Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing > California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA)

California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA) Here is a dedicated forum for the extremely important MLPA & MPA process

Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Noyo Jim
RFA

New MLPA Statewide Interest Group Roster

The new MLPA Statewide Interest Group (SIG) had its first conference call today. I was appointed to the SoCal SIG group this time around. They also appointed Ben Acker, Steve Scheiblauer and Kenyon Hensel, whom the California Fisheries Coalition nominated, along with myself.

The SIG serves to provide feedback to the MLPA I team and BRTF about broad issues related to statewide interests. For example, I brought up the issue of wave energy projects proposed off Ventura, Humboldt and Fort Bragg, and how to deal with that in the context of the MLPA. The Statewide Interest Group does not draw lines on maps or discuss local issues, but rather review the process at "the 30,000 foot altitude level" as Scott McCreary, one of the MLPA staff facilitators.

The biggest change for the SIG this time, compared to previous incarnations, is its composition. There are a number of appointments for state legislative staff (Fred Euphrat, from Senator Wiggins' office, and Jonathan Hardy, from Senator Ducheney's office) and a local Fort Bragg city council member, Jere Melo.

Most of the meeting was more or less a briefing, but the SIG will have 5 more meetings, each about 10 days or so after a BRTF meeting in SoCal, so we can digest recent developments.

As the SoCal MLPA process moves forward, if there are issues anglers & divers would like to raise at the Statewide Interest Group level, please feel free to contact me.

Here is the roster of members of the new SIG:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B2 SIG Member Roster 090211.pdf (220.1 KB, 194 views)
www.JoinRFA.org

Register for the Tenth Annual Randy Fry Dive Tourney at Albion on Oct. 12th:
www./randyfry2013.eventbrite.com

Last edited by Noyo Jim; 02-13-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Noyo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Seacidal

Re: New MLPA Statewide Interest Group Roster

Congratulations Jim! Great to hear that you'll be there. The wave energy projects you mentioned are definitely something to watch. And I'm not saying that just because one of them might be put in my front yard.

I'm looking forward to reading any reports or updates you provide. Thanks again, and please let us know how we can help out.
Chip

Seacidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

That sounds great Jim. At least they will get plenty of input from people who know what the real logistical problems of placing an MLPA are!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Seacidal

From further review of the SIG composition, Jim, it looks like you may have your work cut out for you finding common ground. I wish you the best in working to achieve the appropriate outcomes. Thanks!
Seacidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Noyo Jim
RFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacidal View Post
From further review of the SIG composition, Jim, it looks like you may have your work cut out for you finding common ground. I wish you the best in working to achieve the appropriate outcomes. Thanks!
Actually, common ground is not a primary objective of these conference calls. It's not part of the official record and we can say things that are a little more frank and blunt than we could if we were at a public meeting...
www.JoinRFA.org

Register for the Tenth Annual Randy Fry Dive Tourney at Albion on Oct. 12th:
www./randyfry2013.eventbrite.com
Noyo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote