Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-18-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
JPirner

Exclamation Need help getting gear in Cali!

Hello all!
I am a freediver and avid spearo on holiday in the US. I came here for an exchange program from overseas, and this is my first time in the US. I have now taken a 10 day trip to California. Due to space and money limitations (regulations are ridiculous) I was unable to bring my gear. I now find myself surrounded by fish-filled waters with nothing but a mask and snorkel.

My initial attempt was to find a rental place, but guns cannot be rented due to liability issues. The last store owner I spoke to suggested I ask around on this website. My question: is anyone willing to lend or rent out spearfishing equipment to a frustrated fellow spearo? I would buy new gear but I have very little money left and just recently purchased a new gun, which leaves me with no excuse.

If anybody can help out, with a gun or just some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I am only here for another week, and I cannot live with the thought of coming to Cali without testing out its waters, so any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Jan Pirner
JPirner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
jujitsu4me

Re: Need help getting gear in Cali!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPirner View Post
Hello all!
I am a freediver and avid spearo on holiday in the US. I came here for an exchange program from overseas, and this is my first time in the US. I have now taken a 10 day trip to California. Due to space and money limitations (regulations are ridiculous) I was unable to bring my gear. I now find myself surrounded by fish-filled waters with nothing but a mask and snorkel.

My initial attempt was to find a rental place, but guns cannot be rented due to liability issues. The last store owner I spoke to suggested I ask around on this website. My question: is anyone willing to lend or rent out spearfishing equipment to a frustrated fellow spearo? I would buy new gear but I have very little money left and just recently purchased a new gun, which leaves me with no excuse.

If anybody can help out, with a gun or just some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I am only here for another week, and I cannot live with the thought of coming to Cali without testing out its waters, so any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Jan Pirner
what part of cali r u in?
jujitsu4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
bent_shaft
Face Down Bass Up

i would contact james and joseph, in san diego. you might want to mention what part of california you will be diving, and maybe where you are coming from, a long with your experience level so we have some insight on what kind of gear you need.
bent_shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
NaClAddict

Where you at?
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
JPirner

thank you guys for the replies. I am back from Cali but just to clear things up... I was in Santa Cruz and then LA (Hermosa Beach). I am not sure if either of those places have good spots. LA looked pretty bleak, fishermen fishing from the piers only caught very few decent fish. Santa Cruz looked like it has some nice structure, with cliffs and kelp beds that looked fairly healthy. How are these places fish-wise?

I ended up trying to buy a cheap polespear. I have never used one but it would have been a nice experience anyway. Halibut and Corbina, neither or which are great spearing fish, would have atleast made for a decent meal. the problem was that while the polespear would have retailed for 40 bucks, the tip was an additional 40. I ended up missing out on that part of cali and I really regret it. you live and you learn I guess.

Can any of you tell me (for next time) about where to fish and what the best species are? I know that yellowtail are popular over there, and ive never seen one but their behavior and shape resembles the AJs we have in the Med.

As for experience level, I am 20 years old and have been in the water my entire life, although I only got into freediving a few years ago. My regular Depth is 20 meters (60 feet) but for short dives I can get into the early 80s. Im not sure how that translates in America.

Feel free to leave any info about spearfishing there, as I hope to return as soon as I have the money. Thanks all!
JPirner is offline   Reply With Quote