the pocket (side , and went too far towards the butt). This is the first time I am using a router and am still adjusting to how to use it.

This is the set up I came up with to try and limit mouvement of the blank when routing the mech pocket and track.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180311_120459.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	237334   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180311_110815 (1).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	237335   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180313_213542.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	237336  
Old 03-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #10
triponempa
internet troll

you can route the mech pocket deeper than you need - no need to fill with epoxy next time.
most builders just route all the way down and out the bottom - it makes no real difference - but to be easier - you should always route the mech pocket deeper (bigger all around really) - like a really smart dude once said - "no good ever came of a tight mech pocket" - i think it was Gil - or maybe wood guy - i forget

that tube is inserted into the wood - 2.5"only?? wow
i do 9 "on my hybrids over 60" - and pin them
triponempa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #11
manoa matt

Peel and stick a track on the barrel: http://www.spearfishingworld.com/jbl...ail-track.html
manoa matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
Charles dT

Thanks Guys. Started routing the trigger pocket last night but forgot to take pictures. Nothing you haven't seen already!

I wish I had known Gil's quote before pouring the epoxy... oh well, another 2 days to wait before I can route and get back to work.

A few upcoming questions I'm beginnging to have:
-any tips on pinning a Delrin track? I read somewhere I had to use a #4 screw near the mech side of the track and leave the other free due to differences in wood/delrin expansion rates with temp and humidity. I'm a little concerned it could flop out at the other end so might put something like a tab to keep the track in place.
-I'd like to put stainless steel screw inserts to be able to put a reel one day. Are these standard or are they brand specific? I saw Reef was selling them but does it tie me to a Reef reel only?
-do hardware stores sell 3/16" stainless steel rods?
Thanks
Old 03-18-2018, 12:39 AM   #13
Charles dT

Ok, so some light progress since last time. I wanted to fill what seems to be some air space around the CF tube so went ahead and did that. Sealed the junction CF/wood with a hot glue gun and some masking tape and then poured some epoxy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180314_073926.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	237386   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180314_074659.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	237387   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180314_080532.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	237388  
Old 03-18-2018, 12:43 AM   #14
Charles dT

I routed out the extra epoxy to reach the desired depth - now I know this was an unnecessary step...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180315_221526.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	237389   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180315_221602.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	237390  
Old 03-18-2018, 12:51 AM   #15
Charles dT

Then I wanted to start installing the pins for the mech. But to do that I needed to get a shaft locked and so had to deal with the Delrin track. That's where things went wrong...
I had read you pin them with a #4 screw and had found a brass one (couldn't find stainless steel) but when I attempted to screw it in I hadn't countersunk enough of a hole so it got locked and was in the way and to make things worse the screw head got destroyed in no time at all.
I ended up drill a small bit in it and got the parts out.
I removed the Delrin track and flipped it so the drilled part is now closer to the muzzle. It holds really tight for now without any screws and so either I will leave it as is, or I will get suggestions from you guys. I'm thinking maybe a sort of tab over it and behind where the shark fins would be would also pin it down otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180316_182835.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	237391   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180316_193523.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	237392   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180317_073613.jpg
Views:	114