Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Old 08-27-2003, 12:23 PM   #1
LSUBigL

Send a message via AIM to LSUBigL
Where to dive in Texas?

I'm looking for info on the major areas to be dove in Texas. how far out do you have to go? Rigs or Reefs? What spearfishing guides are available for what locations, etc...

I live in Houston and would like to learn more about diving in Texas.

Thanks.

Big L
LSUBigL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
Baxter

Rigs

You'll want to dive the rigs. The deeper the water, the more visibility, and the bigger the fish that hang out at the rigs. Leaving from Matagorda, you're in about 75 feet of water 20 miles out, and 160 feet of water 40 miles out. That's just to give you a general idea; it depends on what direction you go also, of course.

Jerry Emerson at Scuba Houston on Kimberly in West Houston does spearfishing trips out of Freeport. There's probably some info on their website, www.scubahouston.com. I haven't dove with him, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't run a good trip.
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 01:29 PM   #3
Sliptip

For a more tropical experience

In Port Aransas/Corpus Christi try: http://www.frogmans.com/ or http://www.copelandsinc.com/ or http://www.ascubaventure.com/

In Port Isabel try: http://www.sandslave.com/scubaspi/charters.html
Sliptip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 02:30 PM   #4
GoDivin

You are going to have a hard time finding good water anywhere close to shore leaving out of Galveston...unless you get lucky. The further south you go on the Texas coast the closer the continental shelf break is to shore, which means that it gets deeper faster, and blue water approaches the beach. For example Port Mansfield to Port Isabel often gets blue water onshore, where Galveston is lucky to get an emerald green. Port Aransas is the median. Blue water hits the beach a few times each summer and generally you can hit blue water between 15-18 miles offshore provided there are not hurricanes in the forcast. There are more than just rigs to dive, just have to know where to look.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:59 PM   #5
joens

there are the artificial reefs http://www.rsca.org/mgfb/temp/texas_tablecode.txt
Old 08-28-2003, 02:36 PM   #6
LSUBigL

How far out do you have to go to get to water that has a sandy (visible) bottom?

I've dove in LA many times and there's no seeing the bottom there, even if it were shallow enough to do so.

How far out do you need to go to find a rig holding mangroves?

Thanks for all the info!!!

Big L
Old 08-28-2003, 03:55 PM   #7
GoDivin

LSUBigL....mangroves can be found just about everwhere around Port Aransas...just pick a rig. Don't know much about up north around Galveston. I am sure it is similar once you hit good water. I have speared several mangroves this summer anywhere from 9 miles off the beach in Port A, to 40 miles out.

As far as visible bottom...good luck. It all depends on the depth of water, and what the currents are doing. Usually there is a semi-perminant thermocline over the continental shelf that is between 70-100 feet. Associated with this thermocline is a nephloid layer, i.e. the murky layer, or as Sr. Fontova would say, "the tall grass." Tuesday 8/26 we went to 125' but vis went from 100' to 5' right about 90 feet down.

My best experience with bottom vis was at one of my favorite rigs near Port A that is in 80 feet of water. Typically at this rig there is no nephloid layer and you don't hit the thermocline (or at least a very slight one). This equates to 30+ feet of vis on the bottom...with about 60-100 at the surface depending on the day.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:31 PM   #8
LSUBigL

yeah...i've read Helldiver's Rodeo too, and am familiar with the bottom murk. The bottom murk in Louisiana is entirely a product of the Mississippi River. I've heard that as you move away from the Mississippi (west or east), the bottom is no longer covered with mud but with sand, which is much more dense than mud and not as easily suspended, thus allowing more vis. personally, i've never seen this, but am glad to know that it's out there (as you mentioned about your honey hole)

The one rig i dove out of Galveston was 10 miles from the East Jetties, and in about 55 feet of water. the vis got really murky (a foot or less) around 35 to 40 feet. i didn't go any further to see if it got worse or better. We saw spadefish, sheepshead, and a few small mangroves. not much rig structure there though.

I'll have to get on down south a bit and hop in. It sounds sweet!
Old 08-28-2003, 07:31 PM   #9
joens

you are correct on the mississippi river causing most of the murk but there are smaller rivers dumping into the gulf all along the texas coast .they contribute to the murk in our area .
Old 08-29-2003, 01:59 PM   #10
LSUBigL

yeah, the biggest problem is the distance. 20 miles to hit 75 feet? I think taking my bay boat out that far might be a little risky. Maybe I'll rig it up with some sails just in case.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:59 PM   #11
grumpydog

Leaving out of Sabine Pass we usuall get blue water no closer than 40-50 miles, might be in 60-80 ft depth. Depending on the previous weather and the tides, there have been times that we have had 50-75 ft vis all the way to the bottom, or, like last trip, had great viewing to about 60 ft, then a murk layer with 5-10 ft vis. the mangroves were all shallower, in the 20-40 ft depths, hanging out with the triggerfish, who may be paid bodyguards. the big red snapper were in the murk. it was still fun playing hid and seek with them. got a good workout reloading after snapshooting so often.
grumpydog is offline   Reply With Quote